What do you do?

Red devil

Visit site
Started my life in the catering game, restaurant’s, hotels etc. Long hours, hard work caused marriage breakdown led to a lot of self evaluation. Fast forward and have been driving trains for the best part of 25yrs. Own boss no emails, no phone calls no manager’s breathing down one’s neck.To tell you the truth I love it, should have done it when I left school. I’ll keep the politics out of it, but as a vocation and for camaraderie etc. Love it

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I deal with these from the other side. I've always wondered who writes them. o_O;)
Document Controller for a major construction firm. Yes, every bit as dull as it sounds.
For about 5 yrs I was my company’s Quality and Risk Manager on a major UK Government service. One key part of my job was ensuring adherence to company quality standards of all documentation produced for the service and all its projects - boy did that make me a popular bunny.

Not half as much fun though as trying to get all on the teams to understand the difference between a risk and an issue, and then if they had a risk to understand what their risk actually was; how to write a description of the risk; then understand and document it’s mitigations and contingencies…painful?…jeez…🙄

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
Take care of our working cocker spaniel puppy (young adult now I guess) - no idea how people with full-time jobs manage! :D

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
This last week I‘ve spent each and every day working through a massive pile of 35yrs of paperwork and documents trying to understand my MiLs financial affairs as she is going to be transferred to a care home in the coming few weeks and she will be self-funding.

Boy it’s complicated. With me being an acting financial advisor (🤣), my wife has told her (with smile on her face) that my rates are very reasonable @£200/day (I wish).

….and I haven‘t finished 🙄

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Prob about this time 20 years back I was boarding a train to meet my apprentice group for the first time.

How time flies.

11 started. 1 joined in January. 3 left for various reasons

All but one that's left ended up in service control

Only 5 more years until we get an extra days holiday 😂

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Retired now but worked for many years as an acute mental health nurse, but for the last sixteen years I set up and managed a disability service for a children’s charity.

stevieb15

Hacker
Visit site
Commercial manager, engineering, semi conductors, building materials, retired since 2016 and now perfecting the art of active sloth, on and off the golf course.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
20 years a driving instructor
Now in semi/permanent retirement and playing as much golf as my body will let me.
Living the dream
I'm considering making the jump from the dark side (examiner) to instructor... I love being an examiner - most of us are jolly nice chaps, despite what some may tell you - but the wages are just getting me down. I get paid £14 an hour, but there is a decent pension, sick pay arrangement, and holiday allowance...

But in my local area, instructors are getting paid £45 an hour 😮 I know that you guys have a lot of costs and petrol is extortionate right now, but £45 an hour!!!

Would you recommend it?

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm considering making the jump from the dark side (examiner) to instructor... I love being an examiner - most of us are jolly nice chaps, despite what some may tell you - but the wages are just getting me down. I get paid £14 an hour, but there is a decent pension, sick pay arrangement, and holiday allowance...

But in my local area, instructors are getting paid £45 an hour 😮 I know that you guys have a lot of costs and petrol is extortionate right now, but £45 an hour!!!

Would you recommend it?

Imurg is your man for that.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Worked in office, factory, warehouse, but never stayed long.
Retired for 16 years and wondering how I ever found time to go to work.
Not a facetious comment that, but an indication of how we all experience time differently.
Runs relatively slowly when you are young and quickens as you get older.
Proves that General Relativity (Einstein) is true not just for the Cosmos but for individuals too.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Worked in office, factory, warehouse, but never stayed long.
Retired for 16 years and wondering how I ever found time to go to work.
Not a facetious comment that, but an indication of how we all experience time differently.
Runs relatively slowly when you are young and quickens as you get older.
Proves that General Relativity (Einstein) is true not just for the Cosmos but for individuals too.

See now the wife and I wonder how on earth we filled out time before the kids.

Now we fit out entire adult life's into 2 hours after their bedtime

God knows what we will do when we retire 😄

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

Would you recommend it?
Tricky one....
As you're probably aware, as an instructor, you need to work when your clients want you to work..up to a point.
There's no sick pay or holiday pay, you need to keep your car up to date as the kids murder them, fuel ain't cheap either.
For me it was the waiting lists.....I just don't have the crystal ball to tell me how well someone is going to be driving in 6 months time.
Back in the day you could take someone on, get them to do their Theory, get them up to the standard, book a test for 4-6 weeks time.
And if they failed you could get another within 2 weeks.
Now it's 24 weeks wait..most get to the standard in that's months but some don't and its really hard to turn round and say..sorry you're not ready ..and you've got to rebook for 6 months time. And it'snot going to change unless they can employ 1000 new examiners - they couldn't even get 300 in 3 campaigns..plus, at 45 quid an hour, it's hard for some of them to afford more than a couple of hours a month...
If it was like the old days I'd still be doing it...now?
Wouldn't recommend it.
Plus the DVSA are a bunch of mindless jerks who'll be first against the wall when the revolution comes.....😉