Where do you play

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The East Renfrewshire Golf Club - Another James Braid course. I've been a member there for about 17 years.
I played a few courses when I moved to Scotland to decide where I would like to join. The rain was coming sideways when I played East Ren for the first time, and I still enjoyed it enough to want to join. I've never regretted that decision.
My first club and one that I have very fond memories of from late 70s and early 80s 👍

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
You mean what we're seeing here is the scene of the (in)famous HNSP tutorials? :giggle:
Nah…I got such as HNSP firmly pointed out to me early 70s by older guys (well I was only 12/13 yr old so everyone was older) who played Deaconsbank Muni, on Glasgow southside 👍

Was nice and simple back then, still looks nice…

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Nah…I got such as HNSP firmly pointed out to me early 70s by older guys (well I was only 12/13 yr old so everyone was older) who played Deaconsbank Muni, on Glasgow southside 👍

Had never heard of that one, just googled it. Looks nice

Reading the history I see it opened 25th Aug 1922 & the blurb says "construction of the golf course was delayed due to the First World War 20 July 1914 to 11 November 1918"
It goes on to say... “a 12yr old SILH was in the 3rd group out on opening day but was hauled off for intensive HNSP training after 2 holes due to the unfathomable position the youngster adopted on the tee box”

History in the making eh (y)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Royal Ascot Golf Club

Some attended one of the early forum meets there. I may get a price for next season and arrange another one as it has definitely matured and we are in the process of re-doing and improving some of the bunkering

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I believe that legend is repeated by quite a number of Mackenzie courses 😄 . One of them is correct of course, or maybe a few are as he built and refined courses along the way 🤷‍♀️

They do say something similar at Worcester Golf and Country Club....

I will say though - Augusta was his last course, so of course he will look back at other holes he loved post-design and reuse ideas.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Not a member, but my nearest course where I play the odd game. Mojacar Marina GC. At €345 a month for a very average course, not untypical locally, I play the odd society game.

The view from the 4th tee. A well struck tee shot could leave you an 8 iron into the green but it’s safer played with a 6 iron off the tee, hybrid to the 2nd corner then a wedge onto the green and 2 putts for a par.

1694178597672.jpeg

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site

I have googled to no avail. What the hell does HNSP stand for. I'm assuming it's not Hogan Not Standing Properly! 🤣

Visit site
My favourite place in the whole world (and in my opinion, by some distance the most underrated course I’ve played out of any Top 100 venue)

(A few pics shamelessly stolen from fellow Hindhead member & forum member Joss, as he takes far better pictures than I do!)

IMG-2842.jpg

IMG-2840.jpg

IMG-2841.jpg

Sudbury Golf Club in West London. Harry Colt course. I should say upfront I think the website is terrible!

Did you know a chap called Chris from Sunderland? He left about 7 years ago

Last edited:

peld

Visit site
Dalmahoy (see my signature). James Braid again.

Two courses and well designed, both offer different challenges. Usually decent condition but could be so much better with more maintenance