The Great Mid Iron vs Hybrid Debate - Can You Hit a 7 Iron?

351DRIVER

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Yes I can hit a 7 iron. I can also hit a bladed 3 iron. What I can't hit is a hybrid. They are horrible.

I was very much in this boat for a long time, i saw the bigger head on the hybrid and tried to swing it like a wood, rather than hit it like an iron, as soon as i picked the club up and swing it as if it were a long iron, started to hit it well and now think they are great.

Long iron is more accurate, Hybrid has more punch, nothing beats the perfectly struck long iron for golfer satisfaction!

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Does this argument really exist? Surely whatever someone hits is just down to them .... will the same argument exist for GI irons and blades. Surely if you can hit a 7 iron then you can hit a blade too?

Golf is individual, I don't know of two people that have the same set of clubs, or the same swing with those clubs, so why would we try and fit everyone into the same box? I see plenty of people with six headcovers in their bag, some older, but it's growing down the age range too now. Lessons can help loads of people but some times people just wanna go out and have some fun playing golf.

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
I think sometimes guys who can hit long irons and can't understand the use of hybrids are missing how the help the likes of me to play the game. Yes I can hit a 6i and 5i fairly consistently, so I should be able to hit a 4i the same and I can, the issue is that as I am new to the game and a senior when I gaped my clubs I found that I do not have the necessary swing speed to hit a 4i so that it launches high enough to give me more carry than my 5i, wheres with my swing speed the 25 deg and 22 deg hybrids provide me with:

A higher ball flight of my 25 deg hybrid over my my 5i meaning I ball lands without much roll out, but I carry the 5i lower shots and when I am looking for a bit more roll out

The 22 deg hybrid gives me a decent 4i carry compared to my other clubs

I would love to be able hit a 4i or 3i with a decent carry but I can't so hybrids are the obvious choice, and I can hit both my hybrids straight, with a fad and with a draw so in my view they are not the one dimensional club they have reputation to be

351DRIVER

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Long irons require a decent swing speed, i am sure if you swing too slow to hit a 3 iron a hybrid can feel like a miracle club, whereas if you can hit the 3 iron a hybrid compromises accuracy but returns extra length

D

Deleted member 15344

I would suggest that Major winner YE Yang who has hybrids down to 5 iron at some stage would be a great advert for using what gives you the best results

Maybe more club handicap golfers should try them could help bring Handicaps down

Nashy

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't carry a 3 iron anymore and have an Adams 20* hybrid with an X stiff Graphite Design shaft, I cut the shaft down so it's only 0.5" longer than a normal 3 iron would be. This is the first Hybrid I have reliably got on with.

I do love a 4 iron though, I prefer the flight and find I am more accurate with it. Confidence is key and I have that from a 4 iron, I know a lot of people get that from a hybrid. That's the great thing about golf, there's no set way to do it.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I do love it when I connect with my 4 iron, lovely ball flight

but I find sticking to a 7 iron and higher scores better overall for my round... all too often I hit heavy with my 6/5/4 irons

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
But if I dropped my 4i I'd have nothing to pitch out with from under the tees

I have a 22 degree old Wilson hybrid that I've tried to budge from the bag but nothing stays the distance. I even tried the Titleist hybrid you have Gaz. I think it's the heavy regular v2 staff that just suits a smooth swing. It's a great 200 (210 if I turn it over a bit) yard club for me. My 4i is then 190.

I honestly think there is minimal consistency between how I hit a hybrid and long iron. My bad shots with both are equally as bad.

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
a friend of mine who's in his late 60's and still off 3. At a course thats over 6700 yards of the medal tee's has a 6 iron as his lowest lofter iron the rest are hybrids. Not because he can't hit them or isn't a good ball striker, simply because he hits the hybrids further with his diminishing CHS.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Personal choice.

Until the rules demand that you need to show the clubs used on the scorecard I'll not worry whether I use the same club as my playing buddies.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
As a result of what I managed this evening and mentioned in the 'I played today and...' thread - I can now say that I CAN hit my 7i straight high and true - and my 6i, 5i, 4i AND 3i. My hybrid can now be of use for specific shots rather than a fallback cop-out - which is great as I was very prone to hooky with my 20.5* hybrid - bad news. But happy golfer this evening - keen to see what tomorrow morns comp brings me....

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Does it honestly matter. Is a posted 70 with irons better than a 69 with hybrids?

I have irons down to 4 and a couple of hybrids. Different ball flight, and if its windy...

As for hybrids hook? Golfers hook, hybrids don't.

craigstardis1976

Head Pro
Visit site
It depends on the specs of your irons of course.

My Ping Eye2's have a 24 degree 4 Iron. Very easy to hit. Although the stock ZZ Lite Shaft is on the stiff side, it is very light weight and has a super soft tip.

I go from 12 degree Driver, 19 Degree 5 Wood and 21 Degree Hybrid and I am set ready to go.

Of course this only really applies if your clubs have not gone in for the new loft jacking that so many have.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
With my new found confidence in my irons (they are blades so I need confidence with the low numbers) I hit a couple of cracking 4i shots yesterday (both about 190yds which will do me just dandy). Sweet as a nut; straight as a die, and high as I ever have been.