WHS & ISV Issues (Please post only if you are a handicap secretary or involved in admin at your club)

KopiteKing13

Visit site
Hi all, I'm the Handicap Secretary and Club Captain(!) at my (very small) club and I've come across a weird situation with my own handicap this morning that I can't explain.

A bit of background/context: I played in our Club's monthly medal comp yesterday and shot the round of my life. The course is rated easier than most. Par 68, CR 64.4, Slope 106. I started the day as a 13.5 handicap, which gave me a Course Handicap of 12 and I was playing off 11 with the 95% adjustment. I shot 71, so 3 over par (literally, the best round of my life by 4 strokes), which, due to the relatively easy rating of the course, gave me a Score Differential of 7.0 before any PCC adjustments.

After the round, I put all of the participants' scores into the ClubV1 portal and all seemed good. I then went into MyEG and calculated what my handicap would be after the overnight update. In my head, I thought I'd go from a 13.5 to a 12.8 (12.76 to be exact) unless there were any PCC adjustments. I thought of myself as having a pretty good grasp of the maths behind it all.

I woke up this morning and saw I had an email from HowDidIDo telling me my handicap has gone down to 11.6. Weird, I thought, but I figured I maybe miscalculated yesterday. I did lose a previous scoring round yesterday as it became my 21st most-recent round, but I had definitely accounted for that when I did my calculations at the clubhouse yesterday. But when I logged into MyEG, I noticed that ALL of my score differentials have gone down by 1. Yesterday's round went from a 7.0 to a 5.0 (PCC adjustment of 1, plus another 1 taken off for reasons I haven't yet worked out). Prior to yesterday, my best ever Score Differential was 11.3, set back in July. It's now down to 10.3. My highest green Score Differential was 15.6, it's now down to 14.6.

I can't for the life of me work out why all of my previous score differentials have been decreased by 1. As Handicap Secretary at my club, I'd like to know just so I can explain it to others in case it happens to any of them as well. I checked my best mate's scores and his Score Diffs have all stayed the same as they always were, so it might just be me.

Anyone have any thoughts? Like I said, I thought I had a really good grasp on it all but this has thrown me. There must be something that I'm missing and unaware of, unless it's just a weird bug in the software.Thanks very much.

D-S

Visit site
It is an exceptional score, it reduces your HI by 1.0 - it does this by reducing the last 20 score differentials.

"A score differential which is at least 7.0 strokes or more better than the player’s Handicap Index® at the time the round was played.

Score can be from any format of play, competitive or general play and this is not restricted to competition scores.

When a player submits an exceptional score, the handicap formula applies an additional adjustment to the player’s updated Handicap Index®.

This adjustment is in addition to any reduction caused within the 8/20 calculation.

The Handicap Committee can override the adjustment if they deem necessary."

KopiteKing13

Visit site
It is an exceptional score, it reduces your HI by 1.0 - it does this by reducing the last 20 score differentials.

"A score differential which is at least 7.0 strokes or more better than the player’s Handicap Index® at the time the round was played.

Score can be from any format of play, competitive or general play and this is not restricted to competition scores.

When a player submits an exceptional score, the handicap formula applies an additional adjustment to the player’s updated Handicap Index®.

This adjustment is in addition to any reduction caused within the 8/20 calculation.

The Handicap Committee can override the adjustment if they deem necessary."
Ahhhh of course! Thank you! I've heard about those, but to my knowledge, it has never come up at our club during my time as Handicap Secretary, so I'd completely forgotten about it.

Swango1980

Visit site
Ahhhh of course! Thank you! I've heard about those, but to my knowledge, it has never come up at our club during my time as Handicap Secretary, so I'd completely forgotten about it.
I'm not sure what the biggest shock is. That you scored such a great round in December (that is a finger up to those that say winter golf is tough), or that you were even able to play golf on a qualifying course (if you are in the UK). On Saturday our course was frozen solid and on 18 temps, and Sunday it was under a foot of snow (based in Lincolnshire).

We've not been able to have a qualifying course since for well over a month.

KopiteKing13

Visit site
I'm not sure what the biggest shock is. That you scored such a great round in December (that is a finger up to those that say winter golf is tough), or that you were even able to play golf on a qualifying course (if you are in the UK). On Saturday our course was frozen solid and on 18 temps, and Sunday it was under a foot of snow (based in Lincolnshire).

We've not been able to have a qualifying course since for well over a month.
Haha, trust me, I was as surprised as anyone at my round yesterday. It was genuinely the first round in my entire life where every element of my game was on top form. For some reason, winter golf is just clicking for me this year. I'm making a conscious effort not to repeat my same mistakes from previous winters. Now I'm playing to the back yardages on every approach shot and clubbing up appropriately.

As for the weather, I live in London but play at a cheap little track in Bucks. It's not fancy at all but it's a great little course in very good condition. Fortunately, we've not had such bad weather yet this year. Just a lot of rain a couple of weeks ago, which has forced the course to be shut a few days already over the past month or so. But once the standing water clears and it dries out a bit, it's been absolutely fine to play on. It's been quite mild too compared to the rest of the country so we haven't had any bad frosts either. We're still not even on winter tees or greens yet, although I think we will be very shortly. The ground was relatively firm yesterday, we've just been really lucky with our weather.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Seniors comp yesterday with 37 players was done and dusted by 3 pm and results posted to masterscoreboard. Checked WHS platform a few times later in the day for a look at predicted HI changes but, unusually, scores from the comp were not showing.

Checked again this morning and records were not updated overnight with yesterday's scores. Has anyone else had updating issues?

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Seniors comp yesterday with 37 players was done and dusted by 3 pm and results posted to masterscoreboard. Checked WHS platform a few times later in the day for a look at predicted HI changes but, unusually, scores from the comp were not showing.

Checked again this morning and records were not updated overnight with yesterday's scores. Has anyone else had updating issues?
Check that you had it set as a qualifying comp

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Check that you had it set as a qualifying comp

I confess. As soon as I had posted, a light switch went on. It was a competition using a new template for the first time. When I called up the template, I saw that I had not ticked the tick box to make it a qualifier. All sorted now and a bit embarrassed.

wjemather

Visit site
We're in the process of migrating to IG, which beings many improvements that will save time - not least of which is not having to recreate entire comps just because one setting needs changing.
Anyhow, I'm still finding my way round, but there seem to be a few omissions on the comps side of things that could be frustrating, including:
  • "Maximum Score" (IG suggested we manually adjust scores)
  • Filtered competition results or a single player overlay (when running a comp within a comp, i.e. to create a separate leaderboard for specified players, e.g. juniors, colts, seniors, women, etc.)
Does anyone know any workarounds for these? TIA

IanMcC

Visit site
Question for the WHS Platform gurus.
Our course is unsuitable for qualifiers at the moment, but we accidentally left yesterday's Friday Comp as Acceptable.

There were only a couple of dozen entries, so it was not a big job deleting them on Wales Golf.

We did have the courses turned off on the Wales Golf Platform, however. See attached screenshot. I would have thought turning off the courses in this way would have prevented the WHS Platform from accepting scores from Club Systems. What am I missing?

Attachments

• Markers off.JPG
    Markers off.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 6

wjemather

Visit site
Question for the WHS Platform gurus.
Our course is unsuitable for qualifiers at the moment, but we accidentally left yesterday's Friday Comp as Acceptable.

There were only a couple of dozen entries, so it was not a big job deleting them on Wales Golf.

We did have the courses turned off on the Wales Golf Platform, however. See attached screenshot. I would have thought turning off the courses in this way would have prevented the WHS Platform from accepting scores from Club Systems. What am I missing?
Turning courses off on the WHS Platform only prevents General Play pre-registration and submission via the Wales Golf app. It doesn't affect scores submitted via the ISV; to do that, the corresponding changes need to be made there.

The only way of preventing competition scores from being submitted in to ensure the comp is set as not acceptable for handicapping/non-qualifying. For General Play, in ClubV1, you can either hide the courses or turn off General Play pre-registration and submission in both the PSI and HowDidiDo settings.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I posted this on the "2024 changes" thread but I now realise that this would have been a better place to post it.

Our ladies had our first 4BBB comp yesterday under the new regime.

In the early evening, I received an email from Handicapmaster with the ominous subject heading "Odd handicap adjustment after FBBB score submitted to WHS".

While pointing out that the 4BBB submission and any subsequent handicap action is outside the ISV's area of responsibility, they have asked me to review the handicap adjustment made to the handicap of one lady.

They further suggest that I might raise the issue with WHS if I don't like what I find. I will be retrieving the scorecard tomorrow to review the process.

Has anyone else run a 4BBB since the change?

D-S

Visit site
No but a Foursomes comp via IG was a total disaster, also non 18 hole GP rounds are appearing as (*) or 0 on the WHS portal. We hope it all settles down in a few days.

wjemather

Visit site
I posted this on the "2024 changes" thread but I now realise that this would have been a better place to post it.

Our ladies had our first 4BBB comp yesterday under the new regime.

In the early evening, I received an email from Handicapmaster with the ominous subject heading "Odd handicap adjustment after FBBB score submitted to WHS".

While pointing out that the 4BBB submission and any subsequent handicap action is outside the ISV's area of responsibility, they have asked me to review the handicap adjustment made to the handicap of one lady.

They further suggest that I might raise the issue with WHS if I don't like what I find. I will be retrieving the scorecard tomorrow to review the process.

Has anyone else run a 4BBB since the change?
I did a simple test submitting one pair of scores through IG and the players appeared to be reversed on WHS, resulting in the counting hole flags being incorrect and the exceptional score counting against the wrong player.

wjemather

Visit site
No but a Foursomes comp via IG was a total disaster, also non 18 hole GP rounds are appearing as (*) or 0 on the WHS portal. We hope it all settles down in a few days.
I know dotgolf are working on an issue with expected scores that is affecting 9 hole scores, unplayed holes, or at least how they are displaying the adjusted gross.

Swango1980

Visit site
I did a simple test submitting one pair of scores through IG and the players appeared to be reversed on WHS, resulting in the counting hole flags being incorrect and the exceptional score counting against the wrong player.
It's a pity software developers didn't do similar simple tests in the months before it going live.

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We held a ladies competition yesterday, with 2 holes excluded due to maintenance. The scores went through to the database, and all totals were replaced by an asterisk. However, the score differentials are showing as 0.0, and handicap indices have not been updated a day later. Hopefully this can be sorted asap.