When will it end?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Epsom open apparently and my friend who is new to golf is desperate to play so looks like Sunday is a better day and off to play there. No temps and full course and he's going to take my G25's off me. Happy days

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Epsom open apparently and my friend who is new to golf is desperate to play so looks like Sunday is a better day and off to play there. No temps and full course and he's going to take my G25's off me. Happy days

Similar sort of height & Arm length as you?

+1/2" & +2* (Green Dot?) Ok for him?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We're open today with carry only but I can't see that being the case tomorrow after this lot. Just hope it dries a bit for the weekend.

I'm surprised Hankley is shut as that drains very well. I played there a while back and apart from the greens being a bit softer than usual (but still firmer than most are normally) you wouldn't have known it had been torrential the previous few days.

Oops - sorry bud - got the info from our pro. maybe he not fully up-to-date. You can be open one day then next your shut- it's like that.

Our fairways drain away quickly on the surface - a brief respite from the rain and the fairways are fine - but the water isn't far beneath the surface - I guess all of our clubs hereabouts are similar in that. Our greens are fine - no significant issues at all. Had 'Shelton banding' drainage done a few years back on all greens and that has made a noticeable difference in speed of drainage - they still flood - just clear quickly. Pity they are islands of dry in a sea of very wet fairway.

D

Deleted member 18588

Decided it is better to take a complete break (apart from the range) as at least then I can't be disappointed by soggy wet conditions.

Try again beginning of next month when we return from holiday in Sri Lanka, not golfing but should hopefully see some sunshine.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Similar sort of height & Arm length as you?

+1/2" & +2* (Green Dot?) Ok for him?

Similar height if not an inch taller and to be honest he's only been playing a few months with a cheap starter set. The club pro has already said he'll flatten them a tad if necessary and I can't see it being that much of an issue until he really progresses. At that point he can move them on himself and still make a profit

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Course is open at the moment and I am down to play on both days this weekend, friendly knock on Saturday and a comp on Sunday. Weather forecast, however, is not looking that great with the winds getting up again on Sunday. Will just have to play it by ear.

Going a bit loopy now, not played for nearly 5 weeks now and there is only so much Battlefield 4 you can play to keep you occupied.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Similar height if not an inch taller and to be honest he's only been playing a few months with a cheap starter set. The club pro has already said he'll flatten them a tad if necessary and I can't see it being that much of an issue until he really progresses. At that point he can move them on himself and still make a profit

Happiness all round then!

Now, do the same with the TPs and commit to the I<whatevers> (or indeed 'whatever'!)!:whistle:

Last edited:

Jacko

Visit site
Have played whenever we are open, (Chilworth) mainly the back 9 as it drains quite well.

Having played up here for the last 5 years, there's usually the odd few days where the course is closed, but this has been pretty constant since christmas. A couple of temporary greens, for the first time I can remember, as well. All this, after a huge effort last year by the groundsmen to improve drainage on the worst draining holes.

On the plus side, the extra time spent on the range appears to be working of the few times I've got out.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
And down Surrey heathland way - it sounds like locally we are not alone in struggling with the rain. Hindhead, Hankley Common, The Army - possibly also Guildford - all closed. Camberley Heath was open yesterday but all temps and virtually unplayable due to conditions underfoot A little observation - is CH the only one of these clubs mentioned that isnt a members club?

Certain Hampshire heathland courses not too far from Farnham are open, proper greens, trolley's, although only single seater buggies.:whistle:

We spent a lot on drainage a few years back, and now nearly all our holes have drainage ditches. The course is relatively flat which I am not sure if helps or hinders drainage. A lot of our greens are raised though which definitely helps. That Harry Colt knew a thing or two about course design.:thup:

I know we concentrate any spare monies on the course, over the clubhouse.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Certain Hampshire heathland courses not too far from Farnham are open, proper greens, trolley's, although only single seater buggies.:whistle:

We spent a lot on drainage a few years back, and now nearly all our holes have drainage ditches. The course is relatively flat which I am not sure if helps or hinders drainage. A lot of our greens are raised though which definitely helps. That Harry Colt knew a thing or two about course design.:thup:

I know we concentrate any spare monies on the course, over the clubhouse.

Big problem that we have is run-off from neighbouring fields and woods higher up the 'hills' from us - principally onto our 16th - water has then got a fairly level course all the way across the course and once saturated it has no-where to go and floods back across 18th, 17th, 16th, 15th and 14th. When the fields are left 'fallow' the run-off is minimal - but this year the farmer has them fully cultivated and in some places has sheeting down on the ground (to keep weed growth down I guess) so huge run-off and his 'capture ponds' are full and overflowing.

Also we have new spring line appeared across our 1st and 2nd.

Other than that...

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
That Harry Colt knew a thing or two about course design.:thup:

And the 'old style' (pre watering systems) method of building, 'draining' and maintaining greens (reservoir under the green) still works well for Heathland courses - though not so well for Clay based ones!

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Our place is sand based so generally drains pretty well, but even we are now seeing a lot of surface water. That said, the course is fully open and the management are still allowing buggies out. Madness, but such is life at a proprietorship club.

The only downside of being the best draining course for miles is that members are struggling to book tee times as we are being overrun by visitors!

D

Deleted member 15344

naughty piccy removed at Op request

Luckily before we saw it :)

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 15344

Mods can you remove my pic please - been a long day :thup: