• Start date

Win or Handicap Cut

• Win

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • Handicap Cut

Votes: 36 65.5%

• Total voters

Visit site
Depends on the comp I'm playing in. A monthly medal, then it's a cut I'm after, got no chance against the hc manipulators. But last weeks club champs, it's the win I'm after, even if it meant going up in hc. 72&74 got me down to 2 and finished 3rd overall in the gross.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
If I have to choose, then a win, but I don't care for either, just getting out in good company and doing my best is all I ask, if either a win or HC cut comes from the round then both are just collateral with little meaning.

D

Deleted member 1147

I’ll take the win please; 2 reasons.

1. I think it’s more of an achievement to play (relatively) better than everyone else on the day regardless of the score (the prize doesn’t come into it)
2. Even in terrible conditions no comp at our place is being won with a score that wouldn’t get a really nice cut anyway.
That’s why the question is daft. The answers aren’t mutually exclusive!
Win & get cuts, or, get cuts and have a chance of wins!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I see my handicap as a mark of my ability and so of course the lower it goes the better I am playing and more regularly. As a result it is what drives me to work hard at my game to try and get better but is no longer the be all and end all it once was. As I've said I can only play as well as I can in a competition and if I shoot a good score the cut takes care of itself but I can't control the scores of anyone else so I may or may not win. Give me the cut and if the score is best in the division as well then happy days. if not I'm still happy

Springveldt

Visit site
That sleeve of balls and bottle of wine will be gone in couple of bad holes for the balls and 38 minutes for the wine, the Cut? now that might last a few months ;)
Your comps are very different to mine then. The one time I won a Saturday comp I got £120 in vouchers that could be split between the bar, the shop or your subs for next year.
I used them all in the shop and got a Ping Karsten TR Anser 2 putter.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Your comps are very different to mine then. The one time I won a Saturday comp I got £120 in vouchers that could be split between the bar, the shop or your subs for next year.
I used them all in the shop and got a Ping Karsten TR Anser 2 putter.

Nah I just bottle it when all the good prizes are on offer :cry:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
What would you rather see at the weekend comp.

You win with a 'poor' score and no handicap cut(as say the weather conditions are terrible and your 34 points or net 76 is enough to win)

or

Not a win but a handicap cut due to everyone else scoring well
When you word it that way, neither is really preferable. But I voted for handicap cut as that's what I'm really going for each comp round - winning the comp would just be a nice bonus. I never feel like I'm going all out to win since it's dependent on how everyone else plays - a factor you can't control. Whereas playing well enough to get cut is largely within your control.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
So shallow :LOL:.

A cut for me but then i'm a high h/c and that is the priority. If I was a better golfer then I would probably go win.
That's accurate I think. Anyone in double figures is surely looking to get their handicap down first and foremost. Single figures or those who may have plateaued handicap-wise will probably be more interested in the win.

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
A win without question - a win is an indication that on that day with your handicap you played the best golf (comparatively) out of everyone in the field. Plus, it's easier for others (non golfing colleagues!) to understand... "I won the comp at the weekend" vs "Played golf, wasn't in the prizes, but got a nice cut to my handicap"

Non golfers also understand that you want to be as close to scratch as possible. I'm a 4 handicap is better to say than Im a 20 handicap but won a couple of things last year because I get so much help.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Handicap cut.

Its nice to win things, but the true measure is your handicap.

I joined my first club on 1st Jan 2018, got given 22.
My aim was to get to 12 in 3 years.

Last week I won a board comp with a net 68 and got a cut to 9.3.
Delighted to win the competition, name will be up in gold leaf, but personally getting to single figures gives me a bigger buzz - staying there may not be so easy.
At least you will have a minimum of 2 comps mate👍

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Handicap cut.

Its nice to win things, but the true measure is your handicap.

I joined my first club on 1st Jan 2018, got given 22.
My aim was to get to 12 in 3 years.

Last week I won a board comp with a net 68 and got a cut to 9.3.
Delighted to win the competition, name will be up in gold leaf, but personally getting to single figures gives me a bigger buzz - staying there may not be so easy.

Very impressive progress.

A would take a big cut over a win.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I make no bones about it, I am competitive, I play sports to win. If by doing so, I get cut then great. I step out onto the field of play wanting to win, not simply take part.

Wanting to win isn't something to hide behind, there is no shame in it. I get the impression sometimes that some people think it is or there is something wrong with saying so. It isn't, there isn't anything wrong with it.

I love a good competition and to come out on top is the sweetest feeling.

This. I stand on the 1st with the intention of winning...nothing else.

The handicap cut will take care of itself.