Win or Handicap Cut

• Win

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • Handicap Cut

Votes: 36 65.5%

• Total voters

User20204

Visit site
I don't play for wins, yes sounds arrogant but I play to be the best I can be, a win as nice as it may be means nothing compared to a healthy cut.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
For those wanting a cut over a win, why do you have a handicap at all? Seeing as the point is to enable you to compete in competitions.

I’d sooner have a cut than a win but don’t see it as a binary choice

Having a handicap means I can play in comps to measure myself against that handicap and try to improve, means I can play in club team matches, society comps, enter opens etc etc

We have about 160 odd in our comps every weekend, haven’t won one in 7 years I don’t think (won my division a few times) but gone down from 7 to 4

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Given that I've been a member of my club for coming up too 11 years and I haven't won a medal, I'd take a win on this occasion.

Normally, my handicap comes first.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Providing I thought my handicap was fair and representative of my play over recent years I would take the win. If the conditions had been very bad and I had handled them relative to my ability better than anyone else (and there are always people of similar ability playing at my club)it is in my book something to be proud of.

So is a handicap cut and I certainly want one. If I felt my handicap was artificially high because the rounds when I was submitting cards were not representative of my general play I would take the cut.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Although I was being a bit facetious in my first reply on this thread, I think it really does, in certain circumstances, come down to what the prize is.
If it's a nice piece of glass (sorry Steve) or a shield, or name on a board then I can see why a win would be sought after.
If we win a run of the mill comp we get a few quid stuck on the bar card.
This does not fill me with a great desire to go out and win the comp. In truth I don't think anyone can go out "to win" the comp. We're just not good enough
I'd rather try and play as well as I can and get a cut, partly because I've won many a trinket down the years but also that even if I play a blinder I still might not win.
Play your best and see what happens...

D

Deleted member 1147

I’d take the win if it was the Club Championship, otherwise I’d take handicap cut. Get enough of those and the prize money (shop credit) will mount up!

D

Deleted member 15344

Passive brag alert.

No at all answering your question - the handicap cut is more important to me than winning a Comp , and if I could put in Supplementary cards I would do which is answering your question

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I’ll take the win please; 2 reasons.

1. I think it’s more of an achievement to play (relatively) better than everyone else on the day regardless of the score (the prize doesn’t come into it)
2. Even in terrible conditions no comp at our place is being won with a score that wouldn’t get a really nice cut anyway.

D

Deleted member 25172

Came second in the club championship just last week, but got cut to 9.7. Would I rather have won and stayed on 12? No. To get below 10 has been my goal throughout the year so I’m well happy. Would I have liked to get win and the cut? Yes, but if only choosing 1 of the 2 I’m happier with this outcome.