Whites v Yellow

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Following on from the Tee markers thread, what are the differences between the Whites and Yellow (or equivalent) at your course. We only have 237 yards difference with the Whites being 6348 and the Yellows are 6111 yards - and the 18th accounts for 43 f these so not much difference throughout the rest of the course, 9 holes have less than 10 yards difference.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
458 yard

The main differences are:

60 yards on the 1st
30 yards on the 2nd
30 yards on the 7th
20 yards on the 10th
30 yards on the 12th
20 yards on the 16th
60 yards on the 17th
50 yards on the 18th

D-S

Visit site
We currently have 400 yards between whites and yellow and a further 300 yards to the shorter blues.

In future we will have 5 sets of tees, 6500, 6300, 6000, 5700 and 5300. All sets open to all players (even visitors) in the summer and winter - however in winter the 6500 and 6300 will be slightly shorter and not qualifying every day, the other 3 sets will be.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Overall the difference is only 268 yards. The only notable differences are:

2nd: Nearly 30 yards but also changes the angle making the fairway harder to hit.
3rd: (Par 3) makes it 15 or so yards longer but also a blind shot as different tee location.
8th: (Par 5) About 40 yards longer.
9th: (Par 5) About 40 yards longer.
13th: Nearly 40 yards longer and brings a tree on the right into play.

On the other holes the difference is pretty negligible. And yet I receive two fewer shots off yellows.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
6379 vs 6174
Many holes there's just a few yards difference
A couple are nearly 30 yards difference
Apart from the par 3 13th and par 3 8th, none of the differences make me change club

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
White: Par 70, CR 70.8, SR 132 and 6,257 yards.

Yellow: Par 70, CR 69.1, SR 127 and 5,954 yards.

Merely 303 yards or less than 17 yards per hole on average. The differences in CR and SR seems way too much. I notice very little difference when playing.
Two of the par-4s on the back nine become trickier off yellows for me. I can not clear some trees with driver (too close) to shorten the dogleg, take a 3-wood or hybrid and end up further from the green than when I play from the whites.

9-over off whites gives you a score differential of 7.0
7-over off yellows gives you a score differential of 7.0

No way is the yellow course 2 shots easier for me. I prefer to play from the whites to achieve desirable score differentials.

Yellow tees are "harder"!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Whites - 6,781
Yellow - 6,390

Red - 5,782

391yds difference between yellows and whites. 4 holes have 50yds or more between the tees.

I avoid the whites at ours, few visitors like them either. Even the yellows could lose 300-400yds quite easily and be much better for it.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
640 yards between the tournament (7050) and typical comp tees (6410) then another 508 yards down to next tee used by male players

So pretty notable differences between them and definitely makes significant changes when playing each hole

Burnsey

Visit site
No idea in distance, but the whites are harder 🤣

For me, it isn't the distance, but the tougher positions, be that left or right, getting overhanging trees or such, making lines more tricky etc.

Mandofred

Visit site
Officially 300. 1 hole is 50 longer....not much of any difference on almost all of the holes...which is why I've never understood the macho attitude of having to hit from the whites. Hitting from 385 instead of 375 is pretty irrelevant. Quite a few people if you even suggest to hit from a slightly shorter tee will take it as a direct insult to their manhood. Hitting from 5-10yds closer doesn't usually make the hole better or worse...just different. I have suggested making changes like different tees in the past....usually just scoffed at for even suggesting it.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Par 72, only 204 yards difference, but does seem to play significantly harder for most off the white tee's. The 18th is actually 28 yards shorter off the whites.

Whites = 6598, 73.1, 138
Yellow = 6394, 72.2, 135

wjemather

Visit site
~275 yards total difference between White and Yellow.
Most holes are similar yardages, but a some are significantly different with up to a 40 yard difference, and 3 play from a significantly different angle (Yellow is actually longer than White on one of these).

Springveldt

Visit site
Going by the scorecard there are 323 yards difference, whites are 6532 and yellows 6209. No idea what the differences are though as I've only played the whites and blacks (6729).

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Officially 300. 1 hole is 50 longer....not much of any difference on almost all of the holes...which is why I've never understood the macho attitude of having to hit from the whites. Hitting from 385 instead of 375 is pretty irrelevant. Quite a few people if you even suggest to hit from a slightly shorter tee will take it as a direct insult to their manhood. Hitting from 5-10yds closer doesn't usually make the hole better or worse...just different. I have suggested making changes like different tees in the past....usually just scoffed at for even suggesting it.
You are just a free thinker........ 😄 .

In my group, if I suggested playing off the whites I'd get the same scoffing. If someone else suggested whites, I'd be the one shaking my head. We don't have egos (nor can we hit it miles 🤭)

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
260 yds Although they are not deemed white and yellow. A couple are significantly longer and more difficult . All the par3's there is quite a difference. A couple of the par4's I actually think are significantly easier from the yellows although slightly longer the driving angle is much easier.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
264 yds between white (6556) and yellow (6292). Nothing over 20yds on any one hole, but some of the tees mean different angles of play and longer carry’s are required. Mostly I find fairway bunkers are easier to find off the yellows.

Last year the closed the white tees over winter for the first time, hopefully they do it again this year. 🤞

Mandofred

Visit site

In my group, if I suggested playing off the whites I'd get the same scoffing. If someone else suggested whites, I'd be the one shaking my head. We don't have egos (nor can we hit it miles 🤭)
I don't mind playing from the whites, the course isn't all that long. My suggestions in the past have been more to just do something different, especially during the winter when it's muddy and cold anyway. A couple of months ago I purposely kind of forced a 3 out of 4 to count in the rollup (almost always 2 of 4)......the complaining was outstanding and hasn't been repeated. We have really short blue tees (for juniors?)....just for a laugh I think we should play from them at least once....why not?

As mentioned by HampshireHog above, they removed our whites last year during the winter. The ball just doesn't go anywhere during the mucky time of the year....but if they did have the whites, there would be plenty of people who insisted on hitting from them....just because it's the whites.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

Most of our swindles are played off the white but we decided that once a month we would also go off the whites but would also play different formats as well