Why do people get 'fitted' for clubs?

cleanstrike

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Now, this might sound a bit naive to many of you but bear in mind that this a genuine question from a novice that doesn't yet know too much about golf. It's something I still don't quite understand.

I've seen various mentions on here about getting 'fitted' for clubs. Why do people do that? What's the point? Why not just buy clubs and simply get used to them by means of practicing with them?

For instance, I was fortunate enough to be given a 3-PW set of Taylormade irons as a freebie. I've gone out to the range / course and practiced with them. Slowly but surely I've got used to the balance and feel of the things and I'm improving ball strike just through continuous use of the tools I've got.

Same with my driver and 3 wood. I went out and bought Taylormade Burner Superfast because they were the same make as my irons and I read they were good for beginners. Now I'm simply whacking them out there whilst making minor adjustments to the way I use it so the ball goes where I want it to go.

So, why bother getting 'fitted' instead of just getting used to using what you've already got.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Why do people adjust the position of the driver's seat in cars? Why do people buy clothes in different sizes? Because people are different sizes so it makes it more comfortable for them, and it's the same with golf clubs. Getting them fitted means they should suit you better than off the shelf clubs, particularly if you are particularly large or small. Not everyone agrees with it, I do, but I do fit into the particularly large category.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Now, this might sound a bit naive to many of you but bear in mind that this a genuine question from a novice that doesn't yet know too much about golf. It's something I still don't quite understand.

I've seen various mentions on here about getting 'fitted' for clubs. Why do people do that? What's the point? Why not just buy clubs and simply get used to them by means of practicing with them?

For instance, I was fortunate enough to be given a 3-PW set of Taylormade irons as a freebie. I've gone out to the range / course and practiced with them. Slowly but surely I've got used to the balance and feel of the things and I'm improving ball strike just through continuous use of the tools I've got.

Same with my driver and 3 wood. I went out and bought Taylormade Burner Superfast because they were the same make as my irons and I read they were good for beginners. Now I'm simply whacking them out there whilst making minor adjustments to the way I use it so the ball goes where I want it to go.

So, why bother getting 'fitted' instead of just getting used to using what you've already got.

Perhaps somewhat extreme, but it certainly demonstrates my answer to your question....

Would you have done the same 'get used to them' if they were 2 inches shorter, or longer? Or with Extra-Stiff shafts? Or 'Pensioner Flex' shafts?

BiM's analogy re Driver's seat in cars is pretty appropriate.

Even in a family, there are differences in attributes. When standing, I'm 2 inches shorter than my brother; when sitting, I'm 1 inch 'taller'! And I have a longer reach!

Whether it makes much real (as opposed to psychological) difference or is cost effective (and how do you measure that?) is a different question!

Last edited:

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
its easier to get a fitted club to suit your swing and physique than to change to suit the club:thup:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
its easier to get a fitted club to suit your swing and physique than to change to suit the club:thup:

Maybe so; maybe not.

My swing certainly changes, or at least needs to change, according to which of several Drivers I'm using!

cleanstrike

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm not sure about the driver's seat analogy, to be honest. I certainly wouldn't go out and buy a car just because the driving seat was a nice, snug fit and I'd have thought that the average motorist wouldn't bother going to the additional expense of having a custom made seat installed just because the one that's already there is tad uncomfortable to sit in. They get used to what's there within the constraints of the adjustment available to them.

And, obviously, people have differing lengths of reach so I'd have thought you just stand closer or further away whilst keeping the club head in the correct position relative to the golf ball.

cleanstrike

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Cos the shaft is the most important part of the club , get this wrong and your onto a loser from the start

Can you expand on that, please? I have seen that there are different shafts available (e.g. regular, stiff etc.) and I assume they offer different amounts of flexibility but what difference does that make to the way you swing and strike the ball? I suppose there must also be an optimum length depending on an individual's stature as well.

Also, do sets of irons have different shaft choices or are we talking about woods only here?

Last edited:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'm not sure about the driver's seat analogy, to be honest. I certainly wouldn't go out and buy a car just because the driving seat was a nice, snug fit and I'd have thought that the average motorist wouldn't bother going to the additional expense of having a custom made seat installed just because the one that's already there is tad uncomfortable to sit in. They get used to what's there within the constraints of the adjustment available to them.

And, obviously, people have differing lengths of reach so I'd have thought you just stand closer or further away whilst keeping the club head in the correct position relative to the golf ball.

You could take a basic adjustment in lie angle.

If you're playing clubs with a massively wrong lie, being a good few degrees out for your swing (Example: You require 2° flat but have 3° urpight), would have noticable effect on how the club head meets the ball.

Take another - Shaft flex:

If you have a swingspeed similar to, lets say, Swinger on here (...Well over 100MPH) and more suited to the fire poker/scaffold pole/lead pipe type of shaft, but are given an A-flex or ladies flex shaft, the results would be a lottery at best.

I'm personally a fan of the custom fit process as I've had my irons, wedges and putter all custom fit.

I'm not saying it's a neccecity. That's up to the individual to decide whether they want to go down that route or not, but in my eyes it was £40 well spent :thup:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Can you expand on that, please? I have seen that there are different shafts available (e.g. regular, stiff etc.) and I assume they offer different amounts of flexibility but what difference does that make to the way you swing and strike the ball? I suppose there must also be an optimum length depending on an individual's stature as well.

Also, do sets of irons have different shaft choices or are we talking about woods only here?

Woods and irons both have various shaft options. These vary on far more than just flex too, they vary on kickpoint, weight, material, length and can make a massive difference to a golfer

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The reason people get fitted is the game is hard enough as it is, no point in making it harder by using clubs that aren't suitable for your swing, stature.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I think the reason changes depending on what level you are at. If you are a single figure handicapper with a reliable repeatable swing then I imagine fitting will make a big difference as your competence will mean you get the most out of custom fitted clubs.

If you are a happy hacker then you could argue fitting is less essential as you may not be good enough for it to make an appreciable difference. I get the point about someone with a fast swing speed not getting a very flexible shaft, but then again you could argue that you could work that out with a little bit of research, and there's no need to get fitted for a specific set of clubs made up to do that. Also I am more than aware that my incompetence with a driver is due to my technique, and not the fact that I do not have the correct kick point or whatever in the shaft.

Personally I am a happy hacker and I got fitted as I convinced myself that if I did at least I knew the clubs were sort of correct for me, and any problems would now be mostly due to my incompetence. In real life I am not sure if it makes that much difference at my level as long as I am not trying to play unforgiving blades.

But then again as a lot of golf is in the mind, if it makes you feel better and more confident, and you are shelling out on a new set of clubs anyway, then go for it.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site

Why not get fitted?

In the vast majority of cases where an up front fee is required, the fee is deducted from any purchase so if you fully intend to purchase new clubs then the fitting process is free of charge. So you get to try your chosen club with various different shafts to see what gives the best results for you and you also get the correct lie and length of club. If you can get that done for free, why would you not?

D

Deleted member 1147

Well, if I were to change my car the comfort of the seat/seating position would be one of my main priorities.

As for standing in a different position if your clubs are the wrong length...what about the lie angle? You'd end up digging the toe of the club into the turf, spooning the ball off to the right. Or hitting heal first, closing the face and hitting it left.
But then again, you could just change where you aim to compensate:thup:

D

Deleted member 1147

I'm just imagining the possible results of using totally the wrong set of clubs:

You are given a set of std length & lie, regular flex clubs.

You have a very fast swing speed so you have to slow that down.
You are very tall so you have to stand closer to the ball.
Because you stand closer the shaft is more upright, so you hit it toe down, as such you have to aim left to make up for the face opening on impact with the ground.
You then have to club up because the face opening adds loft.

Basically you've gone from having a nice fast/powerful swing, from a good set up, aiming directly at the target to a position in which you manage your game around the wrong set of clubs.

I'd rather be CF'd.

S

Snelly

People are custom fitted for clubs because the club manufacturers have successfully convinced a generation of golfers that it is the only way to play. In addition, club makers now offer a myriad of options to further embellish the case and indeed, they have probably succeeded in making it a requirement as there are now so many more ways to get buying a set of clubs horribly wrong.

The reason that manufacturers have done this is because it means they make more money. It is that simple.

What CF evangelists conveniently forget of course is that before custom fitting existed, lots of people played golf very well and shot under par. Quite incredible really to think that they did this without smash factors, launch monitors and fancy shafts. But they did.