Whites And Yellows

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Our 1st is a 227 yard par 3, with OOB to the left and crap to the right. Followed by our SI 1 435 yard Par 4 2nd... tough starting holes, you'd take 4 and 5 any day.

Our 8th is then another 223 yard par 3 but the best is our 12th, a 240+ yard par 3 tree lined with green slightly lower than the tee. It's a pig of a hole, I think Peter Aliss once described it as the hardest par 4 in the country!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Granted but for many, they play stableford either socially or in competitions and so it would have a relevance. I know may of our lower handicap guys are happy to take four at the first with a par five to come next
Presumably your club doesn't involve itself in much match play.
Significant research has shown that 'swings and roundabouts' gives the same stableford points pretty well all the time regardless of where/why stroke holes are allocated. In particular, the top few scores were not impacted.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Our 1st is a 227 yard par 3, with OOB to the left and crap to the right. Followed by our SI 1 435 yard Par 4 2nd... tough starting holes, you'd take 4 and 5 any day.

Our 8th is then another 223 yard par 3 but the best is our 12th, a 240+ yard par 3 tree lined with green slightly lower than the tee. It's a pig of a hole, I think Peter Aliss once described it as the hardest par 4 in the country!

Where is this ? They are brutal par3s.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Coming back to Whites and Yellows...
Just had an email from the club informing me that the White tees can now be used for non-competition golf at weekends after 11am.....
Previously we have been banned from the Whites unless in competition.
I'm sat here trying to fathom what's so special about 11am on a Saturday or Sunday that makes it ok to use the Whites for a social when 11am, or indeed any other time you can think of, during the week isn't......

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Where is this ? They are brutal par3s.
Wimbledon Common Golf Club. Worth a look if your around the area. It's only a short course but extremely tight. You do get some people looking at the card and assuming the can 'take it apart'. They cant :-D A very good test of golf and the greens are brilliant, amongst the best in the area.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Wimbledon Common Golf Club. Worth a look if your around the area. It's only a short course but extremely tight. You do get some people looking at the card and assuming the can 'take it apart'. They cant :-D A very good test of golf and the greens are brilliant, amongst the best in the area.
Have to agree and what about the 12th as a card wrecker https://www.wcgc.co.uk/course/hole_by_hole/hole_12

HamiltonGuy

Visit site
Stroke index has no relevance in medal play (nor in course records).
Well in matchplay it’s deemed the 3rd easiest. He bogeyed it as his only hole. That’s my point. That’s the relevance. Apologies if you missed this was pretty complicated I suppose

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well in matchplay it’s deemed the 3rd easiest. He bogeyed it as his only hole. That’s my point. That’s the relevance. Apologies if you missed this was pretty complicated I suppose
Well, in match play it's simply allocated as SI16 for the distribution of strokes. Technically there's no direct link between how easy it is to par, or difficulty - and in practice there are as many arguments for strokes to be given on the easiest holes than the hardest as well.
However, your point that the hole is tough is well made.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well, in match play it's simply allocated as SI16 for the distribution of strokes. Technically there's no direct link between how easy it is to par, or difficulty - and in practice there are as many arguments for strokes to be given on the easiest holes than the hardest as well.
However, your point that the hole is tough is well made.
On most courses, stroke index 1 and 2 still indicate they're the most difficult holes despite CONGU recommendations. I know our stroke index 1 and 2 hasn't change in the last 40 years . Although other holes have changed their SI.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Are you asking to make sure you can avoid it? I would, not much fun to be had in those holes 😳

Playing all those +200 yard par 3s all the time would get tiresome but I certainly would like the challenge of trying to work them out. there is nearly always somewhere you can bail out and try to make par from there.

Actually don't mind one long one per course as its a good challenge and you are not losing shots on the field if you can make par. In fact a lot of times you are gaining a shot on almost everyone.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
On most courses, stroke index 1 and 2 still indicate they're the most difficult holes despite CONGU recommendations. I know our stroke index 1 and 2 hasn't change in the last 40 years . Although other holes have changed their SI.
How many of the 1800+ courses in England have you contacted to find out how they assessed SI allocation?

User20204

Visit site
The changing of the SI at my place is the main reason there is very little entrants from single digit players to matchplay comps now.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
None, but it might be an idea for someone to start a poll / survey on this forum , is their SI 1 is the hardest hole :cool::unsure::devilish:.
Not in our case (by either of the evaluation approaches - average score relative to par or the lowest % achieving par). However, from a statistical perspective, and relevant to this tangent on this thread, there are massive differences in how different golfing categories find holes to play; typically for cat 1 as a group it will be a difficult par 3 when for 2 & 3 it's more likely to be a long par 4.
As I've said many times, I'm a strong believer in stableford scored play being significantly more enjoyable when SI do reflect the difficulty in making par, as it does for the more specific Bogey comp format. For match play it's much more about distribution, and I would far rather give a single stroke on the easiest hole on the course than the hardest for the obvious reasons - but at the end of the day it doesn't matter.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
it was something of a revelation to me when I started doing course rating. The difference in the relative difficulty of some holes when looking at the 'points' for the scratch and bogey player. Then when comparing the problems presented to the model scratch or bogey player and individual members of the rating team. The extreme cases could be seen with the real bogey player. Long hitting but erratic with but short game vs short hitter but skilful chipper and putter.

Further re match play distribution. The classic example is A off -0.4 and B off -0.5, standing all square on the 18th tee (SI 1, 180 yard par 3). Who do you put your money on?