What would you have done ?

quinn

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Not pleasant scenes on the course this morning, one of the old boys in front of us collapsed on the tee obviosusly from what we could see he was in a bad way, wasn't quite sure what we should do, ambulance had been called so we just stayed back on the fairway out of the way,anyway thought it would be polite if I walked back to the tee to let the group behind know why we had stopped and what was happening, couldn't believe what I heard, they were actually discussing if it would be ok to carry on and play on, one even asked if they could still use the tee that the old boy was lying on, couldn't believe it, luckily one of their group seemed a bit sympathetic and persuaded them to wait,we picked up and after checking how he was was walked to the next tee, they were even moaning because we had to wait for the air ambulance to land, we carried on but didn't feel right, puts it into perspective when you see something like that, rang the club earlier to see if there was any news and they said he'd improved, didn't look good so hope he's ok.

gazr99

Assistant Pro
Visit site
That's tough. Some people just don't have a caring bone in their body. It's happened to my Grandad before and having visited an Air Ambulance Charity last year, apparently it is a reasonably common scenario at golf courses

quinn

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
That's tough. Some people just don't have a caring bone in their body. It's happened to my Grandad before and having visited an Air Ambulance Charity last year, apparently it is a reasonably common scenario at golf courses

that's bad, some people won't let anything spoil their game of golf.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not pleasant scenes on the course this morning, one of the old boys in front of us collapsed on the tee obviosusly from what we could see he was in a bad way, wasn't quite sure what we should do, ambulance had been called so we just stayed back on the fairway out of the way,anyway thought it would be polite if I walked back to the tee to let the group behind know why we had stopped and what was happening, couldn't believe what I heard, they were actually discussing if it would be ok to carry on and play on, one even asked if they could still use the tee that the old boy was lying on, couldn't believe it, luckily one of their group seemed a bit sympathetic and persuaded them to wait,we picked up and after checking how he was was walked to the next tee, they were even moaning because we had to wait for the air ambulance to land, we carried on but didn't feel right, puts it into perspective when you see something like that, rang the club earlier to see if there was any news and they said he'd improved, didn't look good so hope he's ok.

Beggars belief! The total and utter selfishness and egocentricity of some people never fails to astound me.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
These people don't deserve to be members of a golf club, in fact they don't belong in a civilised society!

Thexindi

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Id have done what you did and just hang back, Cant be playing thru when something happens like that
At the end of the day golf is just a game, yeh its a great game and we all love it, but when you compare it with what happened, well....

shortstuff

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Occasions like this remind me why it's worth doing the St John's first aid course every now and then. A simple thing like checking the guy hasn't swallowed his tongue could make all the difference. After calling 999 I would have called the pro shop. I know they are first aid trained and would take charge of the situation, including telling all golfers backing up to just wait!

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There is no way that anyone should consider going anywhere near the hole until the casualty has been taken away unless they are medically trained and can offer assistance. The group wanting to play through need to take a long hard look at themselves.

I'm sure most of us have experienced seeing someone taken ill on the course, some more serious than others. My worst experience was seeing an ambulance going onto the other side of the course and someone from another group telling me that it was for the group that my Dad was playing in. The next few minutes were a blur until I found out what was happening. Fortunately for me it was my Dads best mate who had suffered an aneurysm but unfortunately for him he passed away a few hours later.

alexbrownmp

Head Pro
Visit site
Occasions like this remind me why it's worth doing the St John's first aid course every now and then. A simple thing like checking the guy hasn't swallowed his tongue could make all the difference. After calling 999 I would have called the pro shop. I know they are first aid trained and would take charge of the situation, including telling all golfers backing up to just wait!
I agree with this, it appears even the posters group carried on but posts with outrage that anyone else wants to as well.

D

Deleted member 15344

3 years ago a group of us went to Ashbury Hotel for a week for one of the guys 40th

On one hole one of our playing partners collapsed on a tee - we called ambulance and air ambulance arrived etc - one of the marshals arrived asking if the chap who we were giving CPR could be moved off the tee so people behind could continue playing

Was absolutely disgusted with him and told him in no uncertain words - he apologised and said he didn't realise it was bad ( he was gone and we knew it but his sons were there )

After he had left with the Air Ambulance I went straight to the office there to demand an explanation why their marshals would act like that. I was in total shock at this guys attitude

Sharktooth

Head Pro
Chiang Mai, Thailand and anywhere there is H2O
Visit site
I wouldn't have posted on here about it.

Perhaps it's situations like these that occur that raise the question of "what would you do?" and maybe bring it to the attention of people that don't have training, to maybe get some training? In a remote situation when you are waiting on paramedics, medivac, doctors or whatever, someone with a bit of training can keep the oxygenated blood flow running to the brain, until the "gear" turns up. As a well respected doctor once said to me "put it this way, you're not gonna make the victim any worse off if you try your best."