Royal County Down.....what a golf course

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
I echo what Steve has said, a fantastic experience on an unbelievably good golf course.

My first time playing it on Tuesday and as we had a few putts on the (ginormous!) practice green I was a mixture of nervous and excited. Then for a minute I started to wonder had I hyped it up too much and would I end up disappointed. That didn't last though, despite losing my very first ball off the tee I soon settled into it with a birdie on the second and quickly saw why the course is rated so highly.

Since attending the Irish Open last year and watching the pros deal with the iconic par 3 4th I had wanted to play that hole. 200 yards with very little room for error, I was happy to walk off with a par.

Another stand-out moment was getting to the top of the hill at the 9th to see the fairway 30 feet below with the clubhouse, newcastle and mourne mountains providing a stunning backdrop.

I was slightly surprised at how fair the course is and playable for amateurs. I had watched the pros grind their way round it last year and had it in my head I would be lucky to break 20 points. I have to caveat that by saying the conditions were about as calm as it gets for links golf whereas during the Irish Open last year it was horrendous at times. But if you can keep your ball on the short stuff off the tee, there is plenty of opportunities for scoring.

As Steve mentioned I had an eagle on the 12th which I was delighted with, seeing as it was my first proper eagle and a great course to get it on. Bob's birdie putt on the 5th from about 30 yards off the green was also something that had to be seen to be believed! The money did indeed go to Steve and Bob but the match was competitive all the way round and was great craic.

Playing RCD is one ticked off the bucket list for me and I'll definitely be back next year, a few times hopefully.

I'm just glad your chip in on the 5th that followed my putt was with your second ball. Imagine halfed with birdies and neither hitting GIR!