Which Course is Worst Value For Money

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Any course above £40 and I’m not seeing or getting “good value”.
Granted I pay the money but there’s no value there. I don’t get anything in return.

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I played west hill last week (for free thanks to GM and adidas), I thought it was in poor condition tbh, checked the website and see it was £110 a round. If I would have paid that I would have been fuming, massively overpriced in my opinion.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
There's a few I can name as poor VFM for me, The Ridge just outside Maidstone in Kent absolutely terrible VFM when I last played it bunkers were just compact clay, the tees were like Goat pens and one the greens you'd been better of chipping than putting, green fee was £25 and it was atrocious..

But I have one that tops that High Elms near Orpington, only played it once. Couldn't tell the difference between fairway and rough, you only knew what was a tee because they had markers in the ground they were terrible and the greens had so many tyre marks on where the locals ride their motor bikes over them it was atrocious. That has to be the worst VFM I've ever had and I didn't even pay for the round as it was free playing in a match for my previous club, even the members we played against kept apolsong for the state of the place.

VFM doesn't always mean expensive in my experience I'd rather pay more for better quality. But unless you try it you never know.

When was that? Growing up it was my local course and was never that bad.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Fair play for thinking it’s worth £100 and disagreeing with me and we are all entitled to our own opinions, The for me is what the forum is about.

The putting green was in poor state when I played it in September 2017 so I didn’t quite get that excited about it.

We defo didn’t get the tour by the pro. He jut showed us where the bar was and job done.
Thanks for clarifying, only asked because assumed something wasn’t right on the day. Just goes to show the overall experience varies.

PS I did think their “no food on the outside tables” rule was a bit quirky ;)

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Most of the Links courses , Hotchkin , Hankley Common , Ganton , Alwoodley , Beau Desert , Notts , Broadstone , Ferndown , The 3W’s

List is endless

While I enjoy the links and heathland, Woburn is the destination if I am looking for a walk through the forest ;)

The 3rd on the Dukes and 7th on the Marquess are worth the green fee (for me) ;)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
one of the best things about golf was you can play the same top courses used in the Open etc, with the current situation with prices rocketing, this may just not be possible your Average golfer.

some of the clubs charging these very high prices might be in for a shock if the £ ever regains its strength against the $, or there is some terrorist attack that would keep Americans away.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
West course at Wentworth. Way overpriced and not the best course on the estate anyway

Wentworth surely not relevant in this conversation as there are no green fees - members & guests only.

Last year i was invited to play Wildernesse Club which was OK, but the £80 mid-week green fee was way overpriced.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
not going to be specific but many of the top courses are pricing locals out playing, well apart from Ireland, they still appear to do deals for local members.

i wasn't that long ago the SGU had deals with most of the courses, but with a few exceptions that is no longer the case. there are some deals to be had but what some are charging now makes many off limits to the man in the street.

ours is now £185 peak time, not so long ago it was £60:confused:

Another one who goes along with this, and Patrick's course is a good example (and only using it as an example as he mentioned it). Nairn is a great course and I loved it. Played it twice and think I paid something like £85 or £90 the last time. Well worth it and would possibly pay a bit more to play it again. But at £185, is it VFM (for VFM read "would I pay that")? No, afraid not. But on the other hand, if enough people are willing to pay it, so that a club can keep up its green fee income with fewer visitors, then presumably, that's good for a club?

I put Prestwich in this category. Paid £170 to play it - after all, it is the home of The Open. Loved it but would not pay that much again, regardless of its status.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Wentworth surely not relevant in this conversation as there are no green fees - members & guests only.

Last year i was invited to play Wildernesse Club which was OK, but the £80 mid-week green fee was way overpriced.
I take your point regarding Wentworth but there was a time not so long ago where you could pay a green fee to the West course and at that time it was so over priced for what it is

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Another one who goes along with this, and Patrick's course is a good example (and only using it as an example as he mentioned it). Nairn is a great course and I loved it. Played it twice and think I paid something like £85 or £90 the last time. Well worth it and would possibly pay a bit more to play it again. But at £185, is it VFM (for VFM read "would I pay that")? No, afraid not. But on the other hand, if enough people are willing to pay it, so that a club can keep up its green fee income with fewer visitors, then presumably, that's good for a club?

I put Prestwich in this category. Paid £170 to play it - after all, it is the home of The Open. Loved it but would not pay that much again, regardless of its status.

The main problem is most American and foreign visitors have no clue how much these courses are charging, they pay a flat fee for maybe half a dozen on their trip.

it won't be long before its over £200, which is frankly ridicules, if they build The Coul Links this is what they will be charging

D

Deleted member 21258

Thanks for clarifying, only asked because assumed something wasn’t right on the day. Just goes to show the overall experience varies.

PS I did think their “no food on the outside tables” rule was a bit quirky ;)

Been on two Mixed opens there, both times course and greens has been brilliant and the welcome second to none for a open and completely agree with you.

Bunkers also are an amazing feature of the course.

Life would be boring if we all agreed on the same things but sometimes LQ just gets it wrong(joke).:eek:;);););):ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 21258

snip

I do think some of the Top 20 courses the prices are just incredible now, I am glad we have done a lot as Forum meets and got a cracking deal.

We can thank the Americans for the overpriced green fees in the whole of the UK and Ireland.

Kingsbarns next year...…………… £312 :eek:

Have to wonder when the price increases will stop, the last couple of years I have seen almost 10% increases on a lot of those kind of courses.

Sadly for me it means some of them I will just never play, as they are to much.:cry:

D

Deleted member 17920

Been on two Mixed opens there, both times course and greens has been brilliant and the welcome second to none for a open and completely agree with you.

Bunkers also are an amazing feature of the course.

Life would be boring if we all agreed on the same things but sometimes LQ just gets it wrong(joke).:eek:;);););):ROFLMAO:
Never ;)

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Have to wonder when the price increases will stop, the last couple of years I have seen almost 10% increases on a lot of those kind of courses.

Sadly for me it means some of them I will just never play, as they are to much.:cry:

I just wouldn't entertain them period even if money was no object, one thing I have learned is that there are plenty of other gems that are tremendous value. £100 is probably my "comfortable limit" now, anything above that I need to question whether its "fair or selfish" on my wife and kids.

D

Deleted member 17920

While I enjoy the links and heathland, Woburn is the destination if I am looking for a walk through the forest ;)

The 3rd on the Dukes and 7th on the Marquess are worth the green fee (for me) ;)
Forest Pines at £20-£25 online tee time is way better value then the £180 for Woburn.

Think Woburn is great but the green fees are just :eek:

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
For me Little Aston.

Its not worth the green fee that they charge at all, I cant say I didn't dislike it but I thought I wouldn't pay that amount to play it again.

I do think some of the Top 20 courses the prices are just incredible now, I am glad we have done a lot as Forum meets and got a cracking deal.

Yup, Little Aston for me (out of all the ones I've played). Rubbish. Food rubbish too.

D

Deleted member 21258

Woburn do have reciprocals with other clubs, which can be used to access guest rates(£50 iirc).

They also have specials on from time to time(I assume when they have days that are really quiet), like this £189 for breakfast, 18 holes, 2 course lunch then another 18 holes on some days in May:-

https://www.woburngolf.co.uk/booking-information/special-may-offers/

Which I would consider a good price for food and 36 holes at that venue and I do love the courses there.