When will it end?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Don't bother liking.
Here in Florida we have just had a thunderstorm with rain so heavy that it makes recent UK deluges look like mere drizzle

But it soaks through and disappears in about an hour.

You are reminding me of a couple of lines from one of my favourite songs... Now, most of the people who retire in Florida are wrinkled and they lean on a crutch!

Chisteve

Head Pro
Visit site
Not played since early jan in the rain on my local course

Been to the range at lunch times, but struggling with the rain

More rain on its way

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I've just had a message from all the families displaced by the floods in Somerset whose homes have been ruined, and they send their sympathies to a bunch of golfers who are on temps. They say stay strong, they are thinking of you.

Last edited:

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've just had a message from all the families displaced by the floods in Somerset whose homes have been ruined, and they send their sympathies to a bunch of golfers who are on temps. They say stay strong, they are thinking of you.

I've had a message from the hundreds of thousands affected by Hurrican Katrina, and the Asian Tsunami , few years ago. They send their sympathies to the people of Somerset who have only lost their homes and some possessions. They say keep strong, they are thinking of you.

Just because one part of the country is going through hell, doesn't mean that the other parts can't be unhappy, for whatever reason.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Would now be a good time to ask all those who hate Links Golf, but can't get on their soggy courses with loads of temporary greens, whether they still feel the same way?:whistle:

How's your course holding up guest100718? Worth considering a trip to the seaside?:rolleyes:

Links golf you say RND 1, 2 and 18 looking back to the club house. Mind you, it's sea water.
image.jpg

Hacker Khan

Visit site
I've had a message from the hundreds of thousands affected by Hurrican Katrina, and the Asian Tsunami , few years ago. They send their sympathies to the people of Somerset who have only lost their homes and some possessions. They say keep strong, they are thinking of you.

I'll be sure to pass your message back to those in Somerset, I am sure they will understand. And I will tell them that it is all relative...

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'll be sure to pass your message back to those in Somerset, I am sure they will understand. And I will tell them that it is all relative...

While I appreciate the sentiment, I can guarantee that for every gripe you have in life, there will be someone worse off, but that doesn't stop you being unhappy or moaning about your situation.

Can you honestly say that you have never once complained about anything because you appreciate that someone somewhere is worse off?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Looked at the forecast for Saturday and decided not to bother going to Epsom to play. Heavy rain showers and 25-30mph winds just make an hours drive and a green fee seem a waste of time. Lie in, maybe the range and watch the sport on the TV instead. Not sure the 9 holes we have open at my club will be after the deluge forecast Friday night into Saturday morning

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Looked at the forecast for Saturday and decided not to bother going to Epsom to play. Heavy rain showers and 25-30mph winds just make an hours drive and a green fee seem a waste of time. Lie in, maybe the range and watch the sport on the TV instead. Not sure the 9 holes we have open at my club will be after the deluge forecast Friday night into Saturday morning

I'm actually amazed the front nine is back open today but unless the storm has a rapid change of direction in the next day, I can't see it being open on Saturday or Sunday. Short game practice for me if I can find a break in the weather and the practice green is open.

golfsaint

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Ive played one, very wet, round since the start of December. This weekend already looks a wash out. My course is already on 18 temps, and is ankle deep in places. None of the other local courses are fareing any better. Starting to wonder if I'm ever going to get out and play again:(

Get yourself along to South Winch !! all fine there:D

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Closed and it's raining...

Again.....

Not due to stop for the next 24 hours....

Looks like I might actually have to work tomorrow....

And most of next week too....I can't see the course being open before Mon/Tues..

Hacker Khan

Visit site
While I appreciate the sentiment, I can guarantee that for every gripe you have in life, there will be someone worse off, but that doesn't stop you being unhappy or moaning about your situation.

Can you honestly say that you have never once complained about anything because you appreciate that someone somewhere is worse off?

No and I totally agree with you. I just feel that we are talking about the consequences from the same weather events here, and the hardship suffered by someone who has to play on temps/muddy golf course is not really worth commenting on when other people are suffering a lot more at this present time. The wooly liberal that I am.

I will stand by my admittedly flippant/sarcastic comments aimed at golfers who can't play golf, but I am not overly comfortable with flippant remarks aimed at people who have lost their homes and businesses and are suffering at we speak, even if it was said to try and make a point.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
No and I totally agree with you. I just feel that we are talking about the consequences from the same weather events here, and the hardship suffered by someone who has to play on temps/muddy golf course is not really worth commenting on when other people are suffering a lot more at this present time. The wooly liberal that I am.

I will stand by my admittedly flippant/sarcastic comments aimed at golfers who can't play golf, but I am not overly comfortable with flippant remarks aimed at people who have lost their homes and businesses and are suffering at we speak, even if it was said to try and make a point.

But then where do you stop. A lot of people moan about slow play yet there are people out there who, for various reasons such as injury, can't play golf at all. Should we stop complaining about slow play because of those people?

A forum such as this is there to allow people such as us to discuss golf. Just about everything we write isn't important in the scheme of things and if you thought about every post, you could think of someone worse off so we might as well stop posting altogether.

What the people of Somerset are going through is of course of far greater importance than the fact we can't play golf, but that doesn't mean we can't discuss the weather and how it affects us in relation to golf.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Links golf you say RND 1, 2 and 18 looking back to the club house. Mind you, it's sea water.
View attachment 9039

Yikes! That's really bad! I wouldn't think there's many in Devon even considering golfing this week though - or travelling by train around the coast!

Dunbar got severely damaged by storms a few years ago too - think it's recovered now though - so there's always that risk.

I was meaning the, common enough, situations at this time of year, where it would be pleasant to play golf, but the (parkland) course is simply too waterlogged to be able to! Links courses (flooding obviously notwithstanding) are much more likely to be available to play. In some ways, it's better to have the Scandanavian/Canadian sort of case - once the first snow comes, that's the end of Golf until it thaws!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
And down Surrey heathland way - it sounds like locally we are not alone in struggling with the rain. Hindhead, Hankley Common, The Army - possibly also Guildford - all closed. Camberley Heath was open yesterday but all temps and virtually unplayable due to conditions underfoot A little observation - is CH the only one of these clubs mentioned that isnt a members club?

Liqdaddymac

Head Pro
Visit site
Played 9 this morning at my club on full greens and course in superb condition :D was supposed to play in a comp at another course but it had 8 temps and was no longer a qualifier so rang up and dropped out.

wookie

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
And down Surrey heathland way - it sounds like locally we are not alone in struggling with the rain. Hindhead, Hankley Common, The Army - possibly also Guildford - all closed. Camberley Heath was open yesterday but all temps and virtually unplayable due to conditions underfoot A little observation - is CH the only one of these clubs mentioned that isnt a members club?

We're open today with carry only but I can't see that being the case tomorrow after this lot. Just hope it dries a bit for the weekend.

I'm surprised Hankley is shut as that drains very well. I played there a while back and apart from the greens being a bit softer than usual (but still firmer than most are normally) you wouldn't have known it had been torrential the previous few days.