• Win

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • Handicap Cut

Votes: 36 65.5%

• Total voters

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Taking pride in winning a handicap comp is a bit weird. So you played better than every one else? Not really. So you played better relative to your handicap than everybody else played relative to theirs? Yes.

Also, you can play your best ever golf, and lose, or play some bang average stuff, and win. It is a strange game. It's not like tennis or such, where you play the guy at the other end of the court, and can influence their game with yours.

Cut for me.
Why bother with keeping a handicap then?

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
A win without question - a win is an indication that on that day with your handicap you played the best golf (comparatively) out of everyone in the field. Plus, it's easier for others (non golfing colleagues!) to understand... "I won the comp at the weekend" vs "Played golf, wasn't in the prizes, but got a nice cut to my handicap"

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
For those wanting a cut over a win, why do you have a handicap at all? Seeing as the point is to enable you to compete in competitions.

That sleeve of balls and bottle of wine will be gone in couple of bad holes for the balls and 38 minutes for the wine, the Cut? now that might last a few months ;)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
For those wanting a cut over a win, why do you have a handicap at all? Seeing as the point is to enable you to compete in competitions.
Your handicap is an indication of where you are at. If you reach a point where you are proud of your h/c or you believe you can get no better then a win would take more meaning. Until that point, I am striving to improve my handicap as that is a better test of my golf than beating the other people around me. If I score 40 points, get a cut and come 3rd in a comp that means more than 32 points and winning. I'm playing against myself first off, the other people in the comp second.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Your handicap is an indication of where you are at. If you reach a point where you are proud of your h/c or you believe you can get no better then a win would take more meaning. Until that point, I am striving to improve my handicap as that is a better test of my golf than beating the other people around me. If I score 40 points, get a cut and come 3rd in a comp that means more than 32 points and winning. I'm playing against myself first off, the other people in the comp second.

But you don't need a handicap to measure your progress. You'd be better of spending the entry fee on a bucket of balls....

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
If I play in a comp my friends and family will ask if I won . No one has ever asked if I got a cut....

And after about 5 years of asking, will give up. 150 odd guys, minimum enter the comps at my place. It is ridiculously hard to win one, so the answer will be no, every time.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
If I play in a comp my friends and family will ask if I won . No one has ever asked if I got a cut....

My wife is the same.

My daughter will ask how many points I got. Less than 36 results in her rolling her eyes.

For me, everytime I play I hope to get cut. If I get down to scratch comps (I won't) then I would rather the win.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

I dunno, if I texted my wife that I scored 40pts I'm pretty sure she'd reply asking if that meant I'd get a cut before she'd ask if I won (but then she knows how much I want to get cut)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
But you don't need a handicap to measure your progress. You'd be better of spending the entry fee on a bucket of balls....
A bucket of balls doesn't tell you anything. I'm a single figure golfer at the range :ROFLMAO:. Your handicap tells you exactly where you are at. If you play often enough it doesn't lie.

I'm amazed family and work colleagues ask about people's golf results. No one at my work cares about golf, they would glaze over if I ever started to talk about a weekend comp. Even family are disinterested. My wife wants a simple, 'I played okay' and me to smile. She really doesn't care any more than that so that is all I ever say. The rest never ask, ever.

D

Deleted member 21258

My wife is the same.

My daughter will ask how many points I got. Less than 36 results in her rolling her eyes.

For me, everytime I play I hope to get cut. If I get down to scratch comps (I won't) then I would rather the win.

That's funny.

aka You failure, you have let me down again Dad :LOL::LOL:

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
A bucket of balls doesn't tell you anything. I'm a single figure golfer at the range :ROFLMAO:. Your handicap tells you exactly where you are at. If you play often enough it doesn't lie.

I'm amazed family and work colleagues ask about people's golf results. No one at my work cares about golf, they would glaze over if I ever started to talk about a weekend comp. Even family are disinterested. My wife wants a simple, 'I played okay' and me to smile. She really doesn't care any more than that so that is all I ever say. The rest never ask, ever.
Not really, maybe under uhs it will, but the current system moves to slowly to be a real barometer of your game.