Which Course is Worst Value For Money

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
Woburn do have reciprocals with other clubs, which can be used to access guest rates(£50 iirc).

They also have specials on from time to time(I assume when they have days that are really quiet), like this £189 for breakfast, 18 holes, 2 course lunch then another 18 holes on some days in May:-

https://www.woburngolf.co.uk/booking-information/special-may-offers/

Which I would consider a good price for food and 36 holes at that venue and I do love the courses there.

I saw that deal and was tempted by it

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have to wonder when the price increases will stop, the last couple of years I have seen almost 10% increases on a lot of those kind of courses.

Sadly for me it means some of them I will just never play, as they are to much.:cry:

I saved for two years for my trip to Carnoustie three years ago and paid £150 to play it....on my own in September almost was like millionaires golf at times. I checked the other night...£210 now and no chance of getting on. I'll wait until the sheen of The Open has rubbed off and check in two years. Meanwhile, it's Huntingdon this year. (y)(someone on here had better be right about it).;)

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In all honesty I can't remember but I suspect around £40. That was for a Saturday so I expect to pay a premium for that but it was a few years ago so £40 then felt more.

I hopefully made it clear, it is not a bad course and it is ideal for a society. It is well kept and open so you wont lose many balls, if any. I just remember it being a bit dull in comparison to others in the area (I was there as part of a long golf weekend), a long walk, the end holes are a bit uphill I seem to remember although don't shout if I am wrong there, and the prices in the bar were definitely over the top. It was not great value for the green fee and the drinks prices. If you are paying less or getting food in etc then your view will be completely different.

(sorry, just noticed you know it and like it. I suspect our differing views come down to green fee paid and bar prices. That is part of this thread in essence.)

I totally get that, the 1st time I played I didn't think much too, thought it was a run of the mill hotel course with like you say fairly expensive drinks. Played it a few times since and it's only then that my opinion has changed, really think there are some really good holes. Granted some poorer long par 4's. Saying that I wouldn't want to be paying more than £30 for a round, being a tight Yorkshire man I'm not sure it's worth much more than that.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I saved for two years for my trip to Carnoustie three years ago and paid £150 to play it....on my own in September almost was like millionaires golf at times. I checked the other night...£210 now and no chance of getting on. I'll wait until the sheen of The Open has rubbed off and check in two years. Meanwhile, it's Huntingdon this year. (y)(someone on here had better be right about it).;)

You might get a shoulder deal, but Carnoustie isn't going to be cheaper in two years, if anything the way things are going with the weak £ it might be more like £240

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
When last in Fife (summer 2017) we had a free day, so rang Kingsbarns, wanted £240 to play, so double that as I would be paying for Donna too! I just thought, no they are taking mickey! (but will have to go one day!)

Played Elie on the recommendation of someone on here, was £70 (I see it is £85 now) ... really enjoyable course. But if it wasn't on the St Andrews trail for overseas tourists, crikey, I bet it would be half of that price.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Played Elie on the recommendation of someone on here, was £70 (I see it is £85 now) ... really enjoyable course. But if it wasn't on the St Andrews trail for overseas tourists, crikey, I bet it would be half of that price.

These are the killers. Would have been £50 not long ago. I'm perfectly happy for the septics to be let loose over kingsbarns, castle Stuart et al, but these '2nd tier' tracks are becoming out of range as well.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
These are the killers. Would have been £50 not long ago. I'm perfectly happy for the septics to be let loose over kingsbarns, castle Stuart et al, but these '2nd tier' tracks are becoming out of range as well.
thats the problem, to attract the yanks the price has to be high, if its not an arm and a leg they won't go and think the courses are poor if the cost is low

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I suppose the only upside to the ever increasing standard green fees is that it makes most memberships look good value for money. I only play golf with my daughter so not worth paying much money, there are lots of good offers with the Golf Now app, plenty of nice courses around here for £10 - £25 a round.

D

Deleted member 21258

Bit like that around other areas as well. South wales near Royal Portcrawl GC they are charging a premium as they are local to RP. Just didn't end up playing at those other courses as they priced themselves out of my market.

Golf is certainly getting closer to a crossroads on pricing, be an interesting next 5-10 years.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've just noticed my own course has put their prices up again for summer, and the normal Saturday morning green fee rate is now £25! It's a council-run public course and some of the fairways are still in absolutely awful nick, I think that is scandalous. When it was pick & place we often had to discuss and agree whether we were actually on the fairway or in the rough because you couldn't see the difference. I'm just lucky I have a local residents card which knocks a fiver off. I can't believe they charge anyone 25 quid, considering how many nicer courses you can play for 20.

D

Deleted member 3432

thats the problem, to attract the yanks the price has to be high, if its not an arm and a leg they won't go and think the courses are poor if the cost is low

We seem to be getting more American visitors the last couple of years, obviously not in the numbers you see up your way.

I guess its due to a location midway between Lancashire open rota tracks and Ayrshire coast as opposed to £55 day rate which is outrageously expensive!

Club have dropped the price for members guests this season as well to £25.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We seem to be getting more American visitors the last couple of years, obviously not in the numbers you see up your way.

I guess its due to a location midway between Lancashire open rota tracks and Ayrshire coast as opposed to £55 day rate which is outrageously expensive!

Club have dropped the price for members guests this season as well to £25.

i would imagine, you get fewer Americans than up here because they would probably struggle to pronounce Silloth.

maybe any club struggling should change its name to Royal Doorknock, they would make a killing;)

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
When last in Fife (summer 2017) we had a free day, so rang Kingsbarns, wanted £240 to play, so double that as I would be paying for Donna too! I just thought, no they are taking mickey! (but will have to go one day!)

Kingsbarns isn't half as good as Trump Aberdeen and you can get tee times including bacon roll and coffee from £95. (My opinion of course. 👍)

Know where I'd choose to play every time!

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
I've just noticed my own course has put their prices up again for summer, and the normal Saturday morning green fee rate is now £25! It's a council-run public course and some of the fairways are still in absolutely awful nick, I think that is scandalous. When it was pick & place we often had to discuss and agree whether we were actually on the fairway or in the rough because you couldn't see the difference. I'm just lucky I have a local residents card which knocks a fiver off. I can't believe they charge anyone 25 quid, considering how many nicer courses you can play for 20.
£25 expensive?!?!?!?!? :eek:

That’s absolute bargain basement pricing on a full fee.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Kingsbarns isn't half as good as Trump Aberdeen and you can get tee times including bacon roll and coffee from £95. (My opinion of course. 👍)

Know where I'd choose to play every time!
right about KB, i don't get it?, CS is far better and Trump better still, at least at Castle Stuart we still get the local rate £60, but even thats gone up recently it was 50

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
£25 expensive?!?!?!?!? :eek:

That’s absolute bargain basement pricing on a full fee.
We're talking about value for money, and the state of our course has been poor for a while. They have improved the bunkers and greens now, but the fairways are still awful. And there's still no catering so you can't have a pint afterwards. Not that that really affects the green fee, but it does affect your experience of the course.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Yep - green fees of £170 with it £180 on the Friday , £140 in March - way over priced
At that price, I'd have to agree - though I used to play it on the way home from work at A LOT cheaper than that!

Would certainly agree re Stoke Park (surprisingly dull for a Harry Colt course - except for a couple of holes and 1 absolute beauty!) and Wentworth West.