Whats your average and longest drive?

flandango

Head Pro
Visit site
I need no advise at the moment, no new equipment, and nothing to report.

I'm sat with a beer watching horse racing wandering????

HOW FAR CAN YOU BOYS SPANK IT!!!....be honest.

I know this is not what the game is all about but what the hell....i'm talking about BALLS OUT POWER AND DISTANCE!!!

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
260- 280 average I would think.
300+ on a good one, with a dry fairway, and a slight breeze behind.

Hitting the fairway is more important tho, which I'm working on. :)

johng

Head Pro
southerndowngolfclub.co.uk
I average 200, longest recently, as measure by GPS is 265, including roll.

not long but I'm very accurate. :)

got to admit though I would love to be able to hit 260+ as standard, i know it will never happen though :(

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
My longest ever was about 350 yds, tail breeze, hard fairway, 450 some yds of par 4, completely overshot the green with my PW.lol.

My average by choice is about 250/60 as I am a little wayward these days with the driver but I can still achieve 300 distance if I spank it, been out today and managed to hit a couple of long ones in freezing cold windy conditions, not very accurate though.lol.

Im happy to be on the fairway or even fringes at 250 these days.

Up_Point_1

Head Pro
Visit site
Pardon my bluntness but I can't see what this post is trying to prove.

Isn't this game all about getting the ball in the hole in as little strokes as possible? WGAF how far you hit the ball? Keeping it in play is what matters.

I've played golf for years and it always amuses me how much satisfaction people (particularly higher handicappers) get from how far they hit the ball, irrespective of which direction it travels. They're chuffed to bits having hit a 300 yard drive despite the fact that the ball is 2 fairways across from where it should be.

I don't understand :D

DHM.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hard to say. Rarely over 250, but the odd beauty once in a while with a lucky bounce.
In the summer, on a wet-ish course, I was 5-10 yards short of TonyN when we both got a good 'un.

We have a nice flat short par 4 at mine, the 9th, by which time I'm normaly warmed up and worked out what the blasted club wants from me. It's 339 and I often find myself a couple of yards past the 100 disk....making about 240. Unfortunately the fairway has never been rock-hard, other wise I reckon I could get pretty close. It's all about roll really.

I'm doing 20 minutes a day with a speed stik in the hope of finding 5-10 mph.....it would really help me.

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Pardon my bluntness but I can't see what this post is trying to prove.

Isn't this game all about getting the ball in the hole in as little strokes as possible? WGAF how far you hit the ball? Keeping it in play is what matters.

I've played golf for years and it always amuses me how much satisfaction people (particularly higher handicappers) get from how far they hit the ball, irrespective of which direction it travels. They're chuffed to bits having hit a 300 yard drive despite the fact that the ball is 2 fairways across from where it should be.

I don't understand :D

Life can be so serious for some people sometimes. Its just a bit of harmless fun, someone asks the question, I answer it. Its not going to destroy my faith in golf! :cool:
DHM.

dont know how that happened, my post should have been below that, oh dear, crisis. And furthermore, not everyone is a high h/c player and indeed when I was in my early 30s playing off 6 a good 300yd drive was worth its weight in gold on some courses especially par 5s.Nothing wrong with people being thrilled with a long drive in that if the ever master it they can chuck away a few clubs in their bags and likely enjoy a lower score.I advocate short game practice as much as anyone but if I could get my drive consistency back I would be as pleased as punch hitting long. Seems to me those who tend to have a little shrowded go at 'THE LONG DRIVE' are envious people with a convenient critique. Ok whats the limit of driving distance YOUwould set if it could be made golfing law?

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know this is not what the game is all about but what the hell....i'm talking about BALLS OUT POWER AND DISTANCE!!!

DHM, He has already said he knows this is not what the game is about I guess he's just interested In what we all hit.

I must admit, When i get on the tee and some one creams a long one down the middle, the lentgh certainly puts some pressure on and I do get tempted to try give it that little more. How many others do this? Who has the discipline to keep it easy knowing short on short stuff is better than long in long stuff?

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Dont know about you Tony but I can end up in the long stuff with a short one as well as i can with a long one lol.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Haha Herb of course that is the case but I am sure you have been there. You have a tight fairway, its a shortish par 4, down hill and you think, if i just give it 10% more I might make it in one and then before you know it, your reloading thinking, Why Why Why? Then you hit an easy one down the middle for 3. :D

andycap

Head Pro
Visit site
We've been here in the past
This is the biggest willy post.
Old timers with a long memory may remember a real ding -dong that kicked off after Madandra questioned the mighty driving ability of Flopshot .It was probably the first decent ruck on the forum , and boy did it get nasty!!!!!! :eek:

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
My old club (for 5-6 years) put the longest driver comp on the 8th by the clubhouse. As I couldn't get on in 2 (uphill 420 yarder) my method of choice was 3w, 5i (at the left bunker) and then a running 7/8 iron into the ridge up to the green. One year, the boys took the p*** out of me for pulling out my 3w with a prize on offer.

I looked 'em in the eyes and said "you think I should take a different club?" to which they all said "yes, Dave, you big girl".

So, feeling in confident mood (level par gross for the first 7 - in an Open!! :cool:) I grabbed my Big Bertha 1996 2 iron and hit a huge draw over the trees by the 10th tee landing smack-bang on the centre cut.

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
average in the summer is about 280 in the winter about 265 longest drive 325-335 couldnt give you an exact figure without one of those gps things ive hit loads of 300-320s cos im the don!

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Haha Herb of course that is the case but I am sure you have been there. You have a tight fairway, its a shortish par 4, down hill and you think, if i just give it 10% more I might make it in one and then before you know it, your reloading thinking, Why Why Why? Then you hit an easy one down the middle for 3. :D

I did exactly that about a month ago at Louth, only to make it worse I have actually made the green before a few times in friendlies...lol. Par 4 Down hill dog leg left, playing in a match, Im sure in a match a big bundle of brain cells run and hide behind the ear lobe or something. Oh I can do this one, my head said, No! it cant said the rest of my body, the course and my club! lol. Reloading is just not funny!

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
DHM, He has already said he knows this is not what the game is about
- Thank you TonyN, I can read, and I do understand the question. Was merely making a point, as i'm entitled to do.

DHM.

DHM, their is no need to be arsey, I wasn't being. I was trying to help you understand that this post wasn't trying to prove anything, like you thought it was, I was just pointing out he was merely interested in what we all hit average. And what we could hit if we wanted.

andycap

Head Pro
Visit site
I must admit, When i get on the tee and some one creams a long one down the middle, the lentgh certainly puts some pressure on and I do get tempted to try give it that little more. How many others do this? Who has the discipline to keep it easy knowing short on short stuff is better than long in long stuff?

One of the groups i play in has a guy who plays off 4 and hits the ball a country mile . We always make him tee off last, because as much as you try not to to you end up using his ball as a target and messing your own game up