What do 'regular' people use Instgram for?

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My assumption is that Instgram is for <25, Celebrities or skilled people who want to showcase their trade (excellent carpenter, driver, golfer, forex traders)... I also assume 20-30% are genuine but the rest are 'fake it till you make it' camp. What do regular folks use Instragm for - other than watching other people and getting envious about it. I thought i should have a poke around via my FB account. Of the list of people it recommended to me, i have to google some..

PS: assume same for TikTok

1656405018477.png

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I have a group of "close friends" set up so that I can share images of my little man to them - and only them - via my story.

Other than that - I dont post much... last actual post was in 2020 and it was food :ROFLMAO:

I do get stuck in reel holes......

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a group of "close friends" set up so that I can share images of my little man to them - and only them - via my story.

Other than that - I dont post much... last actual post was in 2020 and it was food :ROFLMAO:

I do get stuck in reel holes......

Good lord, I hope this is not a euphemism...

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm not sure what your browsing history is like, but if those are the people it has recommended I would be very worried ....... :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I have 4 kardishians in that list!!! I have probably seen 10 mins of a kardashian show before throwing up. I am assuming the list is the 'most popular' IG-ers.
Now with FB showing IG reels inside it, i must say i have seen a lot of food and car reels. Supercarblondie is an interesting Grammer (if that is a correct phrase).

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My understanding was that the young people had left FB and used Insta instead now. I have never been there or Twitt or TT. Occasionally I pop into Fb, but that is once every blue moon, with only Whatsapp being used with any regularity.
I have no intention of feeding someone’s love of themselves

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What are regular people anyway? They’re only defined as an algorithm skewed in popularity, that’s why you end up with rubbish recommendations.

I use Instagram but curate it very carefully to only friends and subjects I’m interested in, mostly cycling related.

The FaceBook/Instagram algorithms tend to serve what you consume. If you interact in any way with popular random crap and celebrities, you get served more popular random crap and celebrities. Wipe your history and don’t let sites and apps track you for a better, more personal, experience.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I don’t…however I might have to start as my daughter no longer posts on Facebook…all her posting and piccies are on Instagram. My 30yr old son doesn't use any social media for personal purposes…it’s too toxic and he can’t be ar**d, preferring to just get on with life.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Things I have never used,
Facebook. MySpace, Twitter, Wassap (don't even know how it is spelt), Instagram, etc, etc.
I do watch things on youtube occasionally. There's some interesting stuff with a geezer playing his home course with various sets of old clubs. Fascinating!

Last edited:

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
i got instagram around 10 - 11 years ago. Back then it began as all social media did. All wide open, social sharing platform.
It began as nice artsy photos, massively overly saturated colours and an over use of a fisheye lens.
Does just seem to be thong bikini pics , stay at home mums doing multi level marketing and celebs now.

I personally use it for dog, drone and golf pics.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Facebook and this forum is the limit of my social media. Anything else and it’s over my head. Don’t do influencers etc. prefer my own memories and experiences.
Missis T has just shown me a post on her Facebook from a distant pal. She has bought some new bedding and shared it to the world. ??

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
You’ve bought a new watch and shared it to the world. What’s the difference? ?
It’s on a watch thread where folk are interested. I looked for the duvet thread and couldn’t find it. I wasn’t going to start one ?