Winter Golf- Who has the advantage?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So do low handicappers only win in the summer because........
Surely low handicappers are low because they’re good, not because high handicappers are in the rough, in all the bunkers, putting on sloped greens and the course is long.
Surely with the low handicappers ability the winter conditions you describe sound perfect for them to rip the course apart.
I agree that winter conditions will give a high handicapper a helping hand, but not a clear advantage.
Out of the 2 groups, one is mostly depending on ability while the other is hoping for a bit of luck.
This thread makes it sound as if once winter comes low handicappers lose their ability to hit a fairway, forget their club distances and the ability to putt. :confused:
not really I think it’s just there’s no bunkers around the temps ,tees pushed forward.
Most high cappers make to many bad decisions on full length course, but in winter there is very little trouble to get into.
Low men just play their own game but can be tempted to go for greens off short tees.
Dont think anyone has a clear advantage it’s just a nice day out.
I think winter and short course lulls you into thinking you have got it sussed as everyone plays (scores better).imo.
But looking at next week there won’t be much golf here -6 on Merseyside Monday.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
So do low handicappers only win in the summer because........
Surely low handicappers are low because they’re good, not because high handicappers are in the rough, in all the bunkers, putting on sloped greens and the course is long.
Surely with the low handicappers ability the winter conditions you describe sound perfect for them to rip the course apart.
I agree that winter conditions will give a high handicapper a helping hand, but not a clear advantage.
Out of the 2 groups, one is mostly depending on ability while the other is hoping for a bit of luck.
This thread makes it sound as if once winter comes low handicappers lose their ability to hit a fairway, forget their club distances and the ability to putt. :confused:

Obviously not - but there isn't much of a prize for hitting the fairway when there is no rough.

Also - no greenside bunkers so a missed temp green is not going to cause the same problems as it would the rest of the year.

Similarly, not much of a prize for 1 or 2 putting every temp green when a high handicapper getting shots may do similar with a flat green and big winter hole.

I was a high handicapper who would shoot miles under par at this time of year and get totally lulled into a false sense of security as the game become much more difficult a few weeks later.

D

Deleted member 16999

not really I think it’s just there’s no bunkers around the temps ,tees pushed forward.
Most high cappers make to many bad decisions on full length course, but in winter there is very little trouble to get into.
Low men just play their own game but can be tempted to go for greens off short tees.
Dont think anyone has a clear advantage it’s just a nice day out.
I think winter and short course lulls you into thinking you have got it sussed as everyone plays (scores better).imo.
But looking at next week there won’t be much golf here -6 on Merseyside Monday.
Low handicappers are low because they’re good.
Even above you say in winter there’s very little trouble for the high handicappers, but low handicappers may make errors :confused:
Not long till spring and then the bandits come out of hibernation and take their turn to frustrate the low handicapper ;)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Low handicappers are low because they’re good.
Even above you say in winter there’s very little trouble for the high handicappers, but low handicappers may make errors :confused:
Not long till spring and then the bandits come out of hibernation and take their turn to frustrate the low handicapper ;)
I play off five and the biggest problem I have in winter is all the layers do affect your swing.
Many people don’t mind waterproofs but I hate them.
At the end of the day it’s winter golf mostly I don’t putt out on temps.
You are right low men make lots of errors but can make them up later on in the round, it’s just hard to get birds when on temps.
But as I say it’s swing and roundabouts I just try and enjoy my game while freezing my nuts off.

I have noticed guys who use watches etc struggle more than laser uses as they don’t give yds to temps.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
There are about 15 of us that have a roll up on a Saturday in Winter.

Shorter course, temporary greens, preferred lies through the green.

Higher handicappers have usually won as they reach the par 4’s in 2, although lower handicap players could reach par 5’s in 2( more par 4’s than 5’s)

Some lower handicappers feel at a disadvantage.

What is the general feeling please?

Who cares! It's not 'proper' golf (it's 'social' golf), so unless there's (a lot of) money at stake, the only consistency is that low handicappers will whinge about being at a disadvantage!

But my thoughts are that, in this case, they are probably correct!

Best way, imo, is to have a 'roll-up/swindle' handicap that is separate from, but initially based on, club handicap - and maybe some other 'adjustments' for new folk. I've experienced this in a couple of swindles (including those where considerable cash was involved) and it worked pretty well.

D

Deleted member 16999

Swings and roundabouts really unless the ground is actually frozen when random bounces are a great leveller.
Exactly Karen, :thup:
I guess some of these low handicappers need to learn to suck it up :whistle:
Sorry ;) couldn’t resist.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I agree with the sentiments that it's about practice. As we tend to be on the full course and it plays long, it's great to play woods and hybrids towards greens and learn to hit these of varying lies, hit irons properly (ball then turf to avoid the fat shot) and improve the pitching of wet muddy lies (or not in my case). I don't care apart from the comp rounds what I score and it's all about the social side.

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
that depends on YOUR handicap.
for me
scratch to 9 low
10 to 18 mid
19 and above high.

Why does it depend on MY handicap??
I find it hard to work out what is low, mid or high when it could come down to only one stroke of a golf ball to seperate them all.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
One reason not to play winter courses, play some proper winter comps of the back blocks. ideal for the handicap cut :) CSS up one always nice. real test of golf no roll out. still quick greens.

Temp greens perfect for use PlayMoreGolf members (when you don't play you don't pay)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why does it depend on MY handicap??
I find it hard to work out what is low, mid or high when it could come down to only one stroke of a golf ball to seperate them all.
not your personal H/cap .
i mean if I think of a low man it’s four or lower as they are lower than me, or high cap is six or higher than me , it depends on ones h/cap.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Swings and roundabouts really unless the ground is actually frozen when random bounces are a great leveller.

Exactly Karen, :thup:
I guess some of these low handicappers need to learn to suck it up :whistle:
Sorry ;) couldn’t resist.

I think you misunderstand Karen Paul.

When the conditions are considered a leveller it generally means that the advantages of one group are reduced as are the disadvantage of the other.

In this case the accuracy of the lower handicap with their approach shots is less significant because of both the nature of the target, and what happens when the ball lands exactly where they aim but bounces off in a random manner because of the frozen ground v trundling it down in the general direction. Either approach is more likely to have a similar outcome than would be the case in ideal conditions.

Then again I might be the one misunderstanding Karen :confused:

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site

When the conditions are considered a leveller it generally means that the advantages of one group are reduced as are the disadvantage of the other.

In this case the accuracy of the lower handicap with their approach shots is less significant because of both the nature of the target, and what happens when the ball lands exactly where they aim but bounces off in a random manner because of the frozen ground v trundling it down in the general direction. Either approach is more likely to have a similar outcome than would be the case in ideal conditions.

You got it Duncan!

D

Deleted member 16999

Cheers Duncan, I fully understood what Karen meant hence my first line, the rest was humour. Sorry for the confusion.