When did you last play?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We are open, carry only....but you'd be a plonker to be out in this weather
Course had firmed up a bit yesterday but there will be puddles around now.
Almost certainly going to be carry only tomorrow but slightly better weather might mean better news on Thursday/Friday....

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I’m due to play a few holes tomorrow but if this rain continues I shan’t be bothering, even if the course is open.

I genuinely cannot recall seeing our place as wet as it is and, whilst it is holding up quite well because it’s carry only, there are holes which should be shut now, without question.

The answer, to address a point raised, is revenue. Pure and simple. Because we are open when everywhere else closes we get a lot of visitors, and the revenue from that is a massive bonus to the club, which is proprietary owned. If we lose that, the first thing which will happen is an increase in subs, so nobody complains too loudly.

That said, I’m surprised from a health and safety perspective if nothing else that we continue to have 18 holes available. Many of the paths and tee surrounds now are borderline dangerous they are that muddy.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
A Drive In in early January :oops: . That's bold. Does bad weather not impact it quite regularly?

All of the clubs I've been at have had the Drive In early April, start of the new season. Yes it can have bad weather still but the chance are it will be better than January.
Ours is on New Year’s Day.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Tropical showers today but managed to get full 18 in
Played around handicap

Swinging with a real freedom and belief that's been missing

Roll on the rest of 2024...

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Do you get a good turnout? If it is a tradition then I guess the numbers may be all okay. I'm just used to seeing it in April so I am not seeing many positive reasons for doing it in January
Seemed to be 40 or 50 people there yesterday. Don’t know whether that’s a good turnout or not.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Seemed to be 40 or 50 people there yesterday. Don’t know whether that’s a good turnout or not.
At my previous and current clubs there would be a comp on, often shotgun start after the captain has taken their shot. 18 holes, 4 ball on every hole, par 5's would have 2 groups on. If not shotgun then all slots would be taken. Some others would turn up just to watch, if the weather was good. Food and drink on one of the holes or in the clubhouse after. It's usually a big event, bigger than 40-50 people. That isn't a boast incidentally, prior to my current club I've never been at a club with a big membership. I just think the weather helps / doesn't help. Interesting stuff, how clubs do things differently (y)

D-S

Visit site
Ours is on New Year’s Day.
Ours is New Years Day too. Drive In for Club, Women’s, Juniors‘ and Seniors’ Captains, along with a cocktail party, free drinks and Canapés, thank yous from the outgoing Captain, announcement of next year‘s Vice Captain, Pro Shop raffle etc. It’s quite a big do.
We have a Season Opener comp hosted by the Captain in April which takes the place of the old Drive in when we changed the Captain‘s year to a calendar one.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Hell hath frozen over.....we're closed due to wet conditions.......
Saw a post from Chorley GC....in the last 6 months they've had the equivalent of a 1/4 inch of rain every single day.....
Crazy times....

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Despite 24 hours of significant rainfall and localised flooding the likes of which I haven’t seen in years, we remain fully open, albeit carry only.

Bonkers.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
We've been open on the odd day or 2 since mid Nov.
Fully closed since just before Christmas.
When I last played (maybe 2nd week of Dec) it was ridiculous, huge areas roped off, carry only, area's of the course where you could literally sink ankle deep in mud & have no chance of a clean strike on the ball without a shower of water / mud flying up.
I can't imagine what state it's in atm.

The rain we had had has been unbelievable.
Even my patio in the garden has flooded as the ground is waterlogged.
I've never seen that happen before.

I'm beginning to wonder what state the course will be in come Spring.
I know grass does recover quickly but I would imagine there will be a huge amount of prep work needed to get the course back to anything like decent.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played today, first round since 20th Dec. Course was a bit damp and some debris from the storm we had between Christmas and New Year, but still good to get out from under the wife's feet.