Whites And Yellows

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Somebody there needs a slap. A 250yd par 3, that is ridiculous.

When people discuss great par 3 holes you never see one mentioned that is over 200yds and most are short ones, <150 yds. That is terrible design presumably to boost the overall length of the course.
Our par 3, 5th is 230 yards.There's one at Carluke GC the 12th i think ,240 uphill with around 40 feet elevation.:eek::eek::eek:

D

Deleted member 1147

Somebody there needs a slap. A 250yd par 3, that is ridiculous.

When people discuss great par 3 holes you never see one mentioned that is over 200yds and most are short ones, <150 yds. That is terrible design presumably to boost the overall length of the course.
Not necessarily.
Without knowing the hole you can’t judge. If it’s downhill it may play closer to 200yds.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Our par 3, 5th is 230 yards.There's one at Carluke GC the 12th i think ,240 uphill with around 40 feet elevation.:eek::eek::eek:
Why, just why? I'm guessing huge chunks of the members will just play it as a 4. The pleasure of a good par 3, imo, is to test your iron play, your short irons in particular. Maybe that is too simplistic but that is how I see it. 230yds or 240 uphill is a driver for 90% of amateurs and a driver plus 1 other club for probably 40% (I'm guessing figures here). Where is the fun in those holes?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not necessarily.
Without knowing the hole you can’t judge. If it’s downhill it may play closer to 200yds.
I'm making assumptions without seeing it, you are correct. As a rule of thumb though 250yds is still likely to be a big whack even if downhill.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Gulp. I've just checked, 486 yard difference in ours! One par three goes from 215 yards to 250 ! The 17th hole adds almost 100 yards to a par 4 !
Can you name the course and hole? Is there a flyover or picture that we can see on the club website?

If you don't want to name the club then don't post, don't want you to get into trouble just to please a little curiosity.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why, just why? I'm guessing huge chunks of the members will just play it as a 4. The pleasure of a good par 3, imo, is to test your iron play, your short irons in particular. Maybe that is too simplistic but that is how I see it. 230yds or 240 uphill is a driver for 90% of amateurs and a driver plus 1 other club for probably 40% (I'm guessing figures here). Where is the fun in those holes?
Ours is slightly down hill i catch the odd time if it's a good dry day :p;)

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Anyway folks. Par is just a number - the course is the same for everyone playing / competing.

So what if it is a par 4 or a par 3? It's the same hole.

Does it suddenly become easier as a par 4? Is the standard scratch going to change?

We have a 200 yard and a 220 yard par 3, both uphill, the 220 quite seriously up hill. People get completely frustrated at these and especially on the 220 yarder, & take on shots they would never risk at a par 4.

Play it as a par 4 and make a 2 putt 4. Simples.

D

Deleted member 1147

Why not hit it at the green and try to make less than 4?

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Also heard an interesting point from the Pro at our place. He said for longer hitters, including many amatuers, it is likely that they would play all the par 4s and par 5s without hitting more than a 7 or 8 iron as an approach (unless they go for the par 5s in 2). So a big reason clubs are happy to have longer par 3s is that puts a long iron or hybrid in these guys hands and tests them. Obviously as lower handicaps or scratch golfers, they will not feel they have the luxury of a 'shot' to lay back at a long par 3.

But for most handicap players, they will be getting a shot at a 220 yard par 3 and so can choose to use it and take some risk out of play.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I fully agree with that. A par 3 you need your driver to reach is pointless in my opinion. Driver gets enough use on the other holes.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Anyway folks. Par is just a number - the course is the same for everyone playing / competing.

Does it suddenly become easier as a par 4? Is the standard scratch going to change?

We have a 200 yard and a 220 yard par 3, both uphill, the 220 quite seriously up hill. People get completely frustrated at these and especially on the 220 yarder, & take on shots they would never risk at a par 4.

I largely agree with that, just play the holes in the fewest shots you can regardless of par. But when most courses only have around four par 3s, I think it's a waste one of them is long enough to require a driver - as Lord T said, par 3s are about testing your iron play (or at least hybrid play) in hitting a green, IMO.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can you name the course and hole? Is there a flyover or picture that we can see on the club website?

If you don't want to name the club then don't post, don't want you to get into trouble just to please a little curiosity.

Styal. There is no fly over. Some of white tees are well back from the yellows. BUT, it is flat and currently rock hard. Incredible drainage in the place. It used to be a swamp. But is brilliant now.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Pyrford is pretty different on the tough four holes, 10-13. The seniors play all their comps off the yellow tees which is so sensible it surely has no place in modern golf :) We also have what we call Midweek Whites compared to competition whites which go back a fair way. Then we play knockout competitions off the actual white plates.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I largely agree with that, just play the holes in the fewest shots you can regardless of par. But when most courses only have around four par 3s, I think it's a waste one of them is long enough to require a driver - as Lord T said, par 3s are about testing your iron play (or at least hybrid play) in hitting a green, IMO.

Ideally you'd have at least one short and one mid par 3. But your mid iron is another mans wedge. And your driver is another mans mid to long iron.

Ours are 150, 200, 220 and 124 from the whites. Possibly the 220 yarder could be extended and made a short par 4 and it would be a great hole - but there's 1,000 things to spend money on without redesigning a hole that has been there for 100 years.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ideally you'd have at least one short and one mid par 3. But your mid iron is another mans wedge. And your driver is another mans mid to long iron.

Ours are 150, 200, 220 and 124 from the whites. Possibly the 220 yarder could be extended and made a short par 4 and it would be a great hole - but there's 1,000 things to spend money on without redesigning a hole that has been there for 100 years.
220 is probably just about ok for me. In summer you can hit a hybrid or fairway wood at that if you get a bit of roll. (Although I don't know what the bunker placement is like.) But 250 yards is excessive.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Pyrford is pretty different on the tough four holes, 10-13. The seniors play all their comps off the yellow tees which is so sensible it surely has no place in modern golf :) We also have what we call Midweek Whites compared to competition whites which go back a fair way. Then we play knockout competitions off the actual white plates.

Just seen a comp result from yesterday (there appears to be a comp on most days!!!!!!). Seniors...off yellows. No wonder!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

You are right but if par doesn't matter then why have it at all? It is a target to aim for, in stableford you get more points for it. It is easy to say ignore par, harder to do.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Bear Shouther is one if the poorest holes on the course unlike the 7th hole Wishing well. Don't see the 11th being turned into a par 4 as it would do nothing for the hole