WHS & ISV Issues (Please post only if you are a handicap secretary or involved in admin at your club)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Got it - thanks.

Having run a test you can enter a team in a 3 person scramble on V1 and it comes up with a team handicap. No idea of the basis for this.

It should be
For a 3-player team CONGU recommends 30%/20%/10%.

If you want check it

As per Old Skier Page 43 1st sub section 1st para

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is any body adjusting individual player's score yet?

If yes what basis are you using?

If you have somebody who has now moved in to the 'elite' bracket and should not be there did you ask/notify county?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site

If you have somebody who has now moved in to the 'elite' bracket and should not be there did you ask/notify county?

Did you mean adjusting players indexes?

We are about to adjust a load of players who were given WHS indexes the same as their Congu handicaps. This effectively means that under the WHS and taking into account the 95% handicap allowance they would get more shots than they previous would under Congu. There are about 40 players and they all are players who have never entered a score since 2018. Allocated indexes range from 12 to 30 with the majority being between 12 and 22 and the rest being 26 and upwards. We are not doing anything hugely scientific but are going to reduce these players indexes by one shot for the 12-22 indexes and 1.5 shots for the 26 to 30 indexes.

You might argue, if they've not submitted a score in nearly 3 years why bother but, if this WHS is supposed to encourage players to go out and play golf and submit scores for handicap then we might as well just be a touch prudent and make an adjustment just in case they suddenly decide that competition golf is for them!!! Once we've got these ones out of the way as they are the easy ones then we will start reviewing the allocations to players who have scoring records with only a few scores in them...especially those which may be skewed by having one exceptional score in them. That will take a bit longer and a bit mpre involved analysis to determine what is a fair adjustment...but we've got plenty of time given that we are locked down!!!

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Looks like the WHS support email is 7-days behind judging from the fact that I've just had a response to a couple of suggestions I made back on the 2nd!!!!

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

I had to adjust a couple before a competition the day before lockdown. They were both people who had recent ESRs and thus their HI were too high for their current ability.

I used the EG Platform to make the adjustment which subtracted 1 or 2 from the gross differential of each round in their playing record.

Thus basis is to implement the reduction that would have happened via ESR.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Looks like the WHS support email is 7-days behind judging from the fact that I've just had a response to a couple of suggestions I made back on the 2nd!!!!

Must have got back to work, email now forwarded to tech support

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I have forwarded your email to the Technical Team for further investigation. They are experiencing exceptionally high email traffic at the moment, and therefore it may take some time for this to be actioned.

We kindly ask for your patience with this.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

Yes. One where the transition had not recognised a General Play adjustment made earlier in the year an one where due to a permanent change in health a general play adjustment was in the pending tray.
I may have reported it before but it seems that all changes must be in whole numbers and are limited to 5 at one time. We wanted to do 6 so did 5 & 1 in two steps. It now only shows as a single 6 on the WHS platform.

IanMcC

Visit site

I must admit, I am a bit reluctant to do this. All of our members were given ample warning, by me and others throughout the Summer, that only having a handful of cards submitted would lead to a skewed Handicap Index after changeover. A lot of people put Supplementary cards in, but many did not. The ones whinging now are the ones who did not. I have 3 players in particular, all with only 3 cards submitted, who have Indexes way lower than they should have. To me, they only have themselves to blame.

What I have told them is that they can put in cards during the winter if they only have 6" preferred lies on fairway height grass only. (All of our comps in the winter are preferred lies anywhere.)
I know this goes against the 'active season' part of Rule 2.1, but its the best concession I can come up with. I don't think they should have a free lunch so to speak and have their HI adjusted because of their laziness in the summer season.

Swango1980

Visit site
I have only re-entered new members first 3 scores for handicap. Took a while, because not only where there over 50 of them, I had to go and find all the bloomin cards. A bit time consuming, especially due to Covid

Swango1980

Visit site
This might have been mentioned. But, I set up howdidido to permit Casual Scores. I tested what it looks like to pre-register. It asks is it qualifying or non-qualifying. Not only are these terms redundant, even if they were not, I have no idea why anyone would select non-qualifying, as the very purpose of it is to submit score for handicap. Also, if non-qualifying was selected, anyone know what would happen? I'm not sure Club V1 are sending scores daily to WHS yet, so perhaps it is impossible to know just yet

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I must admit, I am a bit reluctant to do this. All of our members were given ample warning, by me and others throughout the Summer, that only having a handful of cards submitted would lead to a skewed Handicap Index after changeover. A lot of people put Supplementary cards in, but many did not. The ones whinging now are the ones who did not. I have 3 players in particular, all with only 3 cards submitted, who have Indexes way lower than they should have. To me, they only have themselves to blame.

What I have told them is that they can put in cards during the winter if they only have 6" preferred lies on fairway height grass only. (All of our comps in the winter are preferred lies anywhere.)
I know this goes against the 'active season' part of Rule 2.1, but its the best concession I can come up with. I don't think they should have a free lunch so to speak and have their HI adjusted because of their laziness in the summer season.

My reason for asking is simply that I have spotted one player whose H.I. Is totally wrong. So I suspect there might be others.

Agree with you about a lot of others. We had been stressing the need for SSs ever since we came out of the first lockdown and we substantially increased the number of comps available to play in to 5 a week.

We have no active/inactive season but often have non qualifiers due to more than 2 temp greens.