When did you last play?

Visit site
I think I played once in December. Our course has been closed frequently during the past five weeks.
However, fingers crossed, I'll be out tomorrow, as I'm fairly confident that it will reopen.
Just as previous comments, I don't mind playing in the rain, but traipsing through mud, and looking for plugged balls is utterly tiresome.

sjw

Visit site
Last time I played (not including range visits) was on about the 23rd December at Felixstowe. Haven't played my home course in probably a month. Frustrating when you pay for a membership and watch it just tick away!

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Could have played a full 18 today but 13 was enough though it was one of the best golf days for quite some time. Despite having biblical rainfall for days & weeks the greens were hand-cut yesterday & are looking good for when Spring eventually arrives. Whilst the general area can't get anymore sodden the footprints 'damage' from Monday had disappeared altogether.

Red devil

Visit site
On the train today. Surprised to see so many courses open.
Hillside was a lake from tee to green nearly on the first as was Formby. Hillsides car park was full,don't know if there was anything on. Formby don't allow visitors in winter so just a few members on.
Not sure on S&A but West Lancs open even though plenty of standing water.
Don't know if I could be bothered with it all if I was a member at either of these clubs

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We have tree and building damage after Henk strolled through..hence today's closure....
Normal service, hopefully, resumed tomorrow but loads more rain coming after dark so Friday's looking doubtful.
Getting more than a mite miffed about this now.....

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Dropped into our club today and spoke with a few staff members, who weren’t confident we’d be open by the weekend - despite some drier weather being forecast.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
A Drive In in early January :oops: . That's bold. Does bad weather not impact it quite regularly?

All of the clubs I've been at have had the Drive In early April, start of the new season. Yes it can have bad weather still but the chance are it will be better than January.

Jan 1st at Cleveland.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We've been open on the odd day or 2 since mid Nov.
Fully closed since just before Christmas.
When I last played (maybe 2nd week of Dec) it was ridiculous, huge areas roped off, carry only, area's of the course where you could literally sink ankle deep in mud & have no chance of a clean strike on the ball without a shower of water / mud flying up.
I can't imagine what state it's in atm.

The rain we had had has been unbelievable.
Even my patio in the garden has flooded as the ground is waterlogged.
I've never seen that happen before.

I'm beginning to wonder what state the course will be in come Spring.
I know grass does recover quickly but I would imagine there will be a huge amount of prep work needed to get the course back to anything like decent.
Similar with our patio, as soon as it rains it’s starting to puddle in a few places. It’s rained that much over the last few months, that it’s gone green and I had to jet wash it clean, never had to do that before!

Springveldt

Visit site
Saturday the 23rd Dec was my last game at my parklands course. 16 holes open (a couple of others should have been closed, both of us lost a plugged ball in the fairway) but it was better than I thought it would have been. Was very, very muddy though. Think it's been closed nearly every day since except for 9 holes only at the weekend trying to get some cash into the club I guess.

The links course I'm also a member of has been closed for the last 3 days due to waterlogging. A sand based links course and even it can't drain the water away. It will be open 1 day after it finally stops raining while the parkland one is probably going to be a muddy mess till March.

I asked Alexa last night if it was going to rain today. "There is a 70% chance of rain at 7am which is expected to stop at 11pm". :LOL:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've pencilled in a game with mates for Sunday morning but not sure if it'll even be open by then. Still raining now I believe. And even if it's open it'll only be 4°c on Sunday morning. 🥶

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Tuesday 19th December, 7 muddy holes.

Last full round was 7th November at Bedlington as our place was closed. i think we have had 18 holes on for a handful of days since the end of October.

Supposed to be playing on Saturday, but it's been closed the last 3 days, so we shall see.

Zig

Visit site
Played today. It was great... but we've got puddles on two fairways and loads of bunkers filled with water. If our place is like that (which it very rarely is - links) then I can see why so many other places are closed. One of those crisp winter days when there's little wind and bright sun... no excuses for the quality of my golf on show!

Hope the rain recedes so people can start getting out!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Went for a ride on my bike today.
The amount of water in the farmers fields really shocked me.
Probably the most I have ever seen.
No wonder the courses are shut.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Rain has set in again here...allegedly until about 3am....
No chance for trolleys tomorrow so CVG won't play, I'm seriously considering giving it a miss...
Due a dry spell after tonight so things might firm up a bit for the weekend and into next week...

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Went for a ride on my bike today.
The amount of water in the farmers fields really shocked me.
Probably the most I have ever seen.
No wonder the courses are shut.
I took the dogs out today to the farm down the road. It was the same there, saturated and flooded fields, and a bit further on I could look down into the valley and the swollen beck that runs through it.

All of that water on the top is draining down into the valley, and all that water in the valley is heading east towards the golf course, first stop 11 and 12. Fortunately, the rest of the course is higher and is also draining down to 11 and 12. If the forecast is correct, we could be playing by the weekend.