WHS Venues Away From Home Club

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
This will not happen at our club. We have nobody working permanently at club (no pro or club sec for example), most of the time there may be some short term bar staff who know little or nothing about golf. And there is very little chance of getting the owner of the club to set up a system where his staff will be able to formally register away players for a General Round. At best, they will turn up and ask to register, and the response they will get will be "I don't know what you mean" or "that's fine, do what you like".

So, basically they will have no record of pre-registration, and can simply return their card to their home club. To be honest, I think that is what is happening at a lot of clubs. I've had 2 members who happened to tell me they were playing at another course, and they would hand in their card. Due to lockdown, I've not had a chance to pick up any cards, but there has certainly been no formal registration of this round by the club that they played at as far as I can tell.
Perhaps the answer would be for your policy to include informing your home club as well as the away club when registering for a casual round.

That is an idea we are seriously contemplating along with a number of other clubs. We might be lucky down here as we started two monthly zoom meetings in the county to kick around ideas and help with WHS matters.

Swango1980

Visit site
Perhaps the answer would be for your policy to include informing your home club as well as the away club when registering for a casual round.

That is an idea we are seriously contemplating along with a number of other clubs. We might be lucky down here as we started two monthly zoom meetings in the county to kick around ideas and help with WHS matters.
Perhaps. Although maybe less useful for away players coming to play our course, as their 1st and only attempt at pre-registration is when they arrive at our course to play.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
An update on the app - due out shortly.

The player will have to be close to or at the club where is going to play (the app uses his phone location). He will register his intent to play in the app. He will score hole by hole gross.
His marker will have to provide his CDH ID to the app. On completion he will close his card on the app. There will be some sort of 'time control' referencing his entry and score return time. His own h'cap sec will have access to the score but I'm not sure if the sec will verify the update to WHS.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
True, but our club have no control over the policy at other clubs. So, an away player may not realise he should pre-register with his home club before he turns up at ours
My point is that if it is the players club policy then they should know. I send out updates and information and policies are on the NB. I appreciate that you will have those that ignore what goes out but they then have no grounds for complaint when you dont accept a casual round. No real difference from what should have been happening at clubs for years.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
True, but our club have no control over the policy at other clubs. So, an away player may not realise he should pre-register with his home club before he turns up at ours
Why do you say a player must register with his home club before registering/playing at an away club? I have seen no such requirement.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site

The player will have to be close to or at the club where is going to play (the app uses his phone location). He will register his intent to play in the app. He will score hole by hole gross.
His marker will have to provide his CDH ID to the app. On completion he will close his card on the app. There will be some sort of 'time control' referencing his entry and score return time. His own h'cap sec will have access to the score but I'm not sure if the sec will verify the update to WHS.

So someone could go out and play 18 holes at an away course, inputting his score on the app as he goes. He could then stick his mates cdh id down as "the marker" and his handicap would be adjusted accordingly?

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
So someone could go out and play 18 holes at an away course, inputting his score on the app as he goes. He could then stick his mates cdh id down as "the marker" and his handicap would be adjusted accordingly?
What could possibly go wrong?

The massive inbuilt assumption here is that both the technology and the people using it will be upto the task. If the experience thus far with on-line score entry is concerned this is a very questionable assumption.

D

Deleted member 25172

If the technology is there so the player needs to be within a certain perimeter from the course, wouldn't it be possible that the markers app need to be connected in the same area as well? Perhaps that isn't doable? I'm a tech-illiterate, so it really is a genuine question.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Are they going to rely totally on the app?

I would have thought that using a PSI terminal in the relevant clubhouse was potentially more straightforward and practical.

Swango1980

Visit site
Are they going to rely totally on the app?

I would have thought that using a PSI terminal in the relevant clubhouse was potentially more straightforward and practical.
Totally agree. Available to everyone, and stops people having to mess about on their phone (if they have one).

I don't mind if there are robust mobile phone options, but it would be disappointing if some issues became totally reliant on a mobile phone. When I play golf, it is nice to get away from the regular distractions of phone. So, I generally don't even want to look at it as soon as I get to club, just focus on the golf and hopefully a bit of banter with the people I'm playing with.