What would you have done ?

quinn

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
3 years ago a group of us went to Ashbury Hotel for a week for one of the guys 40th

On one hole one of our playing partners collapsed on a tee - we called ambulance and air ambulance arrived etc - one of the marshals arrived asking if the chap who we were giving CPR could be moved off the tee so people behind could continue playing

Was absolutely disgusted with him and told him in no uncertain words - he apologised and said he didn't realise it was bad ( he was gone and we knew it but his sons were there )

After he had left with the Air Ambulance I went straight to the office there to demand an explanation why their marshals would act like that. I was in total shock at this guys attitude

Can't believe some people,

D

Deleted member 18588

One thing I can tell you all is that the poor devil that had collapsed could not have cared less what the rest of the field did.

14 years ago I suffered a major heart attack at the side of our 15th green. Lying on the ground and barely conscious I really was not bothered what everyone else did as I waited for the ambulance to arrive.

I was, however, a little taken aback by my marker asking me to sign my card just prior to my collapse so I suppose I should not have been surprised to later learn that he joined the group behind to complete his round leaving my other FC to carry my clubs in and phone my wife.

quinn

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
One thing I can tell you all is that the poor devil that had collapsed could not have cared less what the rest of the field did.

14 years ago I suffered a major heart attack at the side of our 15th green. Lying on the ground and barely conscious I really was not bothered what everyone else did as I waited for the ambulance to arrive.

I was, however, a little taken aback by my marker asking me to sign my card just prior to my collapse so I suppose I should not have been surprised to later learn that he joined the group behind to complete his round leaving my other FC to carry my clubs in and phone my wife.

Cant believe some people, won't let anything stop their game of golf,

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
Perhaps it's situations like these that occur that raise the question of "what would you do?" and maybe bring it to the attention of people that don't have training, to maybe get some training? In a remote situation when you are waiting on paramedics, medivac, doctors or whatever, someone with a bit of training can keep the oxygenated blood flow running to the brain, until the "gear" turns up. As a well respected doctor once said to me "put it this way, you're not gonna make the victim any worse off if you try your best."

I took an emergency first aid course recently with CPR and defibrillator training. It took 6 hours and cost £65. I learned on the course that if someone has a heart attack in a city centre and no one is CPR trained they have a 5% chance of survival. If someone knows CPR they have a 40% chance. CPR and defib training plus access to a unit and they have an 80% chance of survival. As you said it's all about keeping them going with oxygen and blood pumping until the ambulance arrives and even the basic technique as demonstrated by Vinnie Jones is better than nothing.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have to do my basic life saving test in work each year so would like to think I'd have enough knowledge to at least try and keep someone alive waiting for an ambulance. I don't know what else anyone can do but attend the casualty if they know what they are doing other than perhaps go back and spread the word that the hole is off limits and needs to be by-passed and why