Judged by what clubs you use???

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think anyone is saying that poor players should not play with expensive clubs. I think this thread was about players looking down their noses at other golfers who were not kitted out in expensive equipment.

My reply was in reply to some of the other posts about folk looking down their nose at less than stellar players with nice clubs.

I don't like either practice.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not at all. But if you 's******' around making sure that everyone knew what you have and regaling one and all with it's 0-60mph etc etc then you'd be heading that way. I have a good job - I have a nice car - but I don't talk about it. Ostentatious show of wealth is a bit different from what you are talking about. And Facebook has brought out the worst in many - with endless photos that say 'here am I - look what I'm doing - look what I've got - look who I've met' Paxo was having a go on this matter last night on Newsnight.

Interesting use of the auto swear mod there. Is it an American system as I can't believe anyone would take offense to that S word

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I bought Dunlop 65i irons back in the early 2000's 4-sw and paid something like 4 or 5 pound a club and I went from playing off 21 down to 14 after a few years, there was many members who were a lot higher than me with the best of stuff who could not achieve that. I have a Dunlop 5 wood and 24° hybrid that I bought over the past year in my bag and they do a good enough job.

I bought my lad as set of these some 10yrs years ago as he was beginning. £64 or so for the full set (from Hargreaves I think). 3-SW plys 3 woods and a putter. They are fine. And look fine as well. He doesn't play very much these days but they are there and when he plays they do him just grand.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Interesting use of the auto swear mod there. Is it an American system as I can't believe anyone would take offense to that S word

Yes - I thought so too. But you knew what I meant - maybe it's a 'north of the border' word :) Imagine the asterisks there would be all over the Broons and Oor Wullie pages of the SP.

mikee247

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
A friend of mine has gone the other way and Im not sure he'll recover from it.... Hes a fairly wealthy chap but not arrogant or up himself about it and recently for his "special" birthday went nuts and spend something like 3-4k on a complete make over including new Muira fitted clubs on stiff shafts (when hes got a swing speed of about 70 mph!!!) :eek: top of the range trolley, bags, 3 pairs of shoes etc etc. He then had some lessons booked with a well known PGA coach he got on Twitter and on it goes!! :eek:oo:

The problem is that at an older 20 handicapper it might be a little to late to make so many changes and be able to turn it around...when he used to be steady he's now gone completely and lost all confidence in what he was doing, he cant get out of bunkers or get it off the tee, let alone anywhere near what he was hitting it. His best round has been about 25 points in nearly 2 dozen rounds!!! Of course we are seriously on his case as a group and the banter he has to put up with is relentless as you would expect... ;) but I kind of feel sorry for him as he's clearly been suckered in by over branding, pricing and poor advice. yes hes got a nice big bag of shneys but he cant play the game with them....Its going to be ages before any sort of confidence returns and he realises my offer for the clubs is a good one and should be accepted !! :)

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
A friend of mine has gone the other way and Im not sure he'll recover from it.... Hes a fairly wealthy chap but not arrogant or up himself about it and recently for his "special" birthday went nuts and spend something like 3-4k on a complete make over including new Muira fitted clubs on stiff shafts (when hes got a swing speed of about 70 mph!!!) :eek: top of the range trolley, bags, 3 pairs of shoes etc etc. He then had some lessons booked with a well known PGA coach he got on Twitter and on it goes!! :eek:oo:

The problem is that at an older 20 handicapper it might be a little to late to make so many changes and be able to turn it around...when he used to be steady he's now gone completely and lost all confidence in what he was doing, he cant get out of bunkers or get it off the tee, let alone anywhere near what he was hitting it. His best round has been about 25 points in nearly 2 dozen rounds!!! Of course we are seriously on his case as a group and the banter he has to put up with is relentless as you would expect... ;) but I kind of feel sorry for him as he's clearly been suckered in by over branding, pricing and poor advice. yes hes got a nice big bag of shneys but he cant play the game with them....Its going to be ages before any sort of confidence returns and he realises my offer for the clubs is a good one and should be accepted !! :)

May he RIP

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I haven't read all of this thread, but there are a couple of points I would like to make.

Back in the day, Dunlop was one of the leading brands and many top players played Australian Blade irons and other brands. They always also made starter sets but the whole brand went downmarket in the late 90s, or thereabouts.

The clubs the OP plays are only partly Dunlop, having upgraded, presumably aftermarket, shafts. This makes a very big difference. Despite what manufacturers say, the head is a relatively simple piece of technology, but the shaft makes an enormous difference.

Clearly some clubs are better made than others, but many also have huge amounts of hype and marketing added into the price. There are some pretty good mid market sleeper sets, though, with good quality components and manufacturing but missing on the loaded price tags.

big_eck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
it was a £30 full set of dunlops that got me golfing unfotunalty they didnt fit me as im 6ft 8 and they were off the shelf so after a lesson with them the pro didnt say anything about th clubs just that i needed them longer so i did get custom clubs and now my brother makes use of the dunlops and refuses to change them, no need they do the job!

Yosser

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We've touched on this before, it's down to perception.
This will take years to change, you only have to look at the similar story of Skoda. There are still people that regard Skodas as skips on wheels.....

Not the same. The Skoda name is now owned by VW, when you buy a Skoda its a VW with a Skoda badge on the front. VW have different branding and pricing depending on the global region. Clever marketing.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
I only hear good things about the current Dunlops. I had a starter set a couple of years ago, the irons were ok really, the shafts in the woods though were horrendous, I'm sure they were bits of old fishing rod. I like a little waggle to loosen up and lose the tension, by the time the club head had stopped oscillating I'd got all tense again.

Reading numerous magazine testing reviews from some pretty good players these shaft issues seem to be a thing of the past.

Yosser

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi There.
Cheaper Brands have a place in the market and encourages people to take up the game and allows people to get back into the game without spending a pile of dough.

I bought a full set of Dunlops clubs from Sportsdirect for £60 because I wasn't sure whether I would take to the sport - the starting price for a set of clubs for a novice is so off putting. Anyway they were great and I was amazed you could get a decent set for that price. When I got hooked I did out grow them due to the fact that the woods and longer irons didn't provide the distance, mid and short irons were still great but the putter left a lot to be desired. After hiring a set of Taylormade RBZ irons/woods for a week I could see a marked advantage with the TM clubs over the Dunlops and purchased the RBZ woods as a consequence, but I didn't like the RBZ irons. I bought the Burner irons and Smoke putter because I hit them well and they were the right price - everything felt right. I also think the TM kit will last me, I'm not so sure how well the Dunlops will hold up playing two to three times a week.

I've just had a set of TM Stage 2 woods / Rockbladez irons on hire for a week, irons were ok possibly more forgiving than the Burners but I had to club up for the same distance. Woods were shocking and I think it is because TM keep lengthening shaft and jacking lofts to get more distance, bit pointless for an ameteur who's main concern is control. So to me TM are moving away from making great clubs which are easy to hit; to clubs with jacked lofts / shaft lengths which are more difficult to hit in order to satisfy their "longer hitting" marketing.

The Pro at a range near me said to me never get rid of a club which you hit well, and I think that is so true, regardless of the make or model. The one concern is that if it dosen't have the build quality, performance will be affected long term, my Wilson wedge is looking a bit knackered after being played out of the sand so much, pretty sure a Vokey would have less groove wear after the same use.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Of the 18 guys who've played in our swindle for the last 5yrs, I haven't got a clue what clubs any of them play with. I don't know what their handicaps are either, well apart from the 1-ish handicapper - he might be off 2. They are great company, and that's all I want from them.

That said, I do know what most of them drink.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm amazed by the number of high handicappers that spend a fortune on a set of clubs and then say "I only got them because I hit them really well". No you don't. You're playing off 24 so you can't be hitting them that well can you?

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm amazed by the number of high handicappers that spend a fortune on a set of clubs and then say "I only got them because I hit them really well". No you don't. You're playing off 24 so you can't be hitting them that well can you?

Lol true, but..... But it's been mentioned a few times recently, as a higher handicapper, it's all about how good your bad shots are. If X clubs bad shot is not a disaster, worth a few extra quid IMHO...

inthecup

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I played a set of offset Nicholas Bear irons for 14 years until I replaced them 2 years ago. I also had a Warbird 3 wood and second hand 8 year old Mizuno driver. I got down to 5 with them no bother. Also being a tight Scotsman and like playing pro v's (refuse to pay £40 a dozen) all my balls were purchased from eBay!

I also came across a few snobs who turned there nose up at my set. One of which was a 1 Hcap in a club champ tie who had all the latest gear. All square (both level par) through 13. I stiff one at the next a par 3 to 2 inches then proceed to play the last 4 1 under and win 2 up. The little barsteward wasn't bothered about my equipment then when he turned his head, shook my hand and ran away on the 18th!

It's not the club, it's the person using it. We also never know what other people's circumstances are. I would rather play with old clubs than not play at all!

Coatsy79

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'd certainly try more dunlop stuf, if you had the chance to hit it before you bought it

And yes I know I have had a bit of a joke in my sig regarding my hybrid, but its just that, a joke

Much like "what do you call a skoda with a sunroof........a skip"

For the record skodas are now among some of the best built cars in the VW/Audi group, many are better made than there VW equivilant

If a club gives you the confidence to hit it then who cares what's written on it!