When you lose all confidence in a club, what do YOU do?

How do ydeal with a loss of confidence in a club

• Buy new equipment

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Play through it

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Lessons and practice

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • I don't lose confidence in the equipment - It's always me

Votes: 16 34.8%

• Total voters

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
its never the arrows its always the Indian.

But... if you are like most on this forum, just go and buy a new one, that will be much better... untill the next time;)

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
2 or 3 years ago I lost all confidence with virtually every aspect of my golf. I went for over 50 holes without even managing a par and was ready to jack it all in. Decided to have a couple of lessons and there was a dramatic improvement in my game and within weeks I had won a board comp. The old bad habits still tend to creep back into my game so the occasional lesson is still needed.

HickoryShaft

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I needed the option 'sulk about it for a few shots then try again and if it still isn't working dont play that shot for a few rounds then try again and see if its any better'

In truth if you are not hitting a particular club well on a round then best to stay away from it and get down the range or a lesson to understand why. Loads of pros quoted over the years that this is what they do - as a (rank) amateur I dont expect to be any better than that.

...... Just realised that its a bit harder to do with the putter though - lol:D

Always have a new model waiting in the wings as a frightener in case the current one goes astray ( yes I am still talking golf clubs!)

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I lost confidence with myself more than the clubs, I know i can hit them as I have done so in the past so I normally just work through it.

Lessons do help and once I hit the ball right again I am buzzing! My current driver is a prime example of this, I know I can hit this well and went through a stage of hooking ! so asked for a little bit of help and its back on track again ( apart form a slight draw).

Fish

Banned
Visit site
If your clubs have worked before in the past then its not them and whilst buying some new gear may give you a feel good factor and you may even hit them better at first, it doesn't mean that whatever the problem is currently, won't return!

Lessons to identify the problem/s and then practice or all your doing is spending unnecessarily with no future assurances, unless you have deep pockets and can afford the feel good factor every time something breaks down!

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
buy a cheap and nasty blade putter and practice with it then use the scotty out on the course. You will fall in love all over again.
Unless you do what I did and bought a 20 quid (was 49.99...that is important!! :D) Founders club putter just to try then go out on Saturday and have 22 putts in 18 holes, it was like they were on string. So much so that I have just sold my 2 ball as I hate indecision.

I suppose this happens to us all from time to time, but how do you deal with it.

Over the last 6-8 months, I've had a love/hate relationship with my Scotty Cameron putter.

I was fitted for this putter in 2012 and for the best part of 2 years it's served me very well, although recently I'm having a crisis of confidence with it.

Putting has always been one of the strong points of my game, but over the time frame in paragraph two, it's deteriorated to a point where I was missing the simple 1ft-2ft'ers that were the difference between bogey and par.

I tried everything, I even read a book (Dave Pelz Putting Bible), which is very unlike me, but did give me something to work with. In the end I decided to bite the bullet and decided pay a visit to my pro.

He was, to my surprise, actually quite complimentary about my stroke. He suggested, and I implemented, a few set up changes that would improve my consistency. Played with the changes for the fist time 10 days ago.

He was right. My putting was a hell of a lot more consistent, but the putts still weren't dropping :( . During that round, every putt I hit literally trickled by the edge of hole, or lipped out :angry:

This was better as before my lesson, where I was missing the hole by quite a bit.

Played last Saturday and, again, putting was much improved again. Pace and line were again better and the odd ball started to drop. Even when lagging I was never more than a few feet away.

Although the putting is better, my confidence is still fragile, but no doubt that will improve over time if I keep and practice the changes that were suggested.

How do you deal with a loss of confidence in a particular club?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'll get a lesson. There again you knew that! It may be one of my old habits resurfacing or anew one manifesting itself so I'll check that out and just work on my game at the range or practice ground.

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'll get a lesson. There again you knew that! It may be one of my old habits resurfacing or anew one manifesting itself so I'll check that out and just work on my game at the range or practice ground.

I thought you moaned about it for months, went on a protracted fitting odyssey, and then bought new clubs at great expense.

Or was that a different homerjsimpson?

Perhaps your "get a lesson" key is stuck down.