Which Course is Worst Value For Money

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
How much did you pay for the round? I really like Rudding. Playing it in a couple of weeks time on our society do.
In all honesty I can't remember but I suspect around £40. That was for a Saturday so I expect to pay a premium for that but it was a few years ago so £40 then felt more.

I hopefully made it clear, it is not a bad course and it is ideal for a society. It is well kept and open so you wont lose many balls, if any. I just remember it being a bit dull in comparison to others in the area (I was there as part of a long golf weekend), a long walk, the end holes are a bit uphill I seem to remember although don't shout if I am wrong there, and the prices in the bar were definitely over the top. It was not great value for the green fee and the drinks prices. If you are paying less or getting food in etc then your view will be completely different.

(sorry, just noticed you know it and like it. I suspect our differing views come down to green fee paid and bar prices. That is part of this thread in essence.)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
not going to be specific but many of the top courses are pricing locals out playing, well apart from Ireland, they still appear to do deals for local members.

i wasn't that long ago the SGU had deals with most of the courses, but with a few exceptions that is no longer the case. there are some deals to be had but what some are charging now makes many off limits to the man in the street.

ours is now £185 peak time, not so long ago it was £60:confused:

D

Deleted member 17920

For me Little Aston.

Its not worth the green fee that they charge at all, I cant say I didn't dislike it but I thought I wouldn't pay that amount to play it again.

I do think some of the Top 20 courses the prices are just incredible now, I am glad we have done a lot as Forum meets and got a cracking deal.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
not going to be specific but many of the top courses are pricing locals out playing, well apart from Ireland, they still appear to do deals for local members.

i wasn't that long ago the SGU had deals with most of the courses, but with a few exceptions that is no longer the case. there are some deals to be had but what some are charging now makes many off limits to the man in the street.

ours is now £185 peak time, not so long ago it was £60:confused:
I agree with this, and it makes me very sad...
I'm English, so don't qualify for SGU rates, but like to think of our Scottish links courses as a national treasure. Visitors' fees for so many of them, by harvesting cash from rich Americans (and other countries where golf is reserved for the wealthy), render themselves very poor value for normal folks.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I totally agree about costs. As far as I can see most of the people who play bigger courses in East Lothian are Americans or Scandinavians. They are very welcome but it's a real shame that people from the UK can't afford it.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
There's a few I can name as poor VFM for me, The Ridge just outside Maidstone in Kent absolutely terrible VFM when I last played it bunkers were just compact clay, the tees were like Goat pens and one the greens you'd been better of chipping than putting, green fee was £25 and it was atrocious..

But I have one that tops that High Elms near Orpington, only played it once. Couldn't tell the difference between fairway and rough, you only knew what was a tee because they had markers in the ground they were terrible and the greens had so many tyre marks on where the locals ride their motor bikes over them it was atrocious. That has to be the worst VFM I've ever had and I didn't even pay for the round as it was free playing in a match for my previous club, even the members we played against kept apolsong for the state of the place.

VFM doesn't always mean expensive in my experience I'd rather pay more for better quality. But unless you try it you never know.

They’ve done loads of work at the ridge recently as I walk my dog there whenever I’m at my caravan (it’s On a site opposite the 11th green) and it looks good.
All the greena were verticut recently, tees boxes are being sorted and diseased trees cut down.
There’s also a big extension being built for a new bar.
Another plus is that it sells curious brew lager
Agree with high elms though. Some USA friendly fire would actually improve it

D

Deleted member 15344

Woburn , Stoke Park or Wentworth - good courses but nowhere near worth the price they charge

Wolf

Visit site
They’ve done loads of work at the ridge recently as I walk my dog there whenever I’m at my caravan (it’s On a site opposite the 11th green) and it looks good.
All the greena were verticut recently, tees boxes are being sorted and diseased trees cut down.
There’s also a big extension being built for a new bar.
Another plus is that it sells curious brew lager
Agree with high elms though. Some USA friendly fire would actually improve it
That's good to hear about the Ridge as I remember going there when it was being built and they had grand plans for it, sadly after a few years they sold to a guy that had no idea what he was doing and literally ran it into the ground which is when I last played it. But I heard they'd sold it on to new investors so from what you say sounds like they're doing all they can to turn it around which can only be good as the design it's quite an interesting one if got into right condition.

R: High Elms even the yanks wouldn't bomb it..... The place is awful.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
I totally agree about costs. As far as I can see most of the people who play bigger courses in East Lothian are Americans or Scandinavians. They are very welcome but it's a real shame that people from the UK can't afford it.

I’d add in the Japanese / Chinese as well, seen loads playing St Andrews last week, all playing with caddy’s as well, buying loads from the shop as well.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
For me Little Aston.

Its not worth the green fee that they charge at all, I cant say I didn't dislike it but I thought I wouldn't pay that amount to play it again.

I do think some of the Top 20 courses the prices are just incredible now, I am glad we have done a lot as Forum meets and got a cracking deal.
Very surprised for this from the Hotchkin connesseur. We got the best welcome I ever had with a personal tour by the pro. The course was running (last summer) and the greens were fast and hard to read. Definitely worth the £100. The flower bed practice green is quite special.

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Woburn!? Wow.

For me, worse vfm would be Royal Blackheath. Over rated and massively over priced. Green fee £60 from memory. Would rather play The Ridge or High Elms for £20 and agree they are not the best!

D

Deleted member 15344

Woburn!? Wow.

For me, worse vfm would be Royal Blackheath. Over rated and massively over priced. Green fee £60 from memory. Would rather play The Ridge or High Elms for £20 and agree they are not the best!

Yep - green fees of £170 with it £180 on the Friday , £140 in March - way over priced

D

Deleted member 15344

As a bit of a fan of Woburn, what other course is better in topography and conditioning for the price? In England. ;)

Most of the Links courses , Hotchkin , Hankley Common , Ganton , Alwoodley , Beau Desert , Notts , Broadstone , Ferndown , The 3W’s

List is endless

D

Deleted member 17920

Very surprised for this from the Hotchkin connesseur. We got the best welcome I ever had with a personal tour by the pro. The course was running (last summer) and the greens were fast and hard to read. Definitely worth the £100. The flower bed practice green is quite special.
Fair play for thinking it’s worth £100 and disagreeing with me and we are all entitled to our own opinions, The for me is what the forum is about.

The putting green was in poor state when I played it in September 2017 so I didn’t quite get that excited about it.

We defo didn’t get the tour by the pro. He jut showed us where the bar was and job done.

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yep - green fees of £170 with it £180 on the Friday , £140 in March - way over priced

Agree at that price it is overpriced, but so are many of the top courses. I played it in a forum day and a work day, so paid less than £70/round and for that was more than happy. Think there are a lot worse vfm courses. Royal Ashdown Forest is another one I would throw in.

A possible controversial one, Tandridge. Played it once with work on a freebie and it was ‘o.k.’ but when I was told the green fee I was shocked. Very much hoping I was mistaken in my original assessment when we all return for H4H!