Judged by what clubs you use???

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I turned up at a club as a member guest recently, when i left the pro shop after the pro had obviously caught a look at my bag, the pro said to my mate

"is your buddy really good? or just a chomper with too much money?"

We all know the real answer!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Bought my clubs because the price was right and I could hit them ok. Not because some tour player used them or promoted them but because they were a good fit. As you know I'm now looking to upgrade to a custom fitted set and the short list is TM (Rocketbladez Tour), Cally (X-Hot Pro) and Ping (I20 or G25). I've gone for these as I've hit them well when I've trialled them and so looking for what gives me the best fit. If I had trialled Dunlop, or any other so called lesser brand (Hippo - are they still going?) and the numbers on trackman showed they were right I would have given them a go. I have been a gear whore and I've met plenty but these days its about making it as easy as possible and all about the best clubs for the job. Whats in a name and I think the OP and his 7 iron proved that perfectly

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
I think it's a mixture of the endless marketing we get subjected to, and the engrained snobbyness/elitism in the game.

But I guess it's no different to other aspects of life with property/cars/clothes etc.

Agree entirely with you Mr A.

Dunlop aren't in your face all the time like other manufacturers - I know Westwood is sponsored by them and I think Darren Clarke too (but I can't be entirely sure if they use their clubs), Harrington as well? They aren't exactly slouches - you have 4 majors won in that 3-ball.

I find the marketing angle hilarious with golf equipment manufacturers.
Stuff like;
'we bring greens closer, much closer' hahahha, of course you do.
'our longest irons ever' really? don't worry about giving me my card back and the pin number is ---- just keep tallying up equipment on it for me
'blah blah technology which will blah blah make you amazing blah blah'

If golf marketing was genuine we would all be hitting it 1000 yards by now!

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
I guess it is like anything in life.
When people make a big purchase they want to show off.
If they didn't why would people spend shed loads on top range cars, or buy houses in specific postcodes so they are seen as living in a desirable area.

I personally couldn't give two hoots about the clubs someone uses - whether they are top of the range or not.
Although I do have to smile at the people that dress like they have a tee time in the Open but play like they have never held a club before.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
Agree entirely with you Mr A.

Dunlop aren't in your face all the time like other manufacturers - I know Westwood is sponsored by them and I think Darren Clarke too (but I can't be entirely sure if they use their clubs), Harrington as well? They aren't exactly slouches - you have 4 majors won in that 3-ball.

I find the marketing angle hilarious with golf equipment manufacturers.
Stuff like;
'we bring greens closer, much closer' hahahha, of course you do.
'our longest irons ever' really? don't worry about giving me my card back and the pin number is ---- just keep tallying up equipment on it for me
'blah blah technology which will blah blah make you amazing blah blah'

If golf marketing was genuine we would all be hitting it 1000 yards by now!

They don't mate, Padraig plays Wilson Staff and Lee plays Ping.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
If they didn't why would people spend shed loads on top range cars, or buy houses in specific postcodes so they are seen as living in a desirable area.

I personally couldn't give two hoots about the clubs someone uses - whether they are top of the range or not.
Although I do have to smile at the people that dress like they have a tee time in the Open but play like they have never held a club before.

I personally don't care what people spend their money on at all, sometimes people want to reward themselves and quite right. Not a hint of jealousy from me at Rowallan Castle on Monday when I returned to my Insignia to find someone had parked their Vantage next to it.

The problem for me, and many others I suppose, is the person that use their purchase to attempt to vocalise some sort of perceived superiority, which doesn't really work - it just makes them look a bit of a tool.

sydney greenstreet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I bought Dunlop 65i irons back in the early 2000's 4-sw and paid something like 4 or 5 pound a club and I went from playing off 21 down to 14 after a few years, there was many members who were a lot higher than me with the best of stuff who could not achieve that. I have a Dunlop 5 wood and 24° hybrid that I bought over the past year in my bag and they do a good enough job.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Not all of us do (mind you when did I last make a big purchase?).

In my eyes blatent shows of wealth or showing off what you've got are vulgar and reflect badly on the individual. It seems that we do live in a rather narcissistic 'look at me, love me, here I am' and 'it's all about me' society these days. Maybe that's why there are so many irritable and angry people about - even when they are doing everyday things. If you don't get your own way or someione does something that isn't as you'd do it, you get resentful, and when you get resentful you get angry.

Ah well...I remain serene and accept that which I cannot change.

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
The problem for me, and many others I suppose, is the person that use their purchase to attempt to vocalise some sort of perceived superiority, which doesn't really work - it just makes them look a bit of a tool.

Totally agree and a perfect example of when the word 'tool' is the best word to use.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site

In my eyes blatent shows of wealth or showing off what you've got are vulgar and reflect badly on the individual. It seems that we do live in a rather narcissistic 'look at me, love me, here I am' and 'it's all about me' society these days. Maybe that's why there are so many irritable and angry people about - even when they are doing everyday things. If you don't get your own way or someione does something that isn't as you'd do it, you get resentful, and when you get resentful you get angry.

I think it depends on the persons attitude. For example, I would love an Aston Martin DB9; the only way I will ever own one is if I win the lottery. Yes it would show that I was very wealthy but that wouldn't be my reason for owning it.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site

So if i worked really hard, saved up cash and bought an Aston Martin i would be vulgar?

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What does it say then if they have worn grips and dirty grooves?

As the lowest handicap guy i know off +3 has no interest in his gear at all.

his irons must be at least 20 years old the driver is 10 years old, he never cleans them and his bag is falling apart, the putter hardly has any grip left on it.

its the indian not the arrows.

In the 1960 I used to occasionally play with a guy like that, he also had an 'old man's' slouchy walk.
We always said that it was worth a 3 up lead on the first tee when he played folk who did not know him.
He was the only bald headed guy to claim the Scottish Boys Championship... bit of trivia for you.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm very lucky in that I get reasonably well paid for what I do so.

I drive a nice car and I have over the past 2 years treated myself to new golf clubs after playing with a set of Hippos I got out of a catalogue some 15 years ago.

I'm far from a scratch golfer but I couldn't care less what anyone thinks of my golf gear or whether I'm entitled to have it or not based on my golfing ability. I have the clubs I have because I like them and can hit them reasonably well a fair amount of the time. They are far from the cheapest clubs available but they're not the dearest ones in the shop either. My only objective when looking for new clubs was to find ones I liked and could hit.

As my old granny, now dearly departed used to say "if you don't like me you can turn your a**e to me!!"

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In the 1960 I used to occasionally play with a guy like that, he also had an 'old man's' slouchy walk.
We always said that it was worth a 3 up lead on the first tee when he played folk who did not know him.
He was the only bald headed guy to claim the Scottish Boys Championship... bit of trivia for you.

Sandy Williamson.... won the boys title in 1939 and after the war in 1947 he was presented with the trophy. [by which time he had gone bald.]
Hell of a player, he was still playing off scratch in his 60's. Recently departed.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
So if i worked really hard, saved up cash and bought an Aston Martin i would be vulgar?

Not at all. But if you 's******' around making sure that everyone knew what you have and regaling one and all with it's 0-60mph etc etc then you'd be heading that way. I have a good job - I have a nice car - but I don't talk about it. Ostentatious show of wealth is a bit different from what you are talking about. And Facebook has brought out the worst in many - with endless photos that say 'here am I - look what I'm doing - look what I've got - look who I've met' Paxo was having a go on this matter last night on Newsnight.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm very lucky in that I get reasonably well paid for what I do so.

I drive a nice car and I have over the past 2 years treated myself to new golf clubs after playing with a set of Hippos I got out of a catalogue some 15 years ago.

I'm far from a scratch golfer but I couldn't care less what anyone thinks of my golf gear or whether I'm entitled to have it or not based on my golfing ability. I have the clubs I have because I like them and can hit them reasonably well a fair amount of the time. They are far from the cheapest clubs available but they're not the dearest ones in the shop either. My only objective when looking for new clubs was to find ones I liked and could hit.

As my old granny, now dearly departed used to say "if you don't like me you can turn your a**e to me!!"

I don't think anyone is saying that poor players should not play with expensive clubs. I think this thread was about players looking down their noses at other golfers who were not kitted out in expensive equipment.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not at all. But if you 's******' around making sure that everyone knew what you have and regaling one and all with it's 0-60mph etc etc then you'd be heading that way. I have a good job - I have a nice car - but I don't talk about it. Ostentatious show of wealth is a bit different from what you are talking about. And Facebook has brought out the worst in many - with endless photos that say 'here am I - look what I'm doing - look what I've got - look who I've met' Paxo was having a go on this matter last night on Newsnight.

i hear you. they do 0-60 in under 5 seconds you know!