WHS Handicap Index - Finally Revealed

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That is probably a big reason why then

Firstly, the joining 3 cards were probably completely ignored (they were last week anyway, but not checked if they have rectified that). So, if you only have 7 cards in, it only takes the average of your lowest 2 scores to get Index. If 6, it takes average of lowest 2 and subtracts 1. So, if you only have a few scores, your best card could result in quite a low index. As you submit more cards, this should hopefully refine itself into something more "accurate"

That makes a lot of sense

My best scores were 36 and ,33 points I believe so would explain index maybe

Swango1980

Visit site
That's not my understanding, it will not be implemented in England, but it will in Scotland.
That's an interesting point. I'm based in England, and have been in quite in depth conversations with England Golf as to why they decided not to include the difference between CR and Par. Directly from the WHS Manual, Section 6.1 simply says Course Handicap = Index x Slope/113). There is no reference at all about adding CR-Par. Furthermore, in the local UK advice document, there is no reference to say any UK nation takes a different approach. So, I can only assume that Scotland is the same, but would be interested to find out if not.

I presume in countries like the USA, they have their own local advice document that applied CR-Par.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Time to kill today

I have been doing some one on one calculations.

My WHS scores verses the same ones on my UHS record. Allowing for desloping and SSS/CSS with Gross diff v Course rating with score differential. Just a few oddities with the decimal points hence why there may be a difference in my ongoing workings of my HI and what they have got.

Our par and SSS are the same off whites and there has only been a couple of comps where the CSS has not equalled the SSS so is the difference of 0.2 between course rating and par that has thrown up the slight decimal point differences.

There is so little difference that I know for me personally it will not worry me.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
That's an interesting point. I'm based in England, and have been in quite in depth conversations with England Golf as to why they decided not to include the difference between CR and Par. Directly from the WHS Manual, Section 6.1 simply says Course Handicap = Index x Slope/113). There is no reference at all about adding CR-Par. Furthermore, in the local UK advice document, there is no reference to say any UK nation takes a different approach. So, I can only assume that Scotland is the same, but would be interested to find out if not.

I presume in countries like the USA, they have their own local advice document that applied CR-Par.

Sorry it appears I was wrong.

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for putting me right, I'm sure I read on one of the other threads that Scottish Golf was treating it differently but would appear from your link that they are not.
I think Scottish golf are treating the point where rounding occurs in terms of working out playing handicap differently but can’t quite find anything to substantiate that at the moment. I think in Scotland we’ll get 95% of course handicap before rounding, so 95% of 4.9 rather than 5 in my case, with the rest of the U.K. rounding to 5 then getting 95% of that, although as I said I can’t find where I read that so feel free to correct or ignore me!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think Scottish golf are treating the point where rounding occurs in terms of working out playing handicap differently but can’t quite find anything to substantiate that at the moment. I think in Scotland we’ll get 95% of course handicap before rounding, so 95% of 4.9 rather than 5 in my case, with the rest of the U.K. rounding to 5 then getting 95% of that, although as I said I can’t find where I read that so feel free to correct or ignore me!
It's in another thread on this site

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ah yes, thanks. So many threads on the go here and so many whatsapp conversations today it’s hard to remember!

So in Scotland, we have to put the course handicap on our card to 1 decimal point instead of rounding to the nearest whole number?

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
I believe so, aye.

So how will that work for stableford adjustment and the whole thing about in Stableford comps, not picking up too soon as it's not based on the Playing Handicap (95% allowance in this example) but your Course handicap? If Course Handicap is not rounded to a whole number, do I get 0.7 strokes on SI hole 12 if my handicap is 11.7?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
So how will that work for stableford adjustment and the whole thing about in Stableford comps, not picking up too soon as it's not based on the Playing Handicap (95% allowance in this example) but your Course handicap? If Course Handicap is not rounded to a whole number, do I get 0.7 strokes on SI hole 12 if my handicap is 11.7?

Stableford adjustment can be done just as easily, with net double bogey inserted. You probably need that 0.7 shot on the 12th. But if you hit a half shot, does that only count as 0.5, leaving 0.2 over?

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Stableford adjustment can be done just as easily, with net double bogey inserted. You probably need that 0.7 shot on the 12th. But if you hit a half shot, does that only count as 0.5, leaving 0.2 over?

It was a serious question, I'm a Mathematician to trade to rounding is very close to my heart. It makes the "when do you pick up in a stableford" question trickier based on the information that your course handicap and not playing handicap is used for any stableford adjustments made to your gross score to calculate your adjusted gross score. Don't know how that can work properly if Course Handicap is not a whole number. If is IS a whole number when doing stableford adjustments, it then means you have in effect 2 course handicaps...

And my handicap isn't 11.7 so no 0.7 shots for me on the 12th :)

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It was a serious question, I'm a Mathematician to trade to rounding is very close to my heart. It makes the "when do you pick up in a stableford" question trickier based on the information that your course handicap and not playing handicap is used for any stableford adjustments made to your gross score to calculate your adjusted gross score. Don't know how that can work properly if Course Handicap is not a whole number. If is IS a whole number when doing stableford adjustments, it then means you have in effect 2 course handicaps...

Wouldn’t you just round it for that purpose after you’ve calculated your playing handicap? Seems clumsy but you could probably argue the whole thing feels clumsy at this stage anyway.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

That 12th is a classic three quarter par hole, though, isn't it?.

WHS can handle decimal scores, some course ratings are decimal, so the differentials will be to one decimal point anyway.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Just had a bit of fun search and in Augusta I would get 5 extra shots compared to home. Is that for the championship setup already? Or should I just double my handicap?
Pebble Beach another 2 shots on top of that, Winged Foot in teh middle.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
That 12th is a classic three quarter par hole, though, isn't it?.

WHS can handle decimal scores, some course ratings are decimal, so the differentials will be to one decimal point anyway.

It's the net bit of net double bogey I'm not getting my head around yet. Your gross score on any hole can only be a whole number and a net double bogey on any given hole also has to be a whole number as it's a comparison to the Par of the hole which is also a whole number, so I don't understand how the adjustment can be made on the single hole you don't get a full shot if the Course Handicap is a decimal.