WHS doesn't work

Swango1980

Visit site
My club hasn’t told me .
So now they will have to tell me something they havnt told me isn’t happening yet.
Our Club sent e-mails out to members this Tuesday, explaining the changes with WHS come April. Obviously, 4BBB being one of those changes.

I guess they will have to send another e-mail at some point, explaining the 4BBB change may not actually happen.

I'd love to know what the issue is. Behind the scenes, the change to 4BBB has been known for quite a long time. I'd have thought it would be relatively easy for the ISVs to add that to their software long ago, and had plenty of time to be tested. It is not like they are trying to add mathematics that only Will Hunting is capable of solving.

wjemather

Visit site
Our Club sent e-mails out to members this Tuesday, explaining the changes with WHS come April. Obviously, 4BBB being one of those changes.

I guess they will have to send another e-mail at some point, explaining the 4BBB change may not actually happen.

I'd love to know what the issue is. Behind the scenes, the change to 4BBB has been known for quite a long time. I'd have thought it would be relatively easy for the ISVs to add that to their software long ago, and had plenty of time to be tested. It is not like they are trying to add mathematics that only Will Hunting is capable of solving.
Judging by what others have heard from their ISVs, until recently, they didn't understand what needs to be sent through to dotgolf.

The work required from the ISVs depends where the assessment calculations are being done.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interesting to hazard a guess at the % of failing clubs and/or committees, resulting in players routinely being able to, let’s say, “not fulfil their responsibilities’ correctly, in addition clubs allowing GP cards (not switching their tees off) when their course is not acceptable..
A quick look on MyEG App shows that most of the courses in Leeds are enabled for Acceptable Scores which is amazing considering only a week ago they were either shut or heavily restricted.

Swango1980

Visit site
A quick look on MyEG App shows that most of the courses in Leeds are enabled for Acceptable Scores which is amazing considering only a week ago they were either shut or heavily restricted.
Well, I guess a course is either open for scores or not, no halfway measures. So, maybe the courses are now fully open, and scores are now possible?

Would have been interesting to know what the status of MyEG App was when they were closed or restricted.

D-S

Visit site
Well, I guess a course is either open for scores or not, no halfway measures. So, maybe the courses are now fully open, and scores are now possible?

Would have been interesting to know what the status of MyEG App was when they were closed or restricted.
There are lots of halfway measures, Back tees turned off, Forward tees only, Front 9 forward tees only, back 9 only etc.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site

Looking at the App for my course it simply says that (when you try to create a scorecard) there are no markers available (marker being the stupid term they use for "tee"....rather than being the person who marks your card!!!).

Swango1980

Visit site
There are lots of halfway measures, Back tees turned off, Forward tees only, Front 9 forward tees only, back 9 only etc.
OK, didn't come out the way I meant it.

I meant that you can either sign in for a round or not. There is no option to say "you can sign in for a round, but it'll only have 50% the impact than normal on your record because the course was boggy last week"

As far as I'm aware, there is no option to turn off individual holes? It is still either full round, or a set of 9 holes?

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Defo not the case in the vast majority!

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I know for a fact that ours never gets turned off on the EG platform, despite the fact its either shut or down to 15 holes when it is open, and playing off temp tees.

The club is terrible at this kind of admin but I appreciate its volunteer run.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know for a fact that ours never gets turned off on the EG platform, despite the fact its either shut or down to 15 holes when it is open, and playing off temp tees.

The club is terrible at this kind of admin but I appreciate its volunteer run.
That’s a major flaw in this system imo.

It’s down to volunteers to administer it in a lot of clubs if not most.

So people’s handicaps rely on volunteers checking on the manipulators.
We were assured that the hcap comittiees workload would not change.
That’s just plainly not true.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
How would they check? Surely it can’t be the responsibility of a committee member to phone up every club to check that a particular tee set was open on a specific date before inputting any manual GP card.
I didn't think anyone would do this but I met a fellow Handicap Chairman who did this for every card submitted from outside his home course. He talked about catching people out with an almost evangelical attitude and generally was opposed to GP scores so wanted to minimise their impact. I was speaking to him during a rain delay so the conversation went on for a while.

He told me with great glee that someone had submitted a card from a local course which he had played recently and complained that some of the tees were outside the 10yds in front of the marker. He actually checked that the club had not moved them on the day in question and disqualified the card due to it not being a measured course.

I asked him about the desire from EG to get people to submit cards whenever possible. His response was "not my problem".

I came to the conclusion that life was too short for this amount of hassle.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I didn't think anyone would do this but I met a fellow Handicap Chairman who did this for every card submitted from outside his home course. He talked about catching people out with an almost evangelical attitude and generally was opposed to GP scores so wanted to minimise their impact. I was speaking to him during a rain delay so the conversation went on for a while.

He told me with great glee that someone had submitted a card from a local course which he had played recently and complained that some of the tees were outside the 10yds in front of the marker. He actually checked that the club had not moved them on the day in question and disqualified the card due to it not being a measured course.

I asked him about the desire from EG to get people to submit cards whenever possible. His response was "not my problem".

I came to the conclusion that life was too short for this amount of hassle.
Sounds like he’s doing the right thing but for the wrong reasons.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Genuine question….who should administer it, if not people at the club itself?
It’s not the fact they do it.
The workload must have shot up under this system.

It’s fine if you have someone who wants to do this work.
But a lot of clubs havnt and it becomes a problem and not checked.

It’s going to be a paid job imo soon.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s not the fact they do it.
The workload must have shot up under this system.

It’s fine if you have someone who wants to do this work.
But a lot of clubs havnt and it becomes a problem and not checked.

It’s going to be a paid job imo soon.
It would only need a small % to be taken from Comp entry fees for this to happen. After all its in Comps that accurate H/caps matter most!!

D-S

Visit site
It would only need a small % to be taken from Comp entry fees for this to happen. After all its in Comps that accurate H/caps matter most!!
We have moved to this but the money isn’t coming from comps just from general club funds. Depending on the number of comps, cost of entry and scope of the role it could be a significant %. 5 hours a week for example at minimum wage is just under 3k.