• No

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Captain's pick

Votes: 13 25.0%

• Total voters

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
He's now up to 7th on the World list and 9th on the European one - do you think he'll be teeing it up in an 11th Ryder Cup at Whistling Straits?

Harrington has three picks, with four coming from the European list and five from the world one.

We'll use this online so if you can show your workings that would be great, ta

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
He's playing so well that he's got a great chance of qualifying
And if he doesn't it's going to be very hard to not pick him..

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
When's the cut off for qualifying? Given current standings presumably it's going to take some doing to knock him out of an automatic spot? Even if that happens, I reckon he's a good bet for a Captain's pick

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I went no, not because I don't think he will qualify but that the interviews I've seen him give on this suggest he doesn't want to play in it this time, his time is done. Perhaps those comments were a defence mechanism at the time he said them, maybe he would love another go at it? If his heart isn't in it any more then perhaps he will ask Harrington to leave him out as a player, have him as a VC? He certainly doesn't need to prove anything as a player in the RC any more.

In terms of actual qualification I think he will comfortably make it and will be there if he wants to be..

D

Deleted member 15344

Right now he is a guarentee into the team via qualifying

But who knows in 4 months time

D

Deleted member 3432

I seem to remember plenty on here were hoping that was the last of him after his last appearence. Past it was the concensus.......

D

Deleted member 15344

Right now he is playing as well as any other European- players alike Bjorn and Lawrie have had later in their career Ryder Cup swansongs so maybe this is Westwood being back again ?‍♂️

Visit site
I went no, not because I don't think he will qualify but that the interviews I've seen him give on this suggest he doesn't want to play in it this time, his time is done. Perhaps those comments were a defence mechanism at the time he said them, maybe he would love another go at it? If his heart isn't in it any more then perhaps he will ask Harrington to leave him out as a player, have him as a VC? He certainly doesn't need to prove anything as a player in the RC any more.

In terms of actual qualification I think he will comfortably make it and will be there if he wants to be..
I tend to agree - i think it depends how well he does at the end of the Summer - if he is 'losing' something he may say no - but I imagine that will be all between him and Harrington

At the end of the day - he may well be the next RC captain so he may be cautious

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
He's now up to 7th on the World list and 9th on the European one - do you think he'll be teeing it up in an 11th Ryder Cup at Whistling Straits?

Harrington has three picks, with four coming from the European list and five from the world one.

We'll use this online so if you can show your workings that would be great, ta

Not if he chokes like he did yesterday, missed so many opportunities short approach shots missed puts, needs a proper caddy on the bag too in my opinion

D

Deleted member 15344

Not if he chokes like he did yesterday, missed so many opportunities short approach shots missed puts, needs a proper caddy on the bag too in my opinion

Come on - why does it have to be a choke ?
it was tough conditions yesterday and he took BDC all the way down to the final green

As for his caddy - he got back to European No1 and back into the 50 in the world doing it all by himself

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
As for his caddy - he got back to European No1 and back into the 50 in the world doing it all by himself

I quite like the idea of caddy being simply a bag carrier...
In fact they should have to hire local ones and give them a percentage of their winni....oh, hang on...that doesn't always work:unsure:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I thought he looked as lean as he has done for a good few years. Am not sure he choked yesterday, it was typical knock a few in and miss a few.I think it’s to early to say yay or nay. If he qualifys he is good enough. So no reason why not. Re the Arnold Palmer course, I was chuffed to see a half decent proper rough for a change.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
If he qualifies, it's up to him, and if he wants to play, fine and dandy. If he doesn't qualify, no, I would not pick him. He is getting on, and the team needs to blood the next gen ready for Rome. Away games are a bit of a loser, and I think it would be well to pick an up and coming. May be it depends who else qualifies, or who else needs a pick.
Either way, it's a tough one on Padraig, as he will want the best chance, with the best team.

D

Deleted member 25172

McIlroy in the Masters 2012 and Doug Sanders on the 18th in The Open 1970 are examples of chokes. Not shooting +1 on the final day when there's only 7 players having a better score, with the best score being -1.

Last edited by a moderator:

Swinglowandslow

Visit site

Exactly this.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site

This caddy question is strange. Are these players so limited in that they have to have a caddy telling them which club to hit, as I see suggested from time to time. I think that is a myth , built on the situation in the olden days when a
Golf Club local, who knew the course well, would suggest to his relatively new( to the course) player which was the best club.
Any modern pro,having practiced on well known venues, should know which club to use.The caddy can tell him how far to the green, and features etc, obviously, but beyond that....
As Trevino said.. a caddy can tell me how far it is, but never to tell me what club to use., or words to that effect.
As moral support etc, yes. But not giving instruction, surely not?
And, also, as a personal rule change I would make - caddies not allowed on the green to advise re putting.
Comments???