Whites And Yellows

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
We have been playing most of our monthly comps as multi tee for some time now. In the winter that gives a choice of yellow or green, currently it's white, yellow or green.
There's about a 400yd difference between each set of tees, which equates to a 2 stroke differential either way (white +2, green -2).

Initial scepticism has gone, fields are up, more people are enjoying their competitions.

We typically play multi tee but as in Mens/Seniors/Ladies rather than a choice. Since you've been doing it do you think the stroke differential is a good reflection on moving up or back a tee box?
(its sometimes seems that its easy to gain/lose 2 shots just on one hole let alone a full round)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
We typically play multi tee but as in Mens/Seniors/Ladies rather than a choice. Since you've been doing it do you think the stroke differential is a good reflection on moving up or back a tee box?
(its sometimes seems that its easy to gain/lose 2 shots just on one hole let alone a full round)
I need more stats to be definitive in that regard - and by the time I have them I will have a whole new set of ratings to consider them against!
My overall impression is that most people have a set of tees that suits their normal game the best on any course (realise that's hardly rocket science but it's an important tenant).
When playing from those tees there is an improvement in the median of the distribution curve for scores - but the top end stays pretty similar. This reflects the fact that to buffer or better still requires a player to play well in relation to their handicap but, using the usual consideration of 36pts = SSS (irrelevant what the actual numbers are) you see an increase in the low 30's and a reduction in the low 20's.
The other element is that when conditions deteriorate there is less likely to be a significant collapse in scoring ie significant increases in CSS are less common.
There's no pattern to which tees deliver the winners (yet)

HamiltonGuy

Visit site
There’s 300 yards between our whites and yellows. Most people tend to play the whites as two par 5s become very long par 4s. Saying that we have a blue medal which makes some nice par 4s very challenging. Most folk are comfortable from the whites as 3/4 medals are from them and most people practice from them

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
There’s 300 yards between our whites and yellows. Most people tend to play the whites as two par 5s become very long par 4s. Saying that we have a blue medal which makes some nice par 4s very challenging. Most folk are comfortable from the whites as 3/4 medals are from them and most people practice from them
What is the difference in the SSSs?

D

Deleted member 23344

I usually play off the yellows at our place, but off the whites for comps. The difference is 400 yards, but it is the tee position as well as the extra length that can cause me issues. A few of the white tees have a completely different line which changes the hole significantly.

GolfingPastor

Visit site
On some of the holes at my previous course you couldn’t even see the whites from the yellow tee! Usually further up and around a corner to create a harder line and slightly longer

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
The SSS or CSS doesn't matter a jot, if you can't clear trouble from the tee . I've played a few opens where it takes a 160/170 yard carry over heavy knee high rough. Not great for us short hitting seniors.:mad:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1147

Our course had 3 sets of men’s tees

Yellow 6.3k, par 72, sss 72
White 6.7k, par 72, sss 73
Blue 7k, par 70, sss 74

Most competitions are off white with club championship off blue, plus a few blue & yellow competitions over the course of the season

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Nairn has just changed our tee layout we don't have Red, Yellow, White and Blue any longer, now its Green, Blue, white and Black?? no idea why they changed the colours.

The old whites where 6500 now 6486, not sure how they came up with this and the first is some 30 yards longer and the 7th 50, the tee's are in more or less the same place yet the card says shorter. The Back tee's now known as the Black was 6800 when it was Blue, now its 6900, that reflects the extra yardage. The old ladies tees (red) is 80 yards shorter now they are green.

maybe when the rest of the changes this winter are completed it will become clearer?

TBH i hardly ever play from the Yellow/Blue as once we get into the season we always play from the white, unless its Hickory golf, then i might, but not played those on the new layout yet.

anyway from the yellow/ blue its 300 shorter, with much easier angles off the tee, where as the further back you go the angle changes, not just the distance, you have to be careful as some tee's just face out in the the gorse or at Bunkers, i think our layout is a better course/ challenge from the white over shorter tee's

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Gulp. I've just checked, 486 yard difference in ours! One par three goes from 215 yards to 250 ! The 17th hole adds almost 100 yards to a par 4 !

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Gulp. I've just checked, 486 yard difference in ours! One par three goes from 215 yards to 250 ! The 17th hole adds almost 100 yards to a par 4 !
Somebody there needs a slap. A 250yd par 3, that is ridiculous.

When people discuss great par 3 holes you never see one mentioned that is over 200yds and most are short ones, <150 yds. That is terrible design presumably to boost the overall length of the course.