WHS Handicap Index - Finally Revealed

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Is you concern about not having internet access?
I'm assuming you'd have to give any app your index and the slope, so not convinced it would give much value over the calculator.
But I may be missing something.

No, it’s more that flicking between 2 web pages (the course guide and the calculator) is a bit of a pain on a phone. Flicking between a website and an app is a bit easier! 1st world problems!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Has anyone come across an app which calculates your course handicap? I know you can do it on the r&a or usga websites, but an app would be handy.

So you are stood on the first tee where the HI to Slope to Course Rating boards should be located and you want an app!!!

Sometimes I despair at the reliance on computer technology.

Each to his own I suppose.

I presume your phone has a calculator (HI x slope/113)

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What's wrong with the notice on the 1st tee or outside the proshop?
So you are stood on the first tee where the HI to Slope to Course Rating boards should be located and you want an app!!!

Thanks for the replies guys, glad I asked the straight forward question ???

D

Deleted member 15344

Thanks for the replies guys, glad I asked the straight forward question ???

It was an acceptable question but right now a lot of people are overreacting and being rude plenty of times

I have no doubt someone will provide an app to help calculate their multiple layers of handicap

The overall feeling from many is that this whole thing has been and continues to be a complete mess - it’s a complete waste of time , they got a simple idea and made it far too complicated for the average golfer and they can’t even get it right despite having how many years to get it right

A World Handicap System were every country does something different

Channel_Buoy

Visit site
So to be clear, what I have gleaned is PH = % x CH(rounded) in England, Wales and Ireland whilst PH = % x CH(unrounded) in Scotland and USA. Not sure what they do in Europe, Asia or the Southern Hemisphere!

It seems weird that in all the WHS and R&A explanations and examples they ignore and gloss over the differences and I've had to glean it by reading Scotland, Wales and USGA examples and also weird that EG says "don't worry about calculating it, you will be given your PH at your competition" or words to that effect. I'd like it if they made everything unrounded as that makes the most sense to me but given the differences I wish they would at least provide clear examples.

They also ignore the issue of when to incorporate course rating-Par. I assume you add that in only when competitors are playing from different tees, but again, nothing is explicitly stated. In this R&A video they show a few players by example on a par-72 course with a 72.5 rating and 125 slope. The guy with a 10.3 index would be playing with a CR of 11 if the rating-par adjustment were not used but they show him with a CR of 12 (which implies adding 72.5 - 72 to his normal CR - none of the others whose CIs are shown would be affected other than the scratch golfer who isn't shown in the CR section). Of the 4 golfers shown that then get playing handicaps only one would be different if they used the unrounded method: the older man with index 31.2 would get 29 shots rather than the 30 shown.

Why can't they just spell everything out clearly though?

wull

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I started playing again at the tail end of 2021 and then again towards the end of 2022, I decided I would play from the beginning of this season and try and take it serious and I have now finally surpassed the 20 cards, I think I’m now up towards the 30 mark, I’m not so sure I’m a fan of the new system but it is what it is.

I just accept that it does it’s own thing and what ever it says it what it is. The only real issue I’ve had is when I play one of the three 9’s at our course it for some reason uploads the scores to a completely different 9 and I have to email them to change it. That’s rare that I do that so I can live with it.

Genu9

Visit site
Has anyone come across an app which calculates your course handicap? I know you can do it on the r&a or usga websites, but an app would be handy.
Don't have an actual app, but I do have a Google Sheet that I use for when groups of us go elsewhere to play. Using tickboxes and Slope Ratings all the Playing handicaps are calculated for the course. As it is a Google sheet it is available anywhere. (even in Turkey).

Alan Clifford

Visit site
I find the lack of specificity in rounding really irritatiing. And, even worse, the WHSs handicap manuals specify, "An 18-hole Score Differential is calculated as follows and rounded to the nearest tenth, with .5 rounded upwards:" and then I find out the HNA in South Africa store differentials in their database to 4 decimal places. I found this out because I did the calculation and expected an exceptional but didn't get it by a micro-tad because of the 4 decimal places.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site

Personally Jim, I don’t know the last time anyone looked at a board and I find them quite useless.
EG. You know your hcap look on your board which shows you the shots you have, but last year it was 95% of Your shots. So you work it out yourself because the board is wrong. However this year now our course has 1 comp for all tees looking at the board is a complete and utter waste of time as everyone gets X number of extra shots and IG is the only way you know.

Swango1980

Visit site
Personally Jim, I don’t know the last time anyone looked at a board and I find them quite useless.
EG. You know your hcap look on your board which shows you the shots you have, but last year it was 95% of Your shots. So you work it out yourself because the board is wrong. However this year now our course has 1 comp for all tees looking at the board is a complete and utter waste of time as everyone gets X number of extra shots and IG is the only way you know.
The board you speak off is useful/ necessary for players to get their course handicap. This is they key one when a player is going out to submit a score for handicap.

Does your club not have a 2nd board next to it? Ours does, which shows the playing handicap for a whole range of allowances

D-S

Visit site
The board you speak off is useful/ necessary for players to get their course handicap.
But where do players get their HI from if they suspect it has changed? odds on from an App or a touchscreen which also displays their course handicap off all tees. If they haven’t put any cards in since the last time they played then their CH hasn‘t changed either. Useful at away courses sometimes though..

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The board you speak off is useful/ necessary for players to get their course handicap. This is they key one when a player is going out to submit a score for handicap.

Does your club not have a 2nd board next to it? Ours does, which shows the playing handicap for a whole range of allowances
@Tashyboy

You do realise this thread dates from 2020 don't you. by now I am sure we all know what apps are available and if you are like me you you know what strokes strokes you receive before you even leave home. However I see a lot of players use the boards particularly visitors and ours are correct whilst we still do not use CR-Par.

@Swango the board you talk about is adjacent to the slope boards
If you are submitting a GP score handicap all you need on the card are your gross scores.

Swango1980

Visit site
@Tashyboy

You do realise this thread dates from 2020 don't you. by now I am sure we all know what apps are available and if you are like me you you know what strokes strokes you receive before you even leave home. However I see a lot of players use the boards particularly visitors and ours are correct whilst we still do not use CR-Par.

@Swango the board you talk about is adjacent to the slope boards
If you are submitting a GP score handicap all you need on the card are your gross scores.
Although knowing your Course Handicap can still come in to play, if you have a bad hole and want to figure out if you can pick up on the hole, and get clear your head before teeing off the next :)

Swango1980

Visit site
But where do players get their HI from if they suspect it has changed? odds on from an App or a touchscreen which also displays their course handicap off all tees. If they haven’t put any cards in since the last time they played then their CH hasn‘t changed either. Useful at away courses sometimes though..
This is true, and gives players options.

For myself, I find it much quicker to look at my index on homescreen of MyEG while next to board, then checking course handicap on that board.

Likewise, in matchplay, I looks for my opponents index on a list on App, then find course handicap on board. I find that quicker than first finding Index, then using course handicap calculator function. But, again, that is an alternative

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site

No it just has the one board.That said I have arranged a pit golf day for next Friday 44 for us. We will be playing off the yellow pots. I have told the lads to look on the board for the shots they get. 👍

tobybarker

Visit site
you no longer need to enter your own HCP details on the card... its a committee responsibility. just FYI.