Who would you pick as Europe's wild cards?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Europe’s team is terrible. One world class player in Rahm, one soon to be superstar on Hovland and a bunch of has beens, or never will be’s.

I think they will struggle to get 10 points.

Don't we say this everytime?

One thing I've always wondered is why do they have more captains picks and we have more automatic picks?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Just listening to Harrington - said that had Lowry qualified automatically, knocking Wiesberger out, then Rose (and then Noren) would have got a pick

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It all goes way over the top. Let’s face it neither made the team automatically and the pick comes down to two players ageing that you can hope have a good week.

Both similar world rankings, Poults better RC record and has beaten Rose in 5 of the last 8 tournaments they’ve been in. Better in last two majors and WGC but missed cut at wentworth course he never plays well at.

Rose has his major and Olympic gold but not recent wins and a good showing this weekend. Longer off tee and perhaps better course fit but perhaps not as vocal in team room if it’s all going a little wrong being an away match.

Both (if they had been picked) could get nil points, or both could be inspired by RC and get 3 or 4 points depending on the form of who they play against. Both able to guide a less experienced player round. It’s not like Harrington has gone left field given everybody said it was between those four players for picks, and probably a fortnight ago Poults and Garcia were considered shoe ins.

IanMcC

Visit site
A while ago, when I thought that Rose, Perez, Noren, Hojgaard and MacIntyre might be in the team, I strongly fancied Europe. With Harrington's selections of has beens and never beens, I shall now be betting on the US team to win.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Europe’s team is terrible. One world class player in Rahm, one soon to be superstar on Hovland and a bunch of has beens, or never will be’s.

I think they will struggle to get 10 points.
I totally agree. But we're talking about on paper. I thought the same 3 years ago and we managed to win that, so you never know. (Clutching at straws here.)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We've been the underdogs on paper every single time, at least in the modern era...
And we've won plenty....
Poulter needs to live up to his nickname...

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Look at the Solheim a couple of weeks ago, US stronger on paper and home advantage with no European crowd but still Europe won. I think this US team looks better without Woods or Mickleson, it's almost like a clean slate, 6 rookies and two thirds of the players aged 24-29, all young and fit and if they can gain team spirit it looks like the bulk of these players could be the basis of a strong US team for a while to come.

evemccc

Visit site
We’re always weaker on paper but , this time, the big worry for me is that so many of the team have been struggling for form. They need to find something that week or it’s going to put too much pressure onto the others.

It’s almost as if the team could do with finding an experienced Ryder Cup player, whose won the US Open, and featured in plenty of high-pressure moments at the sharp end of majors, dealt with US crowds countless times, and is on-form having finished 6th at Wentworth and closed with a birdie and eagle..

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We’re always weaker on paper but , this time, the big worry for me is that so many of the team have been struggling for form. They need to find something that week or it’s going to put too much pressure onto the others.

US have some issues too. Morikawa been struggling with a lot of 70+ rounds, DJ has some recent missed cuts, Brooks isn't playing as well as past with an injury, they've had to bench Mickleson (although rubbish RC record) despite winning a major, more rookies for unknown pairings and both Reed and Horschel have thrown some negative comments towards Stricker on picks. Add in the feuds and it's not plain sailing for them but agree at home, significantly better and younger team they are firm favorites.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm not sure the USA have got it quite right to be honest, a lot of big name individuals and a series of captains picks that I'm not sure blend to create a good team. There's a lot of pressure on them to deliver, particularly at home with a heavily stacked crowd - the only players in Europe I worry about in that environment is Wiesberger and Fitzpatrick. This is a very different type of tournament; from the 24 players, if they were just vying for a strokeplay competition or major, I'd say someone from the USA side would win it 80% of the time. But this format, Garcia, Westwood and Poults will love it and that experience is actually invaluable. I think it'll be closer than people are expecting and if we can follow the ladies with a good opening morning it'll be very interesting.

sunshine

Visit site
I can see quite a few weak links in the European team this year. Reminds me of 2016 when the likes of Fitzpatrick and Sullivan were like rabbits in headlights, and experienced old-timers like Westwood were not on form. This year, Fitzpatrick (again) and Wiesberger look vulnerable, and Fleetwood, Hatton and Lowry have hardly been inspired recently. Back in March this year when he was finishing 2nd at the Players, Westwood would have been a massive asset, but his recent form doesn't stack up.

To be fair, I see weak links in the US team too. Although they have the big guns, 6 rookies is a lot. English, Berger, Sheffler are potential weak links... strong over 72 holes stroke play but vulnerable in an 18 hole match play sprint.

It doesn't feel like the event will be a classic this year. Seem to be missing some of the head to head battles that have added spice down the years.

I think it will come down to the luck of the draw.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not optimistic about this year. It feels like a cup too far for the old boys, and apart from Rahm the youngsters aren't really ripping it up either.
Don't think that Harrington had much to go with, so not intended as a criticism of him. Just think that we're doomed.

D

Deleted member 1147

I notice a few posts suggesting Fitzpatrick wasn't good last time so he'd be a worry now. But it's important to remember he is 5 years older now, and still only 27.
I imagine he's matured a fair bit since then, and got used to playing in the States in all the biggest events.
That's not to say I think he'll win many points.

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
I notice a few posts suggesting Fitzpatrick wasn't good last time so he'd be a worry now. But it's important to remember he is 5 years older now, and still only 27.
I imagine he's matured a fair bit since then, and got used to playing in the States in all the biggest events.
That's not to say I think he'll win many points.
Also he's now got Billy Foster on his bag who's been there, done that with both Seve and Westwood, and he'll be a big asset.