Whites v Yellows

AliMc

Visit site
The pace when i play is fine (weekdays) but weekends I dont overly know..

id love to play off the "yellows" but none of my ego friends will.. think it would make the course really interesting bringing bunkers into play etc and par 3s would be more fun
This is the issue I find at Dunbar, I play with my mate most Sundays, we are both off 5 and reasonably long hitters, we generally just play off the yellows, almost always behind folk (who tbh given their standard of play should be off the yellows) playing off the whites, they would have a much more enjoyable game off the yellows but you get the impression that it's almost not manly to play off the forward tees

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is the issue I find at Dunbar, I play with my mate most Sundays, we are both off 5 and reasonably long hitters, we generally just play off the yellows, almost always behind folk (who tbh given their standard of play should be off the yellows) playing off the whites, they would have a much more enjoyable game off the yellows but you get the impression that it's almost not manly to play off the forward tees

I mean I'm the shortest hitter in my group on average. Few times I'm not.. so when we pick whites (now black) it's like come on

Most holes fine no issue it's those par 3s ..my mates taking irons in and I'm getting out the 4 hyrbid

I'm always of the opinion a mid to short par 3 is more enjoyable for all.. long hitters can take a wedge and really go for it and average guys can take a mid iron

I'm gonna push for us to try these new yellows .. I mean I like the old yellows their fine but would be great for a couple of par 4s you could really get within 80 yards without the winds assistance lol

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
WHS operates on a Stableford basis, as did UHS; the issue is that most golfers have never recognised that their play to handicap score could be anything other than 36 points, and they are now failing to account for the 95% allowance too.
This is not a fact, but a perception.
The net double bogey limit and adjusted gross score can be viewed or perceived without any required link to stableford.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
It doesn't require perception; it's in the rule book.
What? It is in the rule book that everyone must take the view that the nett double bogey limit and adjusted gross score is based on stableford.
I am breaking the rules all the time.
Someone should report me to the authorities.

TigerBear

Visit site
My course is quite short and playing off the whites doesn't really add much yardage in with some holes the white and yellows effectively playing the same length.

Frustrating.

Swango1980

Visit site
Thank you.
I shall continue to have the perception that the net double bogey limit and adjusted gross score need not be linked in any way to stableford.
:D To be continued...
Doesn't Stableford effectively adjust terrible holes to a maximum of nett double bogey? Same as Adjusted Gross Score in handicapping. They do the same thing.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Doesn't Stableford effectively adjust terrible holes to a maximum of nett double bogey? Same as Adjusted Gross Score in handicapping. They do the same thing.
Yes.
And I think that you know that I know this, as we've had this discussion before.

The OP states that he "get only ONE shot more" off the whites when several of the holes are much longer and harder for him.
He is thinking about the relative difficulty of achieving 2 stableford points on those holes.
He does need to think this way, but it is up to him how he thinks.

Recently I had a score of 78 and the adjusted gross score was 76.
This gave me a differential of 4.5.
I do not need to think of stableford in this process and that is up to me.

I do not demand that everyone should think the way I do.
I like to point out alternative views to enrich a discussion.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our club only allow play from Whites during comps. To make things worse they put the yellow tee's forward to reduce wear during the week. As I am a 5 day member I pretty much play my course off the reds.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our club only allow play from Whites during comps. To make things worse they put the yellow tee's forward to reduce wear during the week. As I am a 5 day member I pretty much play my course off the reds.
Are they rated for both genders?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
What a great post. It shows to me how the old system made us all "stableford thinkers" including me.
Phrases such as, "I get x-amount of shots" persist as players are still focussing on stableford.
I have been trying to persuade people to judge their performance on differential. It mostly goes in one ear and out the other. It does take time to change one's thinking.
Yeah but the par is out there in front of you as you play. The differential, I have no idea what that was until I've finished playing and it's on my record which tells you. ??‍♂️

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Yeah but the par is out there in front of you as you play. The differential, I have no idea what that was until I've finished playing and it's on my record which tells you. ??‍♂️
For me, my golf score is my total number of shots for 18 holes.

At my club, par 70 with CR 70.8 and SR 132 off the whites,

score/differential

70/-0.7
71/0.2
72/1.0
73/1.9
74/2.7
75/3.6
76/4.5
77/5.3
and so on.

Not too difficult for anyone to produce a little chart such as this for their own course and in their desired scoring range.

I find these figures useful when considering "playing to or near my handicap".

This is what I've described previously as my moving away from being a "stableford thinker" that the previous handicap system had made most of us to be.

From the outset, I set my mind to embracing the new system and I was prepared to let the new system change my thinking.

I do not dislike stableford. Most of my competition rounds at my club are stablefords.
But I no longer think of stableford as my golf score.
My golf score is my total shots for 18 holes and the resulting differential achieved.

Swango1980

Visit site

score/differential

70/-0.7
71/0.2
72/1.0
73/1.9
74/2.7
75/3.6
76/4.5
77/5.3
and so on.

Not too difficult for anyone to produce a little chart such as this for their own course and in their desired scoring range.

This is what I've described previously as my moving away from being a "stableford thinker" that the previous handicap system had made most of us to be.

From the outset, I set my mind to embracing the new system and I was prepared to let the new system change my thinking.

I do not dislike stableford. Most of my competition rounds at my club are stablefords.
My golf score is my total shots for 18 holes and the resulting differential achieved.
That is fair enough. Although, I'd hazard a guess, most golfers probably are not overly interested in creating little charts. They may just about learn how to score in Stableford (although I know some who even struggle with that a little)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

score/differential

70/-0.7
71/0.2
72/1.0
73/1.9
74/2.7
75/3.6
76/4.5
77/5.3
and so on.

These days for stableford comps, as for medals, I tend to simply record my shots taken and don’t note my Stableford points as I go round. After 9 and 18 I’ll check with my marker my total gross, if we don’t match we check gross for each hole. I’ll often just let the system work out my points after entering my score electronically for WHS unless my Stableford total is required and I’m not entering score for WHS.

I‘m finding that this helps me improve my focus on playing the hole in front of me and one hole at a time.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
You are plainly wrong. Your handicap for the day does not include a calculation for CR, however, the Score Differential does.
Yes I am wrong. I've checked. Problem is, with my thinking, is that I'm playing the whites and then having to knock off a percentage that puts me back to almost my handicap anyway. Ooooo me head hurts.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

score/differential

70/-0.7
71/0.2
72/1.0
73/1.9
74/2.7
75/3.6
76/4.5
77/5.3
and so on.

I think you live in cloud cuckoo land sometimes - I can well imagine people creating little charts of score differentials, yeah. :LOL: People think in Stableford points because it's easier to track how you're doing one hole at a time. i.e. 2 points and you're on track, 3 points and you're one ahead etc. No different to how a PGA leaderboard shows that so-and-so is 5 under par for so many holes, it's just a quick indicator.

Don't know if it's just me but I don't add my gross score up as I go along - don't have enough fingers and toes for that! I just know if I've got mostly '2s & 3s' in Stableford terms I'm doing well, if it's more '1s & 2s' then I'm not doing so well. The only change I probably will have to make to my thinking is to start remembering that 36 points off the yellows won't be good enough for handicap purposes, I'll need 39 points or something, whereas off the whites it's probably 37 or 38 points roughly. I can think of that way but there's zero chance I'm going to start thinking about what differential I'm on when I'm half-way round.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have charts for both differentials and playing handicaps for the 3 courses I am a member of, and as it's stored on my One Drive I have access to them on my phone should I need them. I also have a handy wee calculator to work out my CH and PH for any other course I may be playing.

And I never think in terms of points, only my gross score. Has always been that way since I started playing as a youngster.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think you live in cloud cuckoo land sometimes - I can well imagine people creating little charts of score differentials, yeah. :LOL: People think in Stableford points because it's easier to track how you're doing one hole at a time. i.e. 2 points and you're on track, 3 points and you're one ahead etc. No different to how a PGA leaderboard shows that so-and-so is 5 under par for so many holes, it's just a quick indicator.

Don't know if it's just me but I don't add my gross score up as I go along - don't have enough fingers and toes for that! I just know if I've got mostly '2s & 3s' in Stableford terms I'm doing well, if it's more '1s & 2s' then I'm not doing so well. The only change I probably will have to make to my thinking is to start remembering that 36 points off the yellows won't be good enough for handicap purposes, I'll need 39 points or something, whereas off the whites it's probably 37 or 38 points roughly. I can think of that way but there's zero chance I'm going to start thinking about what differential I'm on when I'm half-way round.

In a comp especially I dont add anything up

I'll put my score on the card to let the computer work it out after

Only time I really know my score is on 9 when my watch tells me my 9 hole score lol and I think bugger best turn up second half