Norfolk golf road trip

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Just got back from a four day rd trip to Norfolk and it was a stunning four days, just stunning.
got back from Benidorm on Sunday afternoon and was off to Norfolk on Monday morning first thing.
Packed my golf gear two weeks ago and had base layers, waterproofs, high neck tops the lot. At the last minute Monday morning I put in two pairs of shorts. Thank the Lord.
Monday, played Swaffham, £30 with a meal banged in and it was an absolute steal for that price. We all loved it. Front nine my stomach was all over the place with differant water and diet etc and played my worst nine holes for months. Ironically we were talking to four guys from Cromer GC who were raving about Swaffham and the price they charge.
Tuesday, of to Hunstanton and for £75 we all enjoyed it some of the holes were excellent with the best greens I have played on. They were gorgeous. Banged my drive in a bunker and proceeded to smash my vokey 110 yd and put it six foot from the pin. We all enjoyed it. dropped a clanger not getting a course card.
Weds, we were Booked into Sheringham and for £55 somebody should of called the police coz we robbed them blind. It is a stunning stunning course. Some of the views from some of the tees were just unbelievable. The fifth ( I think) is one of the best tee shot views I have ever seen and I hit my best drive of the four days off that. With hog warts express going up and down the railway it was an unforgettable round and I smashed it for 34 points. On the 18th I smashed a three wood over the hill into a bunker 90-100 yd from the pin and put my bunker shot 6ft from the pin. Missed the putt.
Today we played Kings Lynn for £60, don't ask me why but I had an odd feeling about playing there, when i spoke to the club shop to book the round they went to great lengths to tell me about how nice the course is, how we will enjoy it, it sounded like a blow your own trumpet conversation. We arrived and the first thing they told me was they had put out tee time back half an hour because of a comp. oh right. They have no course cards. Oh right. But the place just looks gorgeous. The fairways are tighter than cramp. Tashyboy smashed his first drive straight down the middle. The course is just stunning and I mean stunning. No wonder they blow there own trumpet. It was a real pleasure being able to smash a drive and then hit an iron onto the green. On three of the par fours I had putts for birdies and missed the bloody lot. Two from 10ft. The wildlife there is a thing of beauty. I smashed it for 36 points with a soddin blob.

in our fourball I finished second over all by 7 points and god how I was bogged off with that front nine at Swaffham.

So Which was the Best course overal re price, condition, wow factor etc
1, Sheringham, for £55 it is an absolute stonker. It is the best links I have played by a country mile in the UK and you can put the Old course and Goswick, Skegness into that mix. There are holes on that course that are Just Wow.
2, Kings Lynn, it is just gorgeous it is a course that is a a thing of beauty and again some of the holes were awesome.
3, Hunstanton! For £75 for us it was a bit overpriced. Some of the holes were very nice. The greens were outstanding and as good as I have ever played on. But it just missed a bit of summat.
4, Swaffham is just behind Hunstanton, for £30 it was a steel Melly who won it overall put Swaffham in front of Hunstanton.

The weather helped to make it a fantastic four days golf.

I was fortunate to play my now fave links and parkland course in two days.
Any members at any of these four courses are fortunate to play on stonking courses.

simplyme

Head Pro
Visit site
You played 4 fantastic courses there, Sheringham is an absolute delight and it was the 5th tee with the views. I am there are the weekend for the 36 hole open, 5th year running and we only pay £45 I think for 36 holes and lunch!

Kings Lynn is also fantastic, so tight but a true golf test!

m9wst

Head Pro
Visit site
Sounds good mate, it's hard to put hunstanton sheringham and cromer into some order.

You are right about the views at sheringham, on a nice day it's as good as links golf gets, however I've played there in some rotten weather, don't mind that but couldn't do it every weekend!

If you go again definitely worth a visit to cromer, played there last year for the first time in about 12-14 years, got some cracking holes and amazing views again.

Plus you gotta add Thetford too as its my home club, good all year round, arguably in better condition in the winter months. Would avoid spring time as the greens aren't great then.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Sounds good mate, it's hard to put hunstanton sheringham and cromer into some order.

You are right about the views at sheringham, on a nice day it's as good as links golf gets, however I've played there in some rotten weather, don't mind that but couldn't do it every weekend!

If you go again definitely worth a visit to cromer, played there last year for the first time in about 12-14 years, got some cracking holes and amazing views again.

Plus you gotta add Thetford too as its my home club, good all year round, arguably in better condition in the winter months. Would avoid spring time as the greens aren't great then.

What you could not put into any order was the members at all four clubs, all of those we spoke to were as welcoming as you could wish for. All were very friendly and gave excellent advice. Thetford was a course that was mentioned a few times as was Cromer. Next year could well include, Cromer, Thetford and Woodhall spa on the way home.

m9wst

Head Pro
Visit site
That definitely helps, and mean I wouldn't hesitate in going back. Played in the mizuno pairs event last year at those three links places, only thing that separated them for me was the quality of the food...hunstanton won that by a mile.

That trip sounds pretty decent!

paddyc

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Good write up Tashy. Sounds like you had great time. Played Sheringham many times and the front along cliffs is something else.
Shame you did not play Royal west Norfolk (Brancaster), maybe next time.

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you liked Sheringham then you'll not be disappointed when you visit Royal Cromer, for me Cromer just edged it but for my dad he finds it hard to choose, and he has played plenty of Norfolk courses. Kings Lynn is great, £60 may be a bit steep, but as long as you enjoyed the course then the £ shouldn't matter too much.

paddyc

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If you liked Sheringham then you'll not be disappointed when you visit Royal Cromer, for me Cromer just edged it but for my dad he finds it hard to choose, and he has played plenty of Norfolk courses. Kings Lynn is great, £60 may be a bit steep, but as long as you enjoyed the course then the £ shouldn't matter too much.

Cromer is a decent track Rob but I don't think its in the same league as Sheringham. Its more parkland than links like Sheringham , you do not have the views of the sea and coast line and for me Cromer only has 2 or 3 memorable holes.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Sheringham is not a links it's a clifftop course and yes, try to add Brancaster to your list for next time as it is the best of them all :thup: