WHS Venues Away From Home Club

123*

Hacker
Visit site
Hi all,

I am a member at a difficult course but it is a considerable distance away from my home.

I will often play other ‘easier’ courses that are local to me as my friends are members there. Can I submit a general play score at a course away from my home one?

I believe Open comps are automatically added? Just not sure about casual games?

Thanks.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think this is what the system was made for.
I am no expert but would say yes.
But your handicap will be lower on an “easier” course .
The table to set your handicap at the course you play should be by the tee or clubhouse.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So related to this, when you play away, who are you supposed to inform of your intention to put in a card, as you are supposed to pre register?

At your home course this is easy, most can just pop into the shop and tell the pro or front desk, and then enter the score on return of confirm the score was entered via app etc.. but at an away course noone would really care or police this.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
So related to this, when you play away, who are you supposed to inform of your intention to put in a card, as you are supposed to pre register?

At your home course this is easy, most can just pop into the shop and tell the pro or front desk, and then enter the score on return of confirm the score was entered via app etc.. but at an away course noone would really care or police this.
You must register your intent to return a score at the Away club before you play.
You may be able to register your score there depending on their software and availability of someone to record it. Otherwise you will have to return your (signed) card to your handicap sec for them to match the score with the entry via the WHS platform. As I understand it, it won't be processed by your Home club's system.

EG will be introducing an app soon where it can all be done on your phone. The constraints are that you must be on or very close to the Away club when you register and your marker must have a live CDH ID when you complete your round and return your score.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You must register your intent to return a score at the Away club before you play.
You may be able to register your score there depending on their software and availability of someone to record it. Otherwise you will have to return your (signed) card to your handicap sec for them to match the score with the entry via the WHS platform. As I understand it, it won't be processed by your Home club's system.

EG will be introducing an app soon where it can all be done on your phone. The constraints are that you must be on or very close to the Away club when you register and your marker must have a live CDH ID when you complete your round and return your score.

So when the app comes, that makes it easy. As it stands now, how do we register and who with? It seems ambiguous, in that the rule itself is clear that you must register, but how you go about doing that is not.

Seems very open to abuse, even when the app comes.

D

Deleted member 3432

Hi all,

I am a member at a difficult course but it is a considerable distance away from my home.

I will often play other ‘easier’ courses that are local to me as my friends are members there. Can I submit a general play score at a course away from my home one?

I believe Open comps are automatically added? Just not sure about casual games?

Thanks.

Its only difficult when its windy....

Oh, thats every day then :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
So when the app comes, that makes it easy. As it stands now, how do we register and who with? It seems ambiguous, in that the rule itself is clear that you must register, but how you go about doing that is not.

Seems very open to abuse, even when the app comes.
You must register with whoever the Away club has appointed to handle general play registrations. This will presumably the same person (eg club sec or pro) who deals with internal members' registration. As each club will have their own procedure it would be as well to check before you go. That club will cause the registration to be passed up to the WHS platform ready for the score to be processed after the round, either by an authorised person at the Away or Home club.

How do you see either being abused?

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You must register with whoever the Away club has appointed to handle general play registrations. This will presumably the same person (eg club sec or pro) who deals with internal members' registration. As each club will have their own procedure it would be as well to check before you go. That club will cause the registration to be passed up to the WHS platform ready for the score to be processed after the round, either by an authorised person at the Away or Home club.

With the app, you can go anywhere with a mate, register and enter what score you like. I realise this is true for any round, but at your home club in comps, people are generally known and you play with a lot of different people, so collusion becomes harder. Whereas being relatively anonymous at new courses, a graoup could easily collude. Even more so when nomads can have handicaps too.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
With the app, you can go anywhere with a mate, register and enter what score you like. I realise this is true for any round, but at your home club in comps, people are generally known and you play with a lot of different people, so collusion becomes harder. Whereas being relatively anonymous at new courses, a graoup could easily collude. Even more so when nomads can have handicaps too.

This will all depend on how your club writes its procedures for casual cards. Our procedures are likely to state that as well as registering your intention to play a casual round at the away club you will also be required to email/inform the home club prior to play.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This will all depend on how your club writes its procedures for casual cards. Our procedures are likely to state that as well as registering your intention to play a casual round at the away club you will also be required to email/inform the home club prior to play.

Maybe I'm being harsh, it just feels like a worst of both worlds situation.

If you want rigorous procedure stick to the old way of comp rounds only, and if you want more cards, but at the risk of abuse go the US way where you can just enter rounds as and when. Instead we have a kind of halfway house.

Given that the future plans are to allow nomads to have handicaps, how would your clubs procedure handle that when it comes, there is no one to email.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site

If you want rigorous procedure stick to the old way of comp rounds only, and if you want more cards, but at the risk of abuse go the US way where you can just enter rounds as and when. Instead we have a kind of halfway house.

Given that the future plans are to allow nomads to have handicaps, how would your clubs procedure handle that when it comes, there is no one to email.

We can only do what is required of us at club level, how EG will monitor and look after nomads is out of the control of clubs but we can write competition procedure on how we can manage nomads.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I find this interesting as I do not know what the procedure will be at our club.

Late last year we did away with registering by signing in a book and went to either the IG app or using the PSI screen.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

How did Supplementary Scores fit in to this scenario?
Why do you say the US can return scores 'as and when'? They operate under the same WHS rules now.

Essentially, virtually all nomad scores could be 'non-competition'. No procedure has even been defined yet. Why speculate on something we don't have any idea about?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I find this interesting as I do not know what the procedure will be at our club.

Late last year we did away with registering by signing in a book and went to either the IG app or using the PSI screen.

Presumably 'signing in a book' was done before play and was therefore 'registering'.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
How did Supplementary Scores fit in to this scenario?
Why do you say the US can return scores 'as and when'? They operate under the same WHS rules now.

Essentially, virtually all nomad scores could be 'non-competition'. No procedure has even been defined yet. Why speculate on something we don't have any idea about?

In the US there is no requirement to inform anyone prior to playing a round that you will submit it. You just submit your score after the round. The idea of pre-registering your intent to submit is purely a GB&I thing, presumably thought up by the home unions.

It is speculation, but not a big stretch to question who nomads will register with that they are playing a round that they will submit for score.

My "gripe" if you can call it that, as it doesn't keep me awake at night or anything, is that we are halfway in between our old system and the procedures of US implementation of the WHS - I know technically it's the same system but it is definitely administered differently (no pre-registraion as stated above). IMHO it's better to either just have a free for all like in the US where there is no mandate for announcing up front, just submitting scores every round, even incomplete ones, or stick to the old system where only comp scores count, as there is already a standard registration system in place by means of entering.

I'm open to be corrected on the need to register intent prior to the round in the US, but as far as I can see it's not in the USGA rules. USGA Handicapping Rules

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
In the US there is no requirement to inform anyone prior to playing a round that you will submit it. You just submit your score after the round. The idea of pre-registering your intent to submit is purely a GB&I thing, presumably thought up by the home unions.

It is speculation, but not a big stretch to question who nomads will register with that they are playing a round that they will submit for score.

My "gripe" if you can call it that, as it doesn't keep me awake at night or anything, is that we are halfway in between our old system and the procedures of US implementation of the WHS - I know technically it's the same system but it is definitely administered differently (no pre-registraion as stated above). IMHO it's better to either just have a free for all like in the US where there is no mandate for announcing up front, just submitting scores every round, even incomplete ones, or stick to the old system where only comp scores count, as there is already a standard registration system in place by means of entering.

I'm open to be corrected on the need to register intent prior to the round in the US, but as far as I can see it's not in the USGA rules. USGA Handicapping Rules
You are correct. There is no mandate in the US version but there is the provision for 'peer review' which may or may not be very rigorous. But I doubt that EG will permit nomads similar leeway.

But when you say 'stick to the old system where only comp scores count', that isn't correct, supplementaries have been in the system for a good few years.
I don't think the US approach is going to have much effect on anyone outside the US as all the big players had more formal procedures previously.

Swango1980

Visit site

This will not happen at our club. We have nobody working permanently at club (no pro or club sec for example), most of the time there may be some short term bar staff who know little or nothing about golf. And there is very little chance of getting the owner of the club to set up a system where his staff will be able to formally register away players for a General Round. At best, they will turn up and ask to register, and the response they will get will be "I don't know what you mean" or "that's fine, do what you like".

So, basically they will have no record of pre-registration, and can simply return their card to their home club. To be honest, I think that is what is happening at a lot of clubs. I've had 2 members who happened to tell me they were playing at another course, and they would hand in their card. Due to lockdown, I've not had a chance to pick up any cards, but there has certainly been no formal registration of this round by the club that they played at as far as I can tell.