Judged by what clubs you use???

mikee66

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Maybe everyone should carry a dunces cap. Triple bogey or worse, wear the hat of shame for the next 3 holes. I might bring that rule in to the weekend chompers society....

haha sounds like a great idea! I should have one glued to my head permanently!

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
We've touched on this before, it's down to perception.
Years ago, Dunlop was the TM/Ping/Callaway of it's day.
Then times got hard and they started churning out rubbish you wouldn't even stir paint with. Build quality was poor and component quality even worse
This perception has stuck, even though their current products are not bad their image is still that of a low-budget brand.
This will take years to change, you only have to look at the similar story of Skoda. There are still people that regard Skodas as skips on wheels.....

This VW/Skoda analogy only works if Dunlop is a niche brand owned by Titleist or Mizuno and manufactured using their specs. That ain't the case, though.

A better analogy would be a once great brand from the 80s which fell into almost terminal decline before the name was bought and used to brand a range of cheaper equipment. MG or Chevrolet, perhaps.

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You may be also forgetting an important point, retail therapy !

if you can afford to buy good gear as a reward, treat etc then go for it

I would prefer a decent brand in my bag over a "crappy" brand just because I can and it makes me feel good too !

Choice of a Dacia or a BMW guess which one I would buy, its human instinct nothing more and you are deluding yourself if you think otherwise in my opinion

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

I agree with this train of thought.
If a better quality club costs more and you can easily afford it then IMO you're a fool to go for the cheaper option.
Resale value on Dunlop clubs from what I've seen is worse than dismal, spending a bit more initially will reap rewards further down the line if you want to sell them on.
Brand snobbery is a terrible thing but unfortunately it's ingrained into society these days :rolleyes:

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
More power to the OP from me.
Imagine it gives you that little extra incentive to play/score well if you receive that look from a playing partner.

When younger always liked those cars that looked understated but owner had upgraded all sorts in them so they performed better than many a flash model.

I don't have the game to pull it off, but do hope one day to attend a forum meet and play a top flite ball - just for the reaction. :)

Yosser

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have an Nz9 lob wedge which is every bit as good as any ther wedge in my bag, and the £7.99 tp11 hybrid I bought when I first started seems to have found a permanent home in my bag :D

Any idea what the bounce is on the NZ9 Lob wedge? I've been looking for a 60 Deg lob wedge and had a look at the NZ9 and the Wilson Harmonised, both are about £18 but neither specific the bounce.

Yosser

Assistant Pro
Visit site
When younger always liked those cars that looked understated but owner had upgraded all sorts in them so they performed better than many a flash model.

I remember being in my mates' shiney Capri 2.8i when he got completely burnt off by a rusty old Triumph Dolomite Sprint, gutted he was. :lol:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
A better analogy would be a once great brand from the 80s which fell into almost terminal decline before the name was bought and used to brand a range of cheaper equipment. MG or Chevrolet, perhaps.

Given what previous posters have stated - Aussie Blades, Nicklaus, Seve etc - that seems to absolutely apply to Dunlop - at least the Golf side!

Coatsy79

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Any idea what the bounce is on the NZ9 Lob wedge? I've been looking for a 60 Deg lob wedge and had a look at the NZ9 and the Wilson Harmonised, both are about £18 but neither specific the bounce.

No idea it doesn't actually say, in use I'd say its probably more like a standard bounce for a 60 so maybe 8 or 10?

I bought it as it was £9 and had a nice milled face, seems to spin the ball well enough

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I always love seeing someone play well with a set older than me or a set that looks like a rental.

I think my MP-57s will stay in the bag, nailed a 3 iron to 20 feet today off the deck! I keep thinking I will get some new irons but I just love my current ones too much!

I also won't be ditching my Cobra S3 3 wood for a LONG time, its just the perfect 3 wood for me.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I remember being in my mates' shiney Capri 2.8i when he got completely burnt off by a rusty old Triumph Dolomite Sprint, gutted he was. :lol:

One of my friends had a Sunbeam Tiger which was basically a rare version of a standard Sunbeam sports car with a big engine.
It used to be funny watching petrol heads failing to understand why they could not overtake him.

He was quite vain and very proud of his Tiger, This led to a classic April Fool when I left a telephone number for him with a message that this guy wanted to buy his Tiger. Telephone number was Chessington Zoo.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
One of my friends had a Sunbeam Tiger which was basically a rare version of a standard Sunbeam sports car with a big engine.
Thems were the days.

Remember the 'Get Smart' TV series? Maxwell Smart/Agent 86's car - at least in the intro.

Sorry about that Chief!:D

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

I would prefer a decent brand in my bag over a "crappy" brand just because I can and it makes me feel good too !

Choice of a Dacia or a BMW guess which one I would buy, its human instinct nothing more and you are deluding yourself if you think otherwise in my opinion

But WHY???? And what am I deluding myself of? That I would prefer to be seen owning an expensive, top of the range, set of clubs etc. but as I can't afford them that I am deluding myself by pretending I wouldn't. Well I could easy afford to replace my JLs - but I'm very happy with them and proud to be playing a great Scottish name in golf. Like Jon321 I love my Letters (F7s). Is Letters a "crappy" brand? Not in my eyes it's not.

And it's human instinct to spend money on something even if you don't need it and something cheaper would do as well if not better - really? Well maybe there are some such out there - maybe many - idiots and money easily parted. Whatever rows yer boat. But doesn't impress me I'm afraid - and you'd be deluded to think everyone is impressed.

Jeez - brand snobbery. We're hitting a little white ball into a hole with metal sticks ;)

Yosser

Assistant Pro
Visit site
No idea it doesn't actually say, in use I'd say its probably more like a standard bounce for a 60 so maybe 8 or 10?

I bought it as it was £9 and had a nice milled face, seems to spin the ball well enough

Sounds the same as the Wilson, mine is showing some signs of wear after quite a bit of use out of the sand.

Yosser

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So is the general concensus that Dunlop are now manufacturing clubs of a sufficient quality to rival so called "Premium brands" such as Ping, Taylormade, Callaway, Mizuno, Titleist etc? I think there is a minimum spend before you can get involved in golf for clubs, equipment and clothes etc. just like any other sport and with golf its probably in the order of hundreds of pounds. The thing is that you don't have to spend a fortune to own a Premium brand if you shop around and look at older models. The Dunlop NZ9 irons are £280 (7 irons), you can get a set of TM Burner 2.0 irons for £280 (8 irons) or Ping G15 for £350 (8 irons). I've been picking up brand new TM RBZ Tour Fairways and Hybrids for £70-90 simply because they are last years model. I've also been able to get access to the Premium brand clubs to try on the range before purchase. I don't know where you can try Dunlop clubs before you buy as I've only really seen them in SportsDirect shops or on line.