Whoops, in future I'll always check the number on the teeing ground.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played Ardee today with a society. Suited me as it was quiet forgiving and from society tee was also quiet short. Very nice condition and quiet lush with the recent rain. After a bogey, double start I went on to par, par, blob (whoops) par, par, par, birdie. Turned in 23 points. Anyone who knows it though will admit the layout is a little bit confusing.

After the 11th, went to what we thought was the 12th tee box. Turned out it was actually the 17th but society tee were so far forward they weren't actually near the markers indicating the hole. None of us though to check because the tee box was in a logical position. Realised our mistake when a member angrily shouted at us for cutting in. Had no idea about procedure (2 stroke penalty and correct the mistake) and didn't have my rules book or my phone with the app. Saw the sign hidden in bushes for the 12th when we were pointed in the right direction. Went round and played on from the actual 12th which I proceeded to blank then my game went to pot because this mistake was plaguing my mind. Started to let everything get to me and finished with 35 points. Oh well maybe next time. On the plus side I was enjoying the impressive backspin on the very receptive greens :D

So learnt 2 valuable lessons today. Always check the number on the tee. Always remember to bring my phone with the rules app or my book.

Last edited:

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
We played Ramside today as a fourball and thankfully bozza off this forum knew the course as three out of the group thought we were about to tee off at a long, straight par four. Thankfully he pointed out the hole was actually a steep, dogleg right and the green we could see in the distance was a different hole.

I blame the marker post which was set at the most defensive line EVER.

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Really struggling to believe that you of all people went to the wrong place :whistle:

Well at least this time it wasn't quite 70 miles in the wrong direction.

Gulliver strikes again :rofl:

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
And to think I'm relying on you to get us to Lough Erne :rolleyes:

Looks like that's money down the drain, never mind I'm sure to get a good tour of Tyrone and Fermanagh :thup:

I got Malek to Ballyliffin and gave him a tour of Buncrana. I'm sure I can get you to Lough Erne in one piece.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Never played ardee but dont understand why courses cant have multpile tee markers with numbers.
Btw bob....dear jesus, it could only have been you.

Last edited:

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
stevie_r.Played your place todayand found that it was an easy walking course but in serious need of loving care and attention.
anyway the thing is that we made the same mistake,it was a man and a female coming up to the tee who pointed out our mistake
which was just as wll as I was going to tell them that they were going the wrong way thinking that they were also visitors,,,,,
thank god I kept the big mouth shut.The guy did say that theres the notice(pointed to small notice)I said that being dyslexic
I couldn't read it!

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
ardee.JPG

Green = Pin and green of 11th
Blue = The tee box we though was logically next.(actually 17th)
Yellow = The sign to the 12th and approx angle of vision you need to approach it from to see it.
Red= is the 12th tee.

There is a lot of trees in the way and a few paths. The medal tee for what I now know is the 17th is highly raised and there was a path curving up in that direction. Nearest tee box marker was about 15-20 yards from where to society tee was positioned.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
ardelayout.JPG

Also the layout. The front nine might leave you a little dizzy. Lot's of paths cross fairways etc. Nice course though. Would happily play it again. Hopefully makes it clearer as to how we might have made the mistake.

Last edited:

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
And to think I'm relying on you to get us to Lough Erne :rolleyes:

Looks like that's money down the drain, never mind I'm sure to get a good tour of Tyrone and Fermanagh :thup:

&possibly Carlow or Kilkenny ,make sure and stop in on the way past ....:rofl:

at my old club the 2nd & 15 tee boxes are shared , in a society day one of the guys not familiar with the course was tee'd up and ready to go after birdying the 1st until i asked him what he was doing ?

he smirked and said birdie man before the par man i reckon , smiling from ear to ear .. i just said grand but we have 13 more to play before we go that way , and if birdie gets ya up when we do eventually get back here you will be in the 2's club as 14th is a par 3 ..