• I don't care as long as they are quiet, still and out of the way

Votes: 187 83.1%
  • I am now aware of HNSP etiquette and will be using it in the future

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Lets say SWILH asks them to stand there. Would there be anyone who had a problem if in the future, the newbie always stood there?

I couldn't give a flying monkey fart where someone stands as long as they are quiet, and a respectful distance away from my swing arc.. If my PP wants me to stand in a specific place (where possible) then that's no issue at all... Just show some respect and stop making things more complicated than they need to be... The game is complex enough...

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Lets say SWILH asks them to stand there. Would there be anyone who had a problem if in the future, the newbie always stood there?

No.
With the priviso that if those waiting to play are standing , say on the left hand side of tee, that they stay there whilst all drive off.

SILH has in the past said that he will swap his standing position for a left handed player.
Frankly if I was playing with two RH players and 2 LH players, and everyone was bobbing from one side of tee to the other like windscreen wipers, I would find that quite irritating.

Last edited:

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a couple of regular playing partners who have definite preferences- one does not like anyone holding the flag one it is removed: they insist that it is laid down.
In the interest of politeness, I will accommodate their wish, but it doesn't mean i lay the flag down when I play with other people, nor insist that others do.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I couldn't give a flying monkey fart where someone stands as long as they are quiet, and a respectful distance away from my swing arc.. If my PP wants me to stand in a specific place (where possible) then that's no issue at all... Just show some respect and stop making things more complicated than they need to be... The game is complex enough...

Point is that this isn't about you - because you know about you. It's about the player who DOES care - and maybe finds it awkward to ask folk to move. All I have ever said all along is that the 'safest' place to stand if standing close to the tee and you are unsure of what the players preference is, or don't want to be embarrassed by being asked to move - has been the HNSP. This isn't complex; this isn't difficult; it isn't mandatory; if someone is standing somewhere that is OK by me I'm not going to ask them to move to the HNSP; if it isn't going to be practical to stand at the HSNP I wouldn't myself try and stand there or expect anyone else to.

I repeat that if a newbie came to me and said they were unsure about where to stand when someone else was teeing off - I'd tell them about the HNSP - but I'd also say that if they were to stand well away from the tee ground then they'll be OK wherever.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Point is that this isn't about you - because you know about you. It's about the player who DOES care - and maybe finds it awkward to ask folk to move. All I have ever said all along is that the 'safest' place to stand if standing close to the tee and you are unsure of what the players preference is, or don't want to be embarrassed by being asked to move - has been the HNSP. This isn't complex; this isn't difficult; it isn't mandatory; if someone is standing somewhere that is OK by me I'm not going to ask them to move to the HNSP; if it isn't going to be practical to stand at the HSNP I wouldn't myself try and stand there or expect anyone else to.

I repeat that if a newbie came to me and said they were unsure about where to stand when someone else was teeing off - I'd tell them about the HNSP - but I'd also say that if they were to stand well away from the tee ground then they'll be OK wherever.

You do your thing and I'll do mine. Everyone's happy that way...:thup:

Oh, and if someone is a bit too meek to ask someone if they could possibly move during a friendly round of golf, then maybe the issue is a bit bigger than the HNSP. They either need to learn to speak up, or they need to find someone else to play with...

john0

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To save me reading right through this thread again can someone please remind me what the HNSP actually is and how it came about? Thanks

Visit site
If my playing partners expected me to keep swapping sides of the tee I would actually tell them to get lost. Pace of play needs to be thought about here, I can understand not behid looking down the line of your shot, but what difference does it make in front or behind as long as still, quiet and not close enough to hinder. People need to get a grip and get on with it.

Oh and if my playing partner wanted the flag laying on the floor everytime and picking up, he would be doing it himself.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site

Ah, well this is new.

So the place that I frequently stand (at someone's back but not close) was ok all along?
I walk from green to tee and stand at the side of the tee closest to me (and the path)
I call this the BOSP.
Blatantly Obvious Standing Position
Walking round to the "wrong" side of the tee has always seemed time wasting and daft to me, and I will continue to do as I have always done as it seems it was ok all along.

Might as well shut the thread

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
If I was playing with a "Newbie " and they asked where should I stand whilst you tee off , I'd reply thus.

"I'd like you to stand in a position where you can keep an eye on my ball flight please ,so if I don't see it you'll be able to tell me where it has gone." For a right handed player this postilion would be the NHSP as the ball can be followed with uninterrupted vision ( until it disappeared into the trees ;))and no distractions from the teeing off players swing.
PP's not watching / losing sight where your ball has gone is definitely one of the causes of slow play.
I would also explain that it's not always possible to be in that position so to stand well out of the way, out of my eyeline, I'd also explain that it's not necessary to swap for left handed players

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
If I was playing with a "Newbie " and they asked where should I stand whilst you tee off , I'd reply thus.

"I'd like you to stand in a position where you can keep an eye on my ball flight please ,so if I don't see it you'll be able to tell me where it has gone." For a right handed player this postilion would be the NHSP as the ball can be followed with uninterrupted vision ( until it disappeared into the trees ;))and no distractions from the teeing off players swing.
PP's not watching / losing sight where your ball has gone is definitely one of the causes of slow play.
I would also explain that it's not always possible to be in that position so to stand well out of the way, out of my eyeline, I'd also explain that it's not necessary to swap for left handed players

I'll sometimes stand on the "other" side if it aids watching the ball.

This time of year when the sun is low there can be a preferred side which reduces looking into the glare

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
He did not 'invent it' as it was standard practice for golfers playing up until the 1960's [after that golf became more popular for commoners]

Bored again? If you are so disinterested that all you can do is try to wind people up then why don't you find a group more suited to your illusory superiority? :D