• I don't care as long as they are quiet, still and out of the way

Votes: 187 83.1%
  • I am now aware of HNSP etiquette and will be using it in the future

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
IS this really still going on? Who bloody cares where someone stands as long as they are quite and not trying to put me off. They can stand to me on left of they want to at the 9 o'clock position, as long as they realise there will be a ball coming at them doing about 150MPH....lol

The only etiquette I was ever taught regarding where to stand is anywhere as long as it does not interfere with someone. What was good in the old days is not so today. Etiquette is not a hard written set of rules but something we abide by to show good manners and sportsmanship.

The rules of ettiquette in golf to me is a living thing that changes with the times, what may have been the norm in the old days may not be now. Golf has changed a lot over the last 20 years or so as it has become a game that is accessible by the masses not just just the privileged few. Gone are the days of the old school golfer that normally tended to be people like bank managers and doctors to a game that is played by the working class man. Because of the wide variety of people that play golf now, the rules of etiquette has changed with that.

the smiling assassin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
so to conclude, it is best to adopt either the 120* or the 240* position (as below), as either will be acceptable when playing with either a lefty or a righty.

some times you just have to draw it to see it...

golf plan 3.jpg

Last edited:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
IS this really still going on? Who bloody cares where someone stands as long as they are quite and not trying to put me off. They can stand to me on left of they want to at the 9 o'clock position, as long as they realise there will be a ball coming at them doing about 150MPH....lol

The only etiquette I was ever taught regarding where to stand is anywhere as long as it does not interfere with someone. What was good in the old days is not so today. Etiquette is not a hard written set of rules but something we abide by to show good manners and sportsmanship.

The rules of ettiquette in golf to me is a living thing that changes with the times, what may have been the norm in the old days may not be now. Golf has changed a lot over the last 20 years or so as it has become a game that is accessible by the masses not just just the privileged few. Gone are the days of the old school golfer that normally tended to be people like bank managers and doctors to a game that is played by the working class man. Because of the wide variety of people that play golf now, the rules of etiquette has changed with that.

OI Pal..... you missed out the Artisans.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Was in my local Oxfam Bookshop earlier today - they had Know the Game - Golf (1st Edn. 1950) for sale. Had quick look under section Etiquette. Damn - no mention of HNSP. Clearly I know nuuuuthing! :)

Anyway - was just a summary of what was in the Rule Book back then so what did I expect. £2.99 though - might buy it as a wee keepsake in remembrance of this discussion.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sorry - not my intention at all.

I agree in part but it is simply your (and I admit many others) assertion that it is no longer required - clearly nobody had told me or DfT - and that is actually the general point I am making

I agree in part - for instance it is no longer deemed necessary and good etiquette to wear a red jacket on the golf course to warn the public that there are golfers about - because most golf is not played on common land etc.

But just because golfers attitudes towards something change in one place that can't just mean that the change applies everywhere. Very different when we are talking about equipment as these changes and their impact on etiquette will be realised everywhere golf is played. But personal attitudes and preferences are just these - even if they are shared in a group or locally. That doesn't make them globally known about never mind accepted. And please note that the things I am specifically talking about are things around aspects of the game that have not changed (like teeing off). Because the context of the etiquette has not changed many may not agree with you about any need to change the etiquette - despite what one (possibly very large) constituency of golfers might think.

I agree - but this change needs to be agreed across and throughout the game and communicated - otherwise you risk confusion and upset.

All I can say on this is the DfTs HNSP came about for good reasons - and the reasons for it haven't really changed as far as I can see. So I disagree that it's pointless crap - it costs almost nothing in time and effort to do - if you can be bothered.

So we disagree.

You talk for yourself, I'll have you know we DO still have to wear red whilst playing, to distinguish ourselves from the walkers/runners etc