When visiting other clubs, are you generally made to feel welcome?

SirSliceAlot

Club Champion
Visit site
Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the welcome you generaly get from the club shop pro(s) and club members themselves when you play courses other than your own as a paying visitor?
I have to say my experiences over the last 2-3 years or so of playing in and around the Leicestershire area are very mixed. I am not a member of a club myself but my regular playing partners (my bro who is off 9, dad off 11 and a mate off 16) have been in the past, and I find that more clubs than not don't really convey a particulary warm reception to visitors.
My reasons for saying this are that a hell of a lot of club pros in particular seem to have this superiority complex and attitude problem, and as a visitor you can sometimes be made to feel like you should not even be playing there! I know clubs get their fair share of visiting hackers, thrashers and idiots but we tend to play at 'better' courses where I assume this isn't such a problem. Also certain members, particulary senior ones, can make you feel very uncomfortable by giving you filthy looks and uncalled for patronising lectures etc.
Obviously this is a very general observation and some clubs are great at welcoming visitors but it is a shame when we are always courteous and respectful wherever we play, and possibly looking to join somewhere next year.
Sorry for the rant, your thoughts?

(Not posted for some time on here unfortunately, not that any of you probably remember or care!)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
once in 35 years, and that was recently as a member of a visiting club team when it became apparent that some members didn't feel that anyone else should be using that tee at that time on that day...

however, it was clear that these individuals had that view with respect to their own members as well as anyone else - so, in the context of your post, I don't think this counts either.

as to Pro's - one, but again he has a reputation for attitude and treats pretty much everyone the same (apparently). Other than that it's hasn't mattered where in the country I have been playing, or the type of club.

jjames

Medal Winner
Visit site
Don't really notice the welcome to be honest. Usually rush into the pro-shop to grab some goodies for the round and a scorecard before heading to practice green and after the round don't normally stay that long away from home. Have played at a couple of members only courses in the past where you do feel you are being constantly monitored and watched when in view.

Fader

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think it really does depend on the club that you visit and those in charge of whatever comp your playing in or the general staff being welcoming on away days.

Had both good and bad experiences, fortunately more good than bad. But some instances just stick in the mind and no matter how much you like a course a bad experience of treatment from members or staff stops you wanting to revisit those places again.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have found mixed reactions all over, generally good but unfortunately there are still occasions when I have felt that I am trespassing on some scared ground. As suggested these occasions tend to stick in your memory more than the pro/secretary/member going out of there way to help you enjoy your round.
Things are getting better but still some way to go at times.

daymond

Tour Rookie
Visit site
To think that you would have to fire off a post like that. The lack of personal service be it golf clubs or elsewhere seems to be an English disease. It sure doesn't happen in the USofA.
As an aside the poll on the home page has been stuck on a related matter for ages.

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can't think of a course I have played and felt unwelcome.

Played a course in Birmingham, and although I had been advised of fusarium on the greens when booking, I was handed a half price voucher by the greens committe when in the club house. I was taken aback with the kindness considering I only paid half price and that included a free beer afterwards.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Only time I've been made feel unwelcome was at Strandhill in Sligo. Out in a society of about 40 people. We were the last group and a group of members where behind and caught us up by around the 11th hole. One of them gave my brother an earful about slow play saying we'd lost a hole and should let them through. We hadn't the group ahead were on the green when we were teeing off and we caught them at the next tee which was a bit of a bottleneck anyway. Ruined the remainder of our round and our experience of a very nice course. The actually greeting in the shop and club house was excellent though. Just one member being a bit of a pillock.

sydney greenstreet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe it is my pleasent appearance and good looks ;), any course I have visited I have been made to feel more than welcome and am usualy asked if I would like to join a 2 or 3 ball, so far so good. :thup:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have to say most clubs I've visited in the last few years have been most welcoming. Like a lot, I tend to rock up, find the pro shop and pay my fee, get the code for the locker room (if required) get change and go out. It's the reception you get after that can make and break a day and even a modest course can be forgiven if the welcome in the 19th is hospitable

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I've never had any issues apart from Sandy Lodge, which I have stated (slated?) before. I have given them enough opportunities to change my opinion, and they have failed miserably every time. I should be playing there next week, but I refuse to give them my money.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I cant say that I have had any bad experiences but you always remember the ones that go out of their way to be good. Richardc's Bearsted GC , the Pro was the most pleasant and helpful of people, Blackmoors Captain and other helpers went out of their way to be nice and welcoming. Just depends like all places, shops, pubs etc on the people themselves.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am a nomad golfer, cant say that i have had a bad experience anywhere to be honest!

A few places its a pain where the changing rooms are keycode access only etc, but from visiting the proshop i am always made to felt welcome IMHO. The best visitor experiences i have had are from:

The Oxfordshire
Caversham Heights
Test Valley
Newbury and Crookham

SirSliceAlot

Club Champion
Visit site
Looks like I am on my own on this one so far then, could be bad luck I guess..
If anyone is interested, the offending courses are,
Park Hill - Very arrogant pro shop staff, unwelcoming club in general.
Oakmere Park - Rude, unhelpful pro.
Stapleford Park - Cracking course but some hideously snooty members who think they actually own the place.

Maybe I should just do as others and pay my green fee and get on with the golf itself. I just can't seem to help but get riled up by rude pro shops and snotty members! What gets me is my playing partners and I could easily be prospective members for all they know.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Actually I can agree with you on Stapleford Park. I have had a few less than perfect experiences with the membership there (go to Rutland Water instead, cheaper and very friendly).

The one club that gave me the wrong first impression was Newark. The pro and members were great and very friendly but the fact that you pull in through big gates to be directed away from the clubhouse and a nearly empty car park to the 'visitors' car park never gives me the impression that the place is going to be welcoming.

njc1973

Head Pro
Visit site
A club that I would recommend for the welcome is Edgbaston in Birmingham, rang up the day before to book a tee time to be told there was no need just rock up around 10.30 & they'd sort us out, people in the pro shop couldn't have been more helpful, everyone we saw welcomed us and asked how we'd enjoyed the round.

Food was good & the course was great and suprisingly hilly