• I don't care as long as they are quiet, still and out of the way

Votes: 187 83.1%
  • I am now aware of HNSP etiquette and will be using it in the future

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I should not really contribute to this thread as I have retired from playing golf [too slow for me now] and taken up bowls.

I was surprised to notice that the HNSP seems to be the same as golf used to be.
More closely observed by the senior players.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I should not really contribute to this thread as I have retired from playing golf [too slow for me now] and taken up bowls.

I was surprised to notice that the HNSP seems to be the same as golf used to be.
More closely observed by the senior players.

"Somewhere In front of you"

Doesn't that mean that they'd be standing in line with the jack? ;)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I will still ask folk to move if I don't like where they are standing - and still myself try to stand at the HNSP. If I am playing with a newbies I let them know about the HNSP

If I stand where I normally stand, and someone told me to stand somewhere different, I probably wouldn't stand for it! :rofl:

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I really couldn't give a toss where people stand. I'm concentrating on my shot not them, unless they are rattling tees in their pocket or bouncing a ball on their club face then I get annoyed as that is just bad manners.

what do people do at courses where the first tee is against the car park or clubhouse? Do you go into the clubhouse and ask everyone who is sat on the wrong side of you to move while you play your shot? Do you get the car park shut down so nobody gets out of a car on the wrong side of you?

D

Deleted member 15344

I will still ask folk to move if I don't like where they are standing - and still myself try to stand at the HNSP. If I am playing with a newbies I let them know about the HNSP

And i would hope they would have the common sense to ignore such advise and realise that every single person who plays golf is different

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I really couldn't give a toss where people stand. I'm concentrating on my shot not them, unless they are rattling tees in their pocket or bouncing a ball on their club face then I get annoyed as that is just bad manners.

But some players do - I am sure that out of respect for any player about to play you stand as unobtrusively out of the way as possible and if asked by the player to move you do so unquestioningly and without hesitation.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
And i would hope they would have the common sense to ignore such advise and realise that every single person who plays golf is different

You would encourage new players to ignore advice offered on etiquette that is offered with the best interests of the newbie in mind - so that the newbie might avoid finding himself in slightly awkward and embarrassing situations in future and not knowing what do do? Excellent! It's not what the non-playing player feels or wants, it is about the best interests and wishes of the player about to play that is important surely.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

You would encourage new players to ignore advice offered on etiquette that is offered with the best interests of the newbie in mind - so that the newbie might avoid finding himself in slightly awkward and embarrassing situations in future and not knowing what do do? Excellent! It's not what the non-playing player feels or wants, it is about the best interests and wishes of the player about to play that is important surely.

I would ensure newbies realise that different people have different ways on the tee and that there is no defined place were to stand and that whilst playin they will learn where the best place is too stand - I would hope anyone with any amount of common sense would ignore someone when they are told that there is a place they must always stand and its historic yet not written down anywhere and only appears to be the figment of one person's imagination

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site

At the risk of rehashing an old thread, discussion on this topic has made it clear that the majority of club players do not recognise this HNSP. So you are "educating" these newbies on what you want.
See my earlier post about Oor Wullie

I find it strange how many courses I play which have tees designed that this "HNSP" would be in a bush if the player on the tee was right handed (as the majority of golfers are)

I have never been made to feel awkward or embarrassed because of where I am standing.
I reserve that for after I play my own tee shot!

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
As a newbie if someone where to tell you where you should stand, but be unable to substantiate their opinion, then what is the newbie supposed to think? Probably just some fuddy duddy spouting off? Or should he just listen to everyone that decides to quote etiquette, or spirit of the game, or commonly held belief, as to what he should do?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Ach - I can't be bothered.

But if someone is standing too close to me behind my back (and the distance can vary depending upon how I feel) or at the back of the tee looking directly down the line of my shot, then I'll most likely ask them to move. Don't honestly care where they then move to.

My view was simply that, if practical, the HNSP was, and still is, a place you can stand and pretty much guarantee to not be asked to move by the player on the tee. That's all.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
As a newbie if someone where to tell you where you should stand, but be unable to substantiate their opinion, then what is the newbie supposed to think? Probably just some fuddy duddy spouting off? Or should he just listen to everyone that decides to quote etiquette, or spirit of the game, or commonly held belief, as to what he should do?

Trouble is, as a newbie- I listened and believed everything I was told by anyone who had been playing longer than me.
that's how golfing myths get perpetuated