WHS Handicap Index - Finally Revealed

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's the net bit of net double bogey I'm not getting my head around yet. Your gross score on any hole can only be a whole number and a net double bogey on any given hole also has to be a whole number as it's a comparison to the Par of the hole which is also a whole number, so I don't understand how the adjustment can be made on the single hole you don't get a full shot if the Course Handicap is a decimal.

Lots of courses have decimal course ratings, 72.1 or whatever, so that fractionation is already baked into the system. No mathematical reason those ratings can work and decimal handicaps can't. I assume that for score card purposes, the score will have to be in whole indivisible shots or points, so no net 3.3 on that hole or 0.7 points, but WHS calculations can be more precise.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Lots of courses have decimal course ratings, 72.1 or whatever, so that fractionation is already baked into the system. No mathematical reason those ratings can work and decimal handicaps can't. I assume that for score card purposes, the score will have to be in whole indivisible shots or points, so no net 3.3 on that hole or 0.7 points, but WHS calculations can be more precise.

I'm fine with fractional course ratings and fractional handicaps, what I'm not fine with is fractional net double bogeys on individual holes as a net double bogey can't be fractional. So in my example, if the fictional player off 11.7 scores a 9 on the hole with SI 12 (Par 4), the question is how what is his adjusted gross score on that hole to give a net double bogey? Will the calculation give a fractional answer for that individual hole?

Will be interesting to find out once we're up and running up here in sunny Scotland.

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm fine with fractional course ratings and fractional handicaps, what I'm not fine with is fractional net double bogeys on individual holes as a net double bogey can't be fractional. So in my example, if the fictional player off 11.7 scores a 9 on the hole with SI 12 (Par 4), the question is how what is his adjusted gross score on that hole to give a net double bogey? Will the calculation give a fractional answer for that individual hole?

Will be interesting to find out once we're up and running up here in sunny Scotland.
Surely - surely - course handicap will be 12 for the purpose of adjusting scores? Anything else would be bonkers and I haven’t seen anything anywhere that suggests fractional “strokes” will be used.
Playing handicap = 11.7x0.95
Course handicap = 13

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Surely - surely - course handicap will be 12? Anything else would be bonkers and I haven’t seen anything anywhere that suggests fractional “strokes” will be used.
Playing handicap = 11.7x0.95
Course handicap = 13

Course handicap is not rounded to a whole number in Scotland, that's why I've been asking the question...

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Course handicap is not rounded to a whole number in Scotland, that's why I've been asking the question...
Aye, not rounded to a whole number for calculating playing handicap but thereafter it must have to be rounded, otherwise, as you’ve pointed out, madness lies ahead.
If you’re playing an individual matchplay your course handicap won’t be 11.7, it’ll be 12.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
It is only not rounded when calculating the Playing Handicap when a Handicap Adjustment is to be applied.
It is rounded for all other purposes

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Aye, not rounded to a whole number for calculating playing handicap but thereafter it must have to be rounded, otherwise, as you’ve pointed out, madness lies ahead.
If you’re playing an individual matchplay your course handicap won’t be 11.7, it’ll be 12.

You play using your PLAYING handicap which IS rounded to a whole number, but course handicap is used for processing your score for your handicap record and it is NOT rounded, so to get net double bogeys for gross adjusted scores purposes, fractional adjusted scores will be needed for individual holes.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
It is only not rounded when calculating the Playing Handicap when a Handicap Adjustment is to be applied.

So you have 2 course handicaps in Scotland, one not rounded to be used to work out your playing handicap then you subsequently round it afterwards? That really is stupid...

Which one goes on your scorecard?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
That really is stupid...

Which one goes on your scorecard?
That why England, Ireland and Wales use the rounded figure before calculating the playing handicap.

The rounded value.

The rounded value is by 'definition' the CH. The unrounded value is only an element of the PH calculation. It has no life of its own.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think the RoW are 'unrounding'.
EG et al thought that players without an app or PC would have trouble calculating the unrounded CH (the boards show the rounded CH) and then taking 95% of that.

Last edited:

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks, that’s really clear and helpful.
Scottish Golf seem to be putting a lot of store in their app and the associated IT system to be used by all clubs, I wonder if they’re expecting everyone, from golfers to handicap secretaries to committees to rely on technology to take care of everything. Risky if so.
edit: meant to quote your subsequent post but this one was also really helpful.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks, that’s really clear and helpful.
Scottish Golf seem to be putting a lot of store in their app and the associated IT system to be used by all clubs, I wonder if they’re expecting everyone, from golfers to handicap secretaries to committees to rely on technology to take care of everything. Risky if so.
edit: meant to quote your subsequent post but this one was also really helpful.

Will be fine till the first time the computer is gubbed...

But in all seriousness, despite the lack of communication and current issues arising from the change over, I'm totally fine with the new system as I think it is a fairer system. A moving average will better reflect your current level of play for golfers who regularly play comps and you get more shots on more difficult courses and less on easier courses, and for that the course/slope ratings gubbins are necessary to work that out.

And instead of playing with buffer in mind, it will be playing knowing the 20th score which will drop off after you've played today and the 8th best score currently counting that you're trying to beat to get a cut. I'm looking forward to it getting up and running.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Has anyone come across an app which calculates your course handicap? I know you can do it on the r&a or usga websites, but an app would be handy.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Has anyone come across an app which calculates your course handicap? I know you can do it on the r&a or usga websites, but an app would be handy.
Is you concern about not having internet access?
I'm assuming you'd have to give any app your index and the slope, so not convinced it would give much value over the calculator (on your phone)
But I may be missing something.

Last edited: