Royal County Down.....what a golf course

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Myself, Brendy and Bob (palindromicbob) played RCD on Friday evening for the first time and I have to say that it lives up to every single thing that I've ever read about it.

Absolutely stunning example of links golf presented in immaculate condition from start to finish.

I have heard many complaints about the blind tee shots but buying a strokesaver and by committing to the line advised in it we found our balls in the middle of the fairways, well on the occasions we hit the shots we wanted to😉. I think I can speak for the other guys when I say we found it toughest hitting our approach shots into the greens as not knowing what the entrances to the greens were like caused a lot of running through greens or coming up short due to slopes that were unseen from the fairways, not a complaint though just a lack of knowledge being our first time round.

We got probably as benign conditions as you will ever get there and all played reasonably well for our scores with the odd disaster hole but at no time did I ever think the course was too tough or unfair, definitely playable for all levels as long as your honest with yourself and play off a suitable tee. We were advised to play off the yellows by the starter as Bob plays off 18 and at still over 6600 yards it by no means lessened the experience.

Having sat down and thought about it I still can't think of a weak hole on the course and every one of them is different from the other. Really tough call to pick a favourite hole as I loved every minute of the round but the 13th probably edges it and for toughness probably the 202 yard (from the yellows😳) par 3 mostly carry over gorse and whin bushes 4th hole.

Special mention must go to the "bearded" bunkers and especially the one to the right of the 11th green that I had to take an unplayable ball drop from under an over hanging lip which literally left me with no shot in any direction😳 Unfair? Maybe some will say yes but didn't feel that way to me, more of an "ah well I'm not supposed to be there anyway" attitude

All in all a fantastic days golf played on a course that truly does live up to its hype and I strongly advise everyone to play it someday.

We didn't pay full green fees as we got a deal being GUI Ulster members but is it worth £185? Comparing it to other places I've played that charge top prices? Absolutely yes!!!

So much so that we are already talking about organising another trip there before the end of this year and planning on making it an annual event.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Glad you all enjoyed it. I agree, best course I have ever played :thup:

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Course was in great condition, greens weren't as fast as Id imagined though that could be down to the time of day we were out.
There are several blind teeshots on the championship course and having never played before (lived in Co Down all my life, cant believe this is my first time playing RCD) decided to play a 1 iron from almost all of the tees (driver on 9th for photo opp!) barring par 3's.
Bunkering is simply immense (See first pic for Smange's bunker where he had no option but to take a drop), most are recognisable from the teeboxes as they are backed/crowned with rough and heather, even raking your marks was an endurance there was so much sand in them. I found two bunkers on the day, the first got a majestic high flyer close to the pin and holed the putt for a rare (for me) sandy save, the second time it was too close to the high lip and took a second effort to get it out and down the the flag.
Fairways are pretty fast and the rough was quite fair. if you did venture in you had a fairly good chance of finding your ball but as I found on the 18th, it doesn't necessarily guarantee you an easy shot out as it wraps round the club.
The greens were fairly tricky in places, the 7th for instance, I played a 53 degree to the right front of the green, it took a hop left and I thought it had stopped pin high to the left of the flag. when I got to the green it had ran off the green to the left and gave me a 25 yard bump and run back up the slope. I guess playing the course a few times would give more confidence on where to aim and play certain holes.
Overall though, loved it and given the calm conditions can only imagine how difficult it can become when the wind whips up on the other 364 days of the year.
Some pics, no particular order.

20160610_185454.jpg

Apologies on the quality of these three, taken from video.
Screenshot_2016-06-10-22-41-55.png

Screenshot_2016-06-10-22-41-25.png

2016-06-12%2022.39.23.png

20160610_161732.jpg

20160610_162346.jpg

20160610_165856.jpg

20160610_174532.jpg

20160610_181328.jpg

20160610_180413.jpg

20160610_182534.jpg

20160610_182145.jpg

20160610_181335.jpg

20160610_181347.jpg

20160610_201119.jpg

20160610_182651.jpg

20160610_202325.jpg

20160610_203749.jpg

S

Snelly

I have been lucky enough to have played a lot of very nice golf courses and Royal County Down is the best of them all and by some considerable margin. Just sublime.

Glad you enjoyed it.

And at half the cost of a round on the West at Wentworth, it is excellent value for money! :)

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I have been lucky enough to have played a lot of very nice golf courses and Royal County Down is the best of them all and by some considerable margin. Just sublime.

Glad you enjoyed it.

And at half the cost of a round on the West at Wentworth, it is excellent value for money! :)

Even the clubhouse, walk into the locker rooms and they are littered with photos of Tiger, Jack, Rory and a whole host of others playing the course either in competition or as warm up rounds before the Open. Fantastic.
Never got the chance to spend time on the practice green area but it looked rather difficult given where they had the little flags placed.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Some great pictures. How many balls required? Looked like some scary rough.

I managed to lose one up the last with an awful recovery shot from the rough. Its in the rough down the left side... somewhere.( titleist prov1 99 in good nick with a purple dot if anyone finds it!)There is potential to lose many for sure. One of the par 3s (4th iirc) is all gorse for at least the first 100 odd yards.
Blind tees have the ability to screw you too but we got round pretty well considering. 1 each i think the tally was at the end.

Last edited:

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
I managed to lose one up the last with an awful recovery shot from the rough. Its in the rough down the left side... somewhere.( titleist prov1 99 in good nick with a purple dot if anyone finds it!)There is potential to lose many for sure. One of the par 3s (4th iirc) is all gorse for at least the first 100 odd yards.
Blind tees have the ability to screw you too but we got round pretty well considering. 1 each i think the tally was at the end.

have to own up it was 2 for me ;). Had my provisional not been 40 yards from the green on the 16th I might have looked harder for the 2nd one. The 1st I lost was eaten by the gorse in front of the 4th tee box. Remember my thoughts at the time. Had looked at the green and stood up for the shot and just before hitting it I looked up again. All I could see was gorse and that's all I could think about.

I've been very lucky recently. Started it with playing Druids Glen (easily the best parkland I've ever played) and now RCD off the list and definitely on the cards for the future.

When thinking of favourites I divide up parkland and links because they are such different experiences but if I was told that the afterlife meant you could play golf in perfect weather for eternity but the one catch was you had to play the same course I'd choose RCD.

I'll have to make do now with Slieve Russell on the 24th. Woe is me. ;)

Last edited: