When will it end?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Beautiful sunny day and if the path from our 6th wasn't flooded I think we'd have more than the Par 3 open. As it was it was just a delight to be out without a jacket and the sun on my back! Our trolley ban is paying dividends as every course I've played which allows trolleys with so called winter wheels has looked a right old mess.

Will stop checking for late deals to the sun - for now...

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Only 9 holes open. Ground very wet. But should we even have these open or should we give the course at least a week to start drying out - or at least start to drain - before we really start playing even the 9 holes. Just a bit concerned that as soon as we get traffic on still wet ground over only a limited track damage is going to be done.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I suspect my club was but some how I have acquired a busy social schedule :( my week days are now fully occupied as well ... Roll on summer evenings !

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
You have just bought my youth flooding back to me then.

ha ha

I used to go to Culzean every weekend as a young un. Not thought about it in years, until i read this.

I can beat that, I had my BBQ out on the 2nd Feb grilling an nice lump of brisket and another of pork for my man versus food superbowl feast.

My course is open after a few days of being closed all bar the 17th which is one of the lowest points on the course and is closed, but it's open on the other 17 but carry bags only.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Would you want to get on the course even if you're playing risks damage to the course from which the course could take months to recover from. I am concerned with my place that it will be overplayed as soon as it is open - and that pressure on the greenkeeper and club manager means that it is opened sooner than they would want.

Would it not be best once this weather abates just to give the course say a week or so closed so that the course can dry out and greens staff can work on it - so that for instance there is some resistance in the turf to huge divots being taken (as will happen until a good few inches down are fairly dry) - and some resistance to trolleys and footfall on heavily used routes around the course.

We've basically been without golf for coming on two months - another week won't do me any harm - playing the course now certainly could harm the course.

I recognise the need to get members putting money across the bar and into the kitchen's but...the club is basically the course.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Would you want to get on the course even if you're playing risks damage to the course from which the course could take months to recover from. I am concerned with my place that it will be overplayed as soon as it is open - and that pressure on the greenkeeper and club manager means that it is opened sooner than they would want.

Would it not be best once this weather abates just to give the course say a week or so closed so that the course can dry out and greens staff can work on it - so that for instance there is some resistance in the turf to huge divots being taken (as will happen until a good few inches down are fairly dry) - and some resistance to trolleys and footfall on heavily used routes around the course.

We've basically been without golf for coming on two months - another week won't do me any harm - playing the course now certainly could harm the course.

I recognise the need to get members putting money across the bar and into the kitchen's but...the club is basically the course.

Hits the nail right on the head, I'd rather have the course closed until it is a lot drier and in better condition, than have the membership that want to play, trudge around hacking lumps out of a sodden course. Okay for the most part it winter tees and green, but the footfall still follow the same path between holes and that then becomes a muddy mess, which subsequently just becomes wider and wider muddy mess as people try to avoid the muddy mess.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Hits the nail right on the head, I'd rather have the course closed until it is a lot drier and in better condition, than have the membership that want to play, trudge around hacking lumps out of a sodden course. Okay for the most part it winter tees and green, but the footfall still follow the same path between holes and that then becomes a muddy mess, which subsequently just becomes wider and wider muddy mess as people try to avoid the muddy mess.

..and the truth is that our dear seniors and those able to play during the week will be up and running with a gleeful fervour as soon as the opportunity presents itself. And I fear that that will be regardless and it will be frequent. I'd rather course was closed for a week and then play was restricted in some way until March.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site

It really is a dilemma for a lot of clubs.
Clubs are employing other staff as well,if a club is shut for weeks on end these people might have
to look for other jobs.
These jobs then need filling which cost money,adverts re-training etc.
Courses will always recover,some will take longer than others,however some
clubs are desperate for income.
Must be a horrible situation for some.
No difference to any other business,any business with no business will suffer some way
or another.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
...and so today 10 holes open. It rained overnight quite heavily and is raining (pouring) at this very moment :(

I was told that the Surrey water table is 25metres above it's summer level and only 0.75m below ground level. In fact you can see this effect in a disused quarry near us. From the road you normally have to peer over to see the surface of the water - at the moment you don't - the water level in the quarry must be 30ft (and the rest) above it's normal level.

Last edited:

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm like a kid at Christmas this morning, the course has been fully open all week and the weather forecast looks good. Just got to get work out of the way today and it's the weekend. Could it be that I am going to play 18 holes for the first time this year tomorrow? Could it?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Sunny and a wee bit of decent warmth in the air. We had 16 holes open yesterday - so getting there. I was told that we are in general pretty firm and dry underfoot most places. Which is what we'd expect. Course drains quickly unless the water table is at ground level.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Sunny and a wee bit of decent warmth in the air. We had 16 holes open yesterday - so getting there. I was told that we are in general pretty firm and dry underfoot most places. Which is what we'd expect. Course drains quickly unless the water table is at ground level.

Fully open for the last 7 days for us, we even started allowing trollies with hedgehogs at the weekend. The course is playing great and apart from a couple of parts down the side of the 12th and 18th, it's firm underfoot and not at all boggy. Unbelievable considering the amount of rain.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Fully open for the last 7 days for us, we even started allowing trollies with hedgehogs at the weekend. The course is playing great and apart from a couple of parts down the side of the 12th and 18th, it's firm underfoot and not at all boggy. Unbelievable considering the amount of rain.

Our problem on two holes is a result of the volume of water being channelled from the adjoining fields onto the course As the farmer's 'flood prevention ponds' and our own huge flood prevention pond' are full and the water table is so high there is nowhere for water to go and we seem to get a bit of flooding. But if we can get a few days with little rain then we'll be OK pretty soon.