What are you growing?

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
With everyone (supposedly) growing their own food nowadays due to the cost of living crisis, thought i would start a thread to see what other people are growing.

We have a couple of 4' x 2' beds with leeks, onions, carrots (bed 1) and peas and courgettes (bed 2). All doing well.
In pots we have potatoes (2 tubs), strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, and rhubarb (this is doing nothing) and in the mini greenhouse we have chillies, loads of tomato plants and a couple of trays of lettuce - we are now on the 4th lot of lettuce and it is just refusing to do anything. We have used different soil and different seeds but still nothing.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
We're lucky enough to have a decent sized veg patch. I've got 2 rows of potatoes (a row of salads and a row of main crop), onions, carrots and parsnips and a fabulous rhubarb. We've also got lettuce, tomatoes and some brassica going in the green houses ready to plant out in the next week or so.

It doesn't really save us time or money over buying from the supermarket (or wherever else) but it's a bit of fun and gives me something to do of an evening/weekend.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have an allotment. Three weeks ago it was underwater and now it's bone dry. Grrrr.

First potatoes drowned but I had extras chitted which are doing very nicely in grow bags in the garden. Strawberries, tomatoes, cucumber, courgette, butternut squash, runner beans, french beans, beetroot, swede and cut & come again salad leaves. Think that's it :)

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
We're lucky enough to have a decent sized veg patch. I've got 2 rows of potatoes (a row of salads and a row of main crop), onions, carrots and parsnips and a fabulous rhubarb. We've also got lettuce, tomatoes and some brassica going in the green houses ready to plant out in the next week or so.

It doesn't really save us time or money over buying from the supermarket (or wherever else) but it's a bit of fun and gives me something to do of an evening/weekend.

I don't get why so many say "it's cheaper to buy it" as that really isn't the point for me. The pleasure of growing something I can eat blew me away last year in my first year of growing anything. I'd come home with the trug full and the dogs would have a look to see if there was cucumber (Daisy's favourite food) or tomatoes and I've just used the last bag of frozen tomatoes in a pasta sauce. It is frustrating as nature seems intent on sabotaging everything but I'm learning to accept the failures and move on to the successes. It's lovely to while away a few hours pootling around tidying up (I demand a weed-free plot!) and generally just being in the great outdoors.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't get why so many say "it's cheaper to buy it" as that really isn't the point for me. The pleasure of growing something I can eat blew me away last year in my first year of growing anything. I'd come home with the trug full and the dogs would have a look to see if there was cucumber (Daisy's favourite food) or tomatoes and I've just used the last bag of frozen tomatoes in a pasta sauce. It is frustrating as nature seems intent on sabotaging everything but I'm learning to accept the failures and move on to the successes. It's lovely to while away a few hours pootling around tidying up (I demand a weed-free plot!) and generally just being in the great outdoors.
And things taste a lot better - especially tomatoes

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Finally moved into our new house at the end of October last year and have been focussing mainly on getting the inside done but just before I came away we had a solid week of trying to get the garden half decent. After getting the OK from natural England to move the newts we filled in the pond and I turfed the area. The house had a greenhouse at the bottom of the garden and a rhubarb plant already established so I've left that. I've got cucumbers, tomatoes, chillies, courgette and peas all in the greenhouse and sprouts, sweetcorn and more peas growing outside sheltered by the greenhouse. On the patio we've got strawberries, blueberries and blackcurrants as well as some wild strawberries in one of the flower beds. Also got a pear tree that was absolutely laden last year. Other than that I pulled up a thorn-less blackberry plant when we got the new fence put in and took seven cuttings which are potted up but won't produce anything this season.

I'm hoping that this year I'll get the garden sorted enough to grow more next year and have already dug over two beds and covered with weed matting ready to be used when needed. I'm planning to make rhubarb and ginger gin later in the year and might also try a blackcurrant vodka if I get enough fruit as well as some pear cider.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
Having only recently moved in we are only growing a few tatties, carrots and toms, hopefully next year we will have the garden a little more sorted and can get a few other bits going. Lettuce and cucumber for starters.
I'm looking forward to having a few new potatoes with a salad later in the year

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The only thing I grow these days are apples, plums and pears. That is only because the trees were planted years ago and I am not going to cut them down.

I found that there was too much waste growing for one.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have a largish floral and lawn garden but lost a decent allotment a couple of years ago. Made my own planters (4' x 1' x 1') and growing Charlotte potatoes, 3 x lettuce, mange-tout, runner beans and rhubarb (in a flower bed). All doing nicely except slow rhubarb.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
And things taste a lot better - especially tomatoes
Absolutely. I’m not a huge tomato fan. But tomatoes straight off the plant? Amazing. And pulling potatoes, washing off and boiled with a bit of butter on top? Yes please!

When you’re talking food yards, it just doesn’t get any better.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Couple of tubs of cut and come again lettuce/rocket for me.
My wife cannot eat green vegetables or anything with seeds or skins, difficult to grow any edibles within that frame.