The Great Mid Iron vs Hybrid Debate - Can You Hit a 7 Iron?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Reading the thread about higher lofted hybrids had me thinking.

Can you hit a 7 iron? Because....

If you can hit a 7 iron, you can hit a 6 iron.

If you can hit a 6 iron, you can hit a 5 iron.

If you can hit a 5 iron, you can hit a 4 iron.

Or can you?

I'm very much a firm believer in the mental side of golf. If you think/believe you can't hit a particular club, you're on a hiding to nothing before you even start.

I play with a chap on occasion who claims he cannot hit a long(...er) iron. His longest irons is a 7 iron in the Ping K15 range. he constantly harps on about how easy hybrids make the game. How forgiving and easy they are to hit etc.

During a bounce game a while back, he asked if he could try my 7 iron, so I handed it over to him. He hit it clean as a whistle, great flight and a lovely soft draw. He was amazed at the distance my 7 iron went.

Then I told him to look at the sole. I'd given him my 5 iron on purpose just to prove he could hit something longer than a 7 iron.

Before I go on, I would like to say I have absolutely no issue with hybrids or anyone that uses them. If they work and make the game easier for you, more power to your elbow.

One thing that does grate a little is the higher lofted versions (... As per Gary's thread).

31° Hybrids ..... Seriously?

If you can't hit a 6 iron (... 7 iron if it's a TM or Callaway iron :smirk: ) then I would suggest money would be better spent on lessons as opposed to equipment.

Long iron replacements (19° thru 22°) are a little different and I can, kind of, understand their requirement as some folk my find it difficult to get the correct launch from as little loft in the equivalent iron.

I cannot understand the need for a hybrid with a mid-iron loft though for the average, healthy, golfer. Long iron lofts, OK. Mid-iron (27°-31°) I just cannot understand it :confused:

My own personal perspective on hybrids is well documented on these boards :D

I'm not a fan and find them hook-machines and less accurate then the equivalent iron. I'm also probably the only person on here who finds them harder to hit than the equivalent iron.

My own bias aside. I understand that they can help in certain instances. Golfers of an older disposition who aren't as flexible as they used to be or folk who cannot generate sufficient club head speed to get the ball to a good height and I absolutely accept that, but for average Joe, male or female, I cannot see the point.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Personally I struggle with the length of shafts so my longest iron is a 7 iron. I have a 21° hybrid that I hit in the manner of a 7 iron and go down the shaft a little on it. I am a bit hit and miss with it but persist as I need the extra length it offers over my 7 iron. I have tried many 5-6 irons but just can't get on with them.

You may well be correct about the mental side of the number on the iron but then that applies to many aspects of golf.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
There is no such thing as an average Joe and there in lies the issues. Life would be very boring if everyone was an average Joe.

I find anything from a 5 upwards no issue but hitting a 3 or 4 iron tough. I like to use a 7w yet a lot of my playing partners take one look and go I can't hit with that yet they can happily hit with the 5w.

It's all about what works for you and what works for you may not work for the average Joe...

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why does it matter from one guy to the next? If it's legal and someone prefers hitting 7i equivalent hybrids, then surely therein lies the point? Personal preference?

D

Deleted member 21258

I love my 7 iron, probably my most reliable club in the bag.

This year I have carried and tried very hard with my 6 iron, which at the beginning of the year I had trouble with hitting. Now I can hit it, just not super reliable. And to be honest I can swing the 7 iron harder/faster, more consist and get the same distance from the 7 iron if I need to.

Its always been a case for me for not being able to see the loft on lower irons, so they look like to me a flat bit of metal on the end of a shaft and therefore not liking the look of it (even though I hit down etc with my iron).

I have been searching for an 11 wood for over a year in tight lies but no joy but after seeing garyinderry thread about hybrids I may buy a very lofted hybrid if the lofts go high enough.

It is truly mad, I agree.

Never thought of you as an iron snob:ears:

D

Deleted Member 1156

Blimey, I didn't even know this debate existed :mmm:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
[video=youtube;JGYCz8_zk5c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGYCz8_zk5c[/video]

Test using a 3i and 3 hybrid. No contest. :rofl:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My mid iron replacement 5 hybrid is because, while I can and have hit the 5 iron well enough. It just isn't consistent enough for me.

Hybrids are on the whole much more forgiving. They are also designed to launch. For me to hit a high 5iron I need to get the feeling of casting the club a touch to present more loft at impact.

The hybrid just makes solid contact so much easier.

If we stood and hit ball after ball after ball, you with 5 iron, me with 5 hybrid, I would nearly bet my hat on you being the first to duff one 30 yards short of target. :ears:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
[video=youtube;JGYCz8_zk5c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGYCz8_zk5c[/video]

Test using a 3i and 3 hybrid. No contest. :rofl:

How deeper rough?

If the rough is thick enough that you cant get to the back of the ball I would question club selection and the expectation of outcome.

I'd rather take a more lofted club and guarantee getting it out.

As it's about mid iron hybrid lofts, would you hit a 7 iron from the rough?

Last edited:

Break90

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm happy with my 7 iron, mostly happy with my 6 iron, and fairly happy with my 5 iron, especially off the tee.

4 and 3 iron are a lottery, however my 21 and 24 degree hybrids are far more reliable, and the bad shots are, well, less bad than the long irons.

I've always been comfortable hitting fairway woods off the deck, so it's probably at least partly mental, but I don't imagine I will ever find the time to practice enough with the long irons to make them as reliable as my hybrids.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
7,6 - no problems.
5 can be a bit iffy, especially at the moment.
4 - goes no further, for me, than a decent 5 iron...
I think many people try to hit the hybrid too hard..swing smooth and let the club do the work.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Personally I have a 18º driving iron for links that often gets swapped out for my 19º hybrid or 18º fairway wood, it depends on what I plan on doing. Not quite sure what exactly the OP is getting at here? Boasting about being an iron player or asking a question with a myriad of answers that depend on feel, ability, cost, etc etc doesn't seem to really make any point that's concrete.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I hit my irons OK, Ive even got am MP37 two iron in the bag at the moment instead of the hybrid, though that might change now we are towards the end of the season.

in fact i struggle with high lofted hybrids, the 23 deg one i have doesn't go as far as the 3 iron i replaced it with. just used to ballon.. 205 carry and no more, ito a wind it went nowhere.

Farmergeddon

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have a flat swing and have found that The Cleveland Altitudes work best for me, they are all Hybrids so yes I have 31degree and a 46 degree hybrid... the horse fits my course!

xcore

Head Pro
Visit site
Love hitting my 4 iron off a perfect lie, anything other then that and il use my 22 degree, although that tends to hook (the risk of duffing a long iron in semi rough is worse and more likely)

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ditched my hybrids, just go to high for me, if in the rough I use a higher lofted iron and don't attempt the Hollywood shot. Love my 4 iron, thinking of adding a 1 iron for off the tee.