Whats your average and longest drive?

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
I have been working on a low-ish draw with plenty of topspin (feels like hitting a tennis forehand almost) that my pro has been working on with me for the winter season.

When it comes off its a cracking shot but it feels so unatural so plenty more practice required.

CarpeDiem

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I had a 2 hr lesson with pro on controlling my drives and we measured that my average was 272 yds, which I was hugely impressed by. :)

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Leftie this is my biggest bug bare on amatuer golfers they really have no idea just how far they ACTUALLY hit the ball....average 280plus....aye righto. :p
Well said, Dodger! Good to hear this from a good player! Some of the distances claimed on this thread are a joke.
BTW I regularly knock it 375 yards (even into the wind). And my member is nearly as long as my putter, :)

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
Myself and MVP were discussing this when we spoke in person recently.

Basically we wondered why people always question the distance thing?

Many of the distances claimed on here have been witnessed by other forum users so to brag about what we cant do would only make us look like a bunch of knobs when we meet up!

D

Deleted member 1740

My longest is 270 though i reckon i miss hit it that day cos i've never done it since ;) My average is around 200-220 which am hoping will increase when father christmas brings me a new driver

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Having had SC5 for a while now it is something I have been recording for a while, mainly on the par 5's where there is a little more room should I get a bit over excited and carve one left or right.

On average I drive the ball 212.5 yards on all drives measured although I have "tonked" one out to 247 downwind (and the fariway was damp!). In conclusion I am never going to be a big hitter and like many would rather have it on the short stuff and take one or two more clubs into to the green.

However if it is good enough for the tour boys to take an interest in I see no problem with having a thread like this. I have played with a few forum guys and know that what they say is accurate and so I'm prettysure none of the forummers are particularly on some ego trip and trying to be the longest on here.

If it isn't a subject you wish to join in with or have an interest in my suggestion is to merely move on and not post comments of a negative nature that add nothing to the subject matter.

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
DHM did I not say that I know long drives is not all golf is about????

And have I not already said in an earlier post that I can read, and I do understand your question?

I will still stand by my original comment on this thread. WGAF how far people hit a golf ball. It's totally irrelevant.

Any old numpty with an ounce of coordination can knock a golf ball 300 yards if they have 500 acres of land to aim at.

DHM.

DHM I dont understand why you are so wound up over a very very clearly presented original question that in no way was serious, I have just read through all the replies on here and you seem to be the only one being serious as well as critical, there is no need for it mate. But if serious is what you prefer.......
I wont use your frustrated language though.
1.Everyone cares how far they hit a ball.
2.Distance hit accurately is of extreme importance to every golfer, by practice, some may even become very competent at long hitting and being someone who used to consistantly hit long, I can assure you that life after a long accurate drive is much easier than life after a short one.
3.What would most golfers like their game to become? I doubt they would be wishing for short drives if they could master long ones.
4.A long drive on par 5s on most courses sets you up for a shot to the green, if that second shot is made you are putting for an eagle and in the end good long consistant drives lower handicaps so your WGAF comment is the irrellevant part of your comment.
5.Your 'any old numpty' comment is inappropriate in this case and very wrong. Most golfers at their best rarely achieve more than 250 or so and I am speaking of single figure h/c players here, to hit a ball 300 plus requires a lot more and to be consistantly accurate with such hits reqires something a bit special.A comming togeather of all aspects of ballance/timing/power/speed/contact/rhythm etc etc, any old numpty cannot hit 300 yds other than down hill with a back wind.lol.

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
what i will say to add to the heat of the convo is ...YOU DO NOt have to be a low or mid handicapper to spank the ball miles! I hit the ball a modest distance and im a mid-high handicapper

handicaps are earnt on and around the greens!

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
I hit it miles! left that is with a huge slice and shout of FORE to follow it.

Have put my driver to sleep for a while until I learn to hit my 3 wood properly, with him I am getting about 230 yards.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Most low cappers I know do not over swing the club and have the ability of consistency which I do not have. We use violence on the ball where as they used controlled power.

If you took a low capper and a high capper bomber to a range and got them to hit 30 drives each the dispersion rate of the low guy would be less than the high cap bomber. The bomber would probably only find the fairway 7 times from 30 blows and that is why his cap is so high.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I hit about 210 at the moment. I measure it on an SG5. My longest to date is 251, down hill, down wind. I have not measured a summer drive, as I did not have an SG5 in the summer, and I am ignoring any preconceived ideas I had about distance until next summer. Basically, if I haven't measured it with a gps, it doesn't count.

When I played at Cobtree earlier in the year, I hit a 400 yard par 4 with a drive and a wedge. All this proves to me is that the hole wasn't 400 yards.

OldWindy

Q-School Graduate
www.fronhaul-aberdovey.co.uk
For me, I don' think there's a simple answer to this as course/weather conditions play such a large part in determining flight, carry and roll (including some very unpredictable bounces). The only thing I have to go on is what I would hit generally on some of the holes on my course in winter and summer and that's prolly 210ish and 240ish, respectively (on a good day, mind). There are the freak shots here and there but can't really count those and they are few and far between.

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
This thread is popular.lol. can we have another, maybe how often you 3 putt! I wonder if it will get the same mileage.

Visit site
To the OP, I think that this is a great thread. ;)

It depends whether its measured in the Winter or Summer! For instance, my longest measured drive is 357 yrds, downhill and wind asissted. I have won a longest drive tankard at The Belfry (Brabazon) and yet in the cold on Saturday I tonked a drive only 235yrds. I have changed my driver recently from a Cobra LD Speed Stiff 10.5 to a Nike Sasquatch Regular 11.5 which may have something to do with it but not that much.

Average in the winter I would say 230-250yrds

Average in the summer i would say 250-275yrds.

Actually if you measured the actual path of the ball with my slice.......450yrds!! :p